Baking | Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake … deliciousness in every bite

“Coffee and chocolate—the inventor of mocha should be sainted.”
Cherise Sinclair

Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake … a promise of deliciousness in every bite. As the name suggests, the cake had everything we love about desserts – Coffee + Chocolate + Mascarpone! These days I crave coffee more than ever, so the cake was meant to have some! There was none other I would have made that day!

Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake ’twas a cake for my SILs birthday. It came together without a plan.  That’s just how life is these days. With the daughter in her final year in school, board exams round the corner, driving, driving and more driving is all I seem to do. The days are a whir of exam pick ups and drops. Loads of fast track shopping as school farewells, graduation ceremonies  etc are part of the muddled weave.

Food on PAB… and then there is junior. Recently back from a trip to HKG with his dad where all they did was eat, he is always hungry. Makes for an ideal guinea pig. He’s currently immersed into Krav Maga, a form of Israeli self defense. In addition is a new found love for boxing. More adds to the list – the dog, the neighbours little kitten {who Coco incidentally hates}, the soup trials, the dessert trials, olive oil cookies … and definitely not salad!

Food on PABIn the midst of this mayhem, there are recipes being developed for a client. That might explain the ‘trials‘. Between racing around madly, I try and sneak in the odd recipe testing as the deadline approaches fast. Of course there is normal everyday life too … laundry, groceries, da dog, da blog … birthdays too!

Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake The Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake happened as the day progressed. The sponge is my basic ‘in the head‘ recipe. It’s one that never fails me, and one I keep experimenting with it. This time I added a dash of baking powder, beat it in actually, to save time sifting it with the flour. Worked out fine.

Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake While the two sponges were baking, I figured I could make some mascarpone alongside. As the cream reached a cautious bubble, chocolate pastry creme seemed doable for a filling. It was a cake on the trot. I had the sponges baked and the rest of the components done the night before too! Happiness is …

Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake For the ‘day’, all I had was the cake to put together or assemble. I did that at the crack of dawn! That’s the fun part, and in many ways a relief. It does amount to a LOT of washing up though, so be prepared.

Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake The cake was special. Beautiful flavours. Light. Moist. Full of flavour! 6 layers of deliciousness. It’s a bit of work I have to admit, but planning ahead is the key. If you get most of the work done a day or two before, you won’t feel the pinch.

Coffee quotes

Recipe: Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake your picture

Summary:  Beautiful flavours. Light. Moist … absolutely delicious! With 6 layers of deliciousness,  the Coffee Chocolate Mascarpone Layered Cake promises to be special. Make the components a day or two ahead to make the task feel less daunting!

Prep Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours {plus resting/cooling/chilling

• Coffee sponge cakes {make 2 X 4 egg sponges, the quantities below are for 1 sponge only. Double them}
  • 4 eggs
  • 20g instant coffee
  • Dark chocolate glaze
  • 100g dark couverture chocolate
  • 50g unsalted butter
  • 15g honey
  • To garnish
  • Dark chocolate flakes, cocoa nibs, cocoa

• Coffee Sponge Cake {Make 2 X 4 egg sponges}
  • Preheat oven to 190C. Line 2 X 8″ loose bottomed round baking tins with parchment paper.
  • Make 1 sponge at a time {or an 8 egg one if you have large bowls}
  • Place the eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Hold the bowl over simmering water. Beat the eggs until they have tripled in volume, and become mousse like, 5-7 minutes.
  • Take off water, add vanilla and beat for another 1-2 minutes.
  • Beat in the coffee extract, coffee powder, baking powder and salt.
  • Sift 1/3 of the flour into the bowl and gently fold in with a metal spoon/spatula. Repeat with the remaining flour.
  • Turn batter into tins and bake for 30 minutes, until lightly coloured and a tester comes out clean.
  • Cool cakes in tin for 5 minutes, the then remove from tin and cool completely on rack. Slice each cake into 3 horizontally, total 6 layers.
  • Coffee Syrup
  • Place all ingredients in a small saucepan. Simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Cool completely.
  • Mocha Pastry Creme
  • Bring 200ml milk, vanilla sugar and a pinch of salt to a gentle boil in a pot.
  • In the meantime, whisk the egg yolks and sugar with a wooden spoon in a big bowl until the mixture becomes pale and light. Stir in the flour slowly until it is thoroughly mixed with the egg mixture.
  • Pour the boiling milk into the mixture a little by little while whisking continuously to avoid curdling. And then stir in the rest of the milk until the mixture is well combined.
  • Transfer the whole mixture into a pot, with the chocolate and seeds scraped from the vanilla bean, and heat it under low setting. Stir it constantly with the wooden spoon or spatula scraping the sides and bottom until it has thickened.
  • Once the custard has thickened, take it off the heat, and strain / pour it into a clean bowl. Cool, cover with cling wrap touching the surface, then chill for a few hours.
  • Filling
  • Sprinkle the gelatin over 30ml warm water to dissolve.
  • Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Gently stir the mocha pastry cream through it, mixing uniformly. Stir in the cooled gelatin.
  • Note: If you use heavy whipping cream, you will not need he gelatin
  • Coffee mascarpone frosting
  • Whip the cream wit the sugar and coffee to medium stiff peaks. Fold the mascarpone gently though it, making sure you don’t lose any volume.
  • Assemble
  • Lay the first layer on a serving platter and place a snug dessert ring around  it. Paint the layer with the coffee syrup and top with 1/5th of the filling. Repeat with remaining layers.
  • Frost with the coffee mascarpone cream. Chill or at least an hour in the fridge.
  • Dark chocolate glaze
  • Place all ingredients in a heat proof bowl. Microwave for 1 minute. Mix and repeat if required. Cool a little, and when still pour-able, pour gently and evenly over the cake allowing it to drip over the sides.
  • Garnish as desired.
  • Note: Slice with a serrated knife dipped in hot water and wiped dry.

• Finla

That is a beautiful cake and i love cakes with coffee flavour, i might give it a try for a sunday when i have time.
    Ofcourse he is always hungry as he is a growin young fellow. Good to hear he has lots of eating fun with his dad .

LOL Finla…do remember you asked me to send him over a few months ago! He’ll eat his way through your home, and no veggie lunches for him! 😉

• Deeba!! Just look at that first pic… one does not even need to say anything more!! that pic tells you that cake is a winner!!!
    Sarvani (baker in disguise)´s last blog post ..White Chocolate And Coffee Truffle Brownies .. .. Baker-in-Disguise Turns Two!!!My Profile

TY Sarvani…did I hear coffee & chocolate your end too? YUM!!

Deeba…I can smell the coffee already. ..I’ve been busy…but this is on my to do list ASAP. ..the cake looks awesome. ..

Hi Deeba,

Through your posts I have seen your kiddies growing into beautiful & handsome teens. All the best to Meher for boards.

I have few confusions …pls suggest:
    1) The measurements given for sponge is for 1 cake right.
    2) For coffee mascorpone frosting, cream you mentioned is light cream or whipping cream.

Thanks so much in advance!!!
    Hina´s last blog post ..Food Event – A Live Cookout With Four Seasons Wines, Weber Grills & the HyattMy Profile

Hi Hina. Yes right. have included a little note. You need to make 2 4egg sponges. All the cream is low fat and works well in winter, but is still tedious to whip up.

That looks too pretty to be homemade!! If only mine would look half that good I would be content :)

Your 3 eggs, 1/2 c flour and 1/2 c sugar sponge is one of my ‘in the head’ recipes which I absolutely love!

Coffee, mascarpone and chocolate, I don’t need to know more, yumm!!
    Suma Rowjee´s last blog post ..Saffron Tuiles With Saffron & Pistachio Diplomat CreamMy Profile

• I love the creamy mascarpone with the chocolate and coffee combination!! As usual, Deeba your pictures are stunning and truly inspirational to an aspiring food photograher like me!
    Zainab @ Blahnik Baker´s last blog post ..Buffalo Chicken Dip BitesMy Profile

I agree w Cherise – the inventor of mocha SHOULD be sainted!

This cake is simply gorgeous, Deeba. I want to dive in!
    Cannot wait to bake one. xo
    Coco in the Kitchen´s last blog post ..Maille Salmon: An Elegant Foodie GiveawayMy Profile

• Now that’s what I call a cake!
    Lizzy (Good Things – Australia)´s last blog post ..Mixed berry frozen yoghurtMy Profile

This cake and your photos… absolute perfection!

• Romila

Looks yummilicious….gorgeous!!! just salivating at the thought of how good it would be tasting :) Deeba – I request you to open ur own baking classes :) :)

• natasha

Super super super! As always Deeba!

You had me at coffee! Chocolate & Mascarpone is a bonus!

Gorgeous pics! Too much droooling is happening :)
    Riddhi´s last blog post ..Strawberry Jalapeño SalsaMy Profile

emmy cake and YESSS … cream with coffee is actually like literature with optimism :-)
    sangeeta khanna´s last blog post ..barley and mushroom soup | using alternative grains for everyday mealsMy Profile

Oh, that cake looks amazing! I really love the way you decorated it. I’d lov eto enjoy a slice of that cake while reading a book…

• mimi

Hi there!
    Cake looks great! I am definitely goint to try out this recipe!
    I was hoping you would be able to clarify the ingredient list and instructions for the mocha pastry creme section? I wasn’t able to follow the instructions with the ingredient list provided.

This cake look amazing and your son look awesome!!
    gloria´s last blog post ..Rustic Beer BreadMy Profile

The cake looks amazing and i get the flavours here! You cake are just too beautiful to eat anyways. LOve the cake stand!
    Ananda Rajashekar´s last blog post ..We have moved.My Profile

• Yummy coffee chocolate cake.. It’s my favorite. Thanks for sharing this. Great!

• candice

Hi I made your cake and kept to ur recipe. Everything was good but the sponge WAS NOT!!! in fact it was horrible. Not only did it not rise, it was chewy, thin and hard. I assume you have forgotten to add butter to it or whatever.
    I just used my own recipe for sponge with butter and self-raising flour instead of plain flour as you suggest and it came out ok.
    Perhaps you should double check your recipe before you post online!

Hi Candice. This is a recipe I make often, and this morning as well. No, there is no butter in it, it’s a fatless sponge and works good every time. Since it’s fatless and a very basic sponge recipe, it needs very gentle handling so as not to release the beaten in air. Sorry it didn’t work out for you.I have never had an issue with this … and neither have many who use this as a basic recipe. :-(

Yummmy cake!! already bookmarked the recipe, will try this soon. Awesome photographs, love it !!

• Rekha

wow!….Amazing…..Yummy Cake!!!…definitely planning to make this for Valentine’s day….

I have a few doubts…might sound silly ..
    1)Is there a substitute for coffee extract? I couldn’t find it here in Aus.
    2)The measurements given for sponge is for 1 cake rt? So shud I double the qty for the rest also..I mean,filling,frosting etc….or just double only the cake measurements?
    3)Iam planning to bake the cake 2 days ahead & do the assembling on the V day…Shud I refrigerate the cake or leave it @room temp?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Rekha,
      Thank you for the sweet words.
      1) Just add another tsp of instant coffee iso extract
      2) Right. Please make two 4 egg sponges. The remaining fillings, frostings etc are as is
      3} Refrigerate please {cling wrapped because must be warm down under}
      Good luck.
      Hope this helps!

• Rekha

Wow!….Amazing….Yummy cake..definitely planning to make this for V-Day!

I have a few doubts…might sound silly..
    1)Is there a substitute for coffee extract?I couldn’t find any here in Aus..
    2)The measurement given is for 1sponge rt? So shud I also double the qty for the rest…I mean filing,frosting etc…or just double only for the cake?
    3)Iam planning to bake the cake 2 days ahead & do the assembling on the Vday…shud I refrigerate the cake till then?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

• manjeet

Hi Deeba,

Have been missing out on baking for some time now..too much work and horrible weather here in Mumbai so kids falling sick often..I’ll bake this cake soon when the gods smile again on me..:) In the meantime have a query:
    If I “set” cream , homemade – full fat that is , using our Indian dahi , and I use that for making mascarpone , will that work? or do I need to add lemon juice to it still?

Love ,

Hey Manjeet, so nice to see you again. Hope the kids are fine, and the smiles are back in place.
      Not sure if setting homemade cream will work here. I make my mascarpone with Amul low fat cream. You might still need to add the lemon juice to slghtly curdle the cream and get rid of excess whey. Do tell me what you eventually do… GOOD LUCK!

looks amazing as always and what a handsome boy
    rebecca´s last blog post ..Roasted Broccoli and Blood OrangeMy Profile

• Rekha

Hi Deeba,
    Made the cake ….it was indeed a treat for the valentine’s day..

• Rekha

Hi Deeba,
    Made the cake ….it was indeed a treat for the valentine’s day..

Hi Deeba,

So this is the second recipe I tried and oh man what a cake it was.

By the way made a few changes to the cake added coffee liqueur (Kahlua) instead of coffee extract and the frosting tasted divine :)

It took me 3 days to finish the cake simply because I decided to make the mascarpone cheese and it tuned out great and never knew it was so easy to make. The sponge cake came out a little dry and am assuming it’s due to the mousse which I didn’t make correctly but I have never had good results without butter so made the second round of sponge cake with butter.

Thanks for the wonderful recipe and I must tell you my cake looked so pretty ..since my son loves chocolate I had to cover the entire cake with the glaze to make him happy.

• Elli
    6 months ago

I baked the cake for a friend’s birthday party yesterday. The whole cake turned out tasting wonderful but some things did not work well for me:
    The sponge became flat in the baking – very tasty but too dense to use for this creation, so I had to fall back on a pound cake recipe.

All the layers and icing turned out too thin, though I used full-fat everything.

However, it was my first layer cake and my first mocha cake, and it turned out really well – my best cake to date, as I usually stick to simple cakes which do not have such a complex feel.

Thanks for sharing the creation and the next time I will allow more time for the fillings to set and beat the cream stiffer. The mocha pastry cream came out really well and I will also use it in fruit salads etc now. :-)

• 6 months ago

Thank you for the very detailed feedback Elli. I’m glad some worked, and am concerned some didn’t. The basic sponge is a recipe I use often and is actually based on the weight of eggs. If an egg weighs 50g each, then 4 eggs=200g…then the flour and sugar are half the weight of the eggs. Trying to figure out why it went flat and dense. It could be either the tin size, or the oven temperature. Did you bake at

• Elli
        6 months ago

I used the weight measure for everything – but I think the eggs were too much because I use large eggs which are 60 gm each. I also think the oven was cooler than 190.
        Will try this weekend again with higher temp and less eggs – my oven is old and has uneven heat distribution. :-(

• 6 months ago

Ok. Thanks again for getting back Elli. Fingers crossed. Will wait to see what happens this time.
          Another fave ratio is 3 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour. It’s for a Swiss roll and makes for a light airy sponge.