Baking | Wholewheat Dark Chocolate Brownies … one bowl, whole grain, and delicious

“May your life be filled, as mine has been, with love and laughter; and remember, when things are rough all you need is … Chocolate.”
Geraldine Solon

Wholewheat Double Chocolate BrowniesWholewheat Dark Chocolate Brownies … deep, dark, decadent, indulgent. These days I’m driven by a strange bug, the whole grain bug. Experimenting rules the roost, the more whole grain, the better! It’s a fight to the finish … HUNGRY TEENS, final exams and the need for food, or rather, the constant need for food!
Wholewheat Double Chocolate Brownies 3The last few days of December slip through the fingers helplessly. I try to hang on to the year but obviously am fighting a losing battle. Time to march on the greener avenues, look forward to 2013 … and enjoy the remainder of 2012!

Wholewheat Double Chocolate Brownies 4The junior teen and his friends discuss the Mayan end of the year on December 21, 2012. I look at him disdainfully! For heavens sake … what must be, must be! Who are we to figure out when the world will end?  There must be better things to think about. Chocolate is one of them! Chocolate just makes everything better!

Wholewheat Double Chocolate Brownies  Plenty better stuff to think about –  More whole grains everyday. Making food yummy. Experimenting. Butter is good! I make it at home too, sweet white butter from scratch!
Wholewheat Double Chocolate Brownies 8I made 2 batches of thees whole wheat brownies for the ‘German Mela‘ last week, a fundraiser to help my sweet friend Mukta. I made some Christmas sugar cookies too. Then I made yet another batch of these brownies yesterday for the hungry kids … they’re almost gone {the brownies I mean …LOL} . Did I tell you the wholewheat dark chocolate brownies are good, really good?

[print_this]

Recipe: Wholewheat Dark Chocolate Brownies your picture

Summary: Decadent wholewheat dark chocolate brownies just right for the season of indulgence. Wholewheat makes these less ‘guilt-ridden’, and some olive oil instead of butter convinces you to reach for more. Add some walnuts if you like!

Prep Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Ingredients:

• 65g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 35g light olive oil
  • 100g dark chocolate
  • 100g raw sugar
  • 3 small eggs {or 2 large}
  • 1tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • 75g wholewheat flour {aata}
  • 50g dark chocolate chips { and / or chopped nuts}

1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a square 8 X 8″ baking tin with parchment paper.
  2. Place the butter, oil and chocolate in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute {or simmer over a double boiler}. Whisk well until the chocolate has blended with the butter and oil.
  3. Add the sugar and whisk well.
  4. Add the eggs and whisk again, followed by the vanilla extract, then baking powder and salt.
  5. Now whisk in the wholewheat flour, and fold in the dark chocolate chips and /or nuts if using.
  6. Turn batter into prepared tin and bake for 18-20 minutes.
  7. Cool in tin, then remove gently and cut into squares.

[/print_this]

32 Comments

Lovely. Whole grains and real butter/cream is always better. I never use any white flour for my baking and everyone around has loved them. You pictures makes me want to learn photography seriously 🙂

You make the best chocolate desserts EVER. Love that these are wholewheat too and not completely crammed full of butter. Beautiful photos as always too!

I am going to make this very soooooooooooon Deeba ..Brownie looks decadent and healthy too. Oooooooooh callebaut I love it.. ….:) Will share my brownie pictures soon with you Deeba. Lovely pictures as usual !!

• Rashmi

Looks Yummy. where do you get Callebaut chocolate in Delhi/ncr

Wonderful! I love healthy treats and those brownies look really good.

They look decadent and perfect for the holidays Deeba, perfect also with a glass of milk.

• Thank you Deeba… I’ve been looking for a whole wheat version of brownies forever!!! Am so glad you are bitten by the whole grain bug…look forward to more.. am a big fan of your whole wheat choc chip cookies!!! These look gorgeous!!

Arrr poor teen – I remember believing end of the world prophecies when I was that age. I guess once you’ve lived past a few of them you stop taking them seriously!! Love the high fibre brownies!

Deeba just beautiful! really look amazing!!

• Wholewheat bakes taste really great… never tried brownies but have made a few cakes in the past and they were rally yum :))
    Thanks for sharing this recipe Deeba!

Awesome clicks…love the healthy brownies..

Super decandent. Love that you have used wheat and olive oil. Otherwise, the season is totally unhealthy!

So beautiful! I have to try wholewheat brownies!

Now I am craving chocolate. They look delicious!

These look great! I have been baking a lot with whole wheat flour lately. Thanks for this amazing looking recipe. I can’t wait to try them out.

• I’m a big fan of Callebaut too, Deeba..and since discovering the beauty of olive oil (instead of butter!) in baking, I’m looking out for more olive oil substitute! These brownies are tempting indeed.

• Deep, dark, decadent and chocolatey… those words are like music to my ears!

• Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog

Deeba you really sparked me a brownie-craving right now – they are decadent – who cares 😉
    Like the idea of using olive oil!

All the best,

Gera

Thanks for supporting a good cause Deeba and that too at such a short notice!! It was really sweet of you !! Sure each one of those kids must be thanking you in their hearts!!

These brownies look divine! I love that you used wholewheat in these decadent treats.

Those brownies look so divine. Apt recipe for the holiday season!

• Kelly Anne

Nice recipe. I love a simple brownie recipe which is easy for the kids to help with 🙂
    I also like the below brownie recipe.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Kelly

Of all thelaces to sneak in whole wheat flour, I think this is a great one! I like the texture of them, and since they are teen-approved, you know they must be really good!

• Precious

We haven’t eaten them baked yet, they’ve just gone in but if they taste half as good as they do uncooked, we’re in for a treat!!!

• Minka

Can’t thank you enough for this recipe . Turned out fabulous . I already ditched the maida from cookies thanks to your oats and almond cookies . With this brownie , I think I will chuck the maida out completely 😉

Awesome recipe!.Buy Paleo Brownies Cookbook and make yummy and delicious brownies recipes at home.For more information you can contact us.

• riitu chugh
    10 months ago

darling what is raw sugar ? with love – ignoramus

• 6 months ago

Hi Riitu, raw sugar is minimally processed cane sugar. You can use mineral sugar or brown sugar instead. ♥