Baking | Dark Chocolate, Raspberry & Quark Layered Cake … still in the pink of October!

“I believe in pink”
Audrey Hepburn

It was just another one of those days … racing from dawn to dusk. In the middle of the madness, I got ambitious. ’twas the parents anniversary and even though we decided to do brownies and ice cream, I suddenly thought I’d give a cake a go. A Dark Chocolate, Raspberry & Quark Layered Cake happened!

Dark Chocolate, Raspberry & Quark Layered CakeThe cake just happened. There was no plan in mind. I left home quite early for a PTM at school. Got back home and had just begun to get the brownies going, when I got a call from a magazine.

Dark Chocolate, Raspberry & Quark Layered Cake

They wanted to do a production shoot of my signature bake, the process, baking, everything! “Errr…. for when might that be?” I inquired. ‘Today,‘ said the sweet lady, very apologetically. That was obviously not going to happen. I had to say no of course….. but the wild idea of ‘signature’ got stuck in my head!

Dark Chocolate, Raspberry & Quark Layered CakeBrownies were hurriedly swapped for a chocolate sponge. It’s good we’re still in October, though the heart beats like we’re almost knocking on Decembers’ door}. The cake would have PINK; any form of pink to spread the message about breast cancer awareness. Strawberries are a tad late this year, but I am fortunate to have several bags of Del Monte raspberry fruit filling in my freezer.

Dark Chocolate, Raspberry & Quark Layered CakeIt’s a nice product to have on hand and thaws really quick. Another favourite to have on hand is quarkI make it often. To tie it all together, nothing like some good quality dark chocolate on hand and life seems worthwhile after all. I hurriedly doodled my signature chocolate collar for the cake, and the leftover melted chocolate found it’s way into a freehand cake topper!

Dark Chocolate, Raspberry & Quark Layered CakeIt was a race to the finish … one in which I never got down to actually wishing the parents during the course of the day. Showed up at their doorstep just in time for dinner, cake and kids in tow! We enjoyed it!

Recipe: Dark Chocolate, Raspberry & Quark Layered Cake your picture

Summary: Dark chocolate and raspberry are a match made in heaven. Quark adds a nice sweet-tart balance to the cream filling. This is a nice dessert cake to make ahead.

Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes

• Dark Chocolate Ganache Topping
  • 150g dark chocolate
  • 100g low fat cream
  • Filigree
  • 75g dark chooclate

1. Chocolate Sponge
  2. Line the bottoms and sides of on 7″ spring form tin. Preheat oven to 180C.
  3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Reserve.
  4. Mix the cocoa powder, olive oil and milk to a smooth, thick pour-able paste. Reserve.
  5. Beat the eggs and sugar over simmering water on high speed for about 10 minutes until the mixtures becomes thick and mousse like, tripling in quantity {Thermomix, Speed 4, Butterfly insert, 37C, 10 minutes or more}
  6. Take off simmering water, add vanilla extract and continue beating for 3-4 minutes until it cools down a bit. {Thermomix, Speed 4, Butterfly insert, 3-4 minutes}
  7. Slowly pour in the cocoa mixture, beating on low until incorporated.
  8. Gently fold in the flour mixture in 3-4 goes. {Thermomix, Reverse Speed 2}
  9. Pour batter into prepared tin.
  10. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the sponge springs back when touched lightly, or a tester comes out clean. {Don’t overbake as the cake will have a dry texture, and will not be light}
  11. Cool on rack for 5 minutes, remove from tin and cool completely. Cut into 3 horizontal layers.
  12. Quark Raspberry Cream Filling & Sides
  13. Beat the cream and sugar until medium peaks, then beat in the quark and raspberry fruit filling until smooth and light. Taste and adjust sugar if required.
  14. Dark Chocolate Ganache Topping
  15. Place the dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high power for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each rest, until the chocolate has melted.
  16. Add the cream and whisk well until smooth and cool. {Alternatively, place both ingredients in a heavy bottom pan, and hear on simmer until both melted. Whisk well until smooth. Leave to cool}
  17. Assembling
  18. Place first layer on serving platter and sandwich the layers with half the butter cream.
  19. Frost the sides and top with the remaining Quark Raspberry Cream.
  20. Top with dark chocolate ganache.
  21. Chill for 2-3 hours for the flavours to mature and cake to become moist.
  22. Wrap with a filigree collar if you like.

What a wonderfully pretty cake and a great cause. I adore the chocolate detail round the edge!
    thelittleloaf´s last blog post ..Chocolate Peanut Butter Feuilletine Cheesecake BarsMy Profile

I love pink too.. raspberry n chocolate both are my fav.. can’t wait to try this :)
    uma´s last blog post ..Whole Wheat Tandoori Chicken PizzaMy Profile

A beautiful cake! Quark is such a wonderful ingredient.

Vindee, as always, lovely. Love chocolate and raspberries together – two favorite flavors! Could I use cream cheese instead of quark? Cannot get quark here.
    Denise´s last blog post ..The Back Burner | Caramelized PorkMy Profile

Ola Denise. Thank you. Yes, of course you can use cream cheese. I use quark as a substitute for all things from creme fraiche to whipping cream to cream cheese as it’s easily homemade and we donot get cream cheese locally here in India.

Quark’s a cheese! Ya learn something new each day. And that filigree collar is so cute!!
    Colette @ JFF!´s last blog post ..Small-town Charm: Chili Crimini Corn ChowderMy Profile

Lovely lovely looking cake….

• Donna

This…is….the most classy, BEAUTIFUL cake I have EVER seen…I plan on shamelessly trying to mimick your perfection results for either Thanksgiving, Noël or New Year’s Eve finales…This is truly a showstopper, jaw-drop inducing work of art…Thank you for sharing your brilliance!

• Donna

This…is….the most classy, BEAUTIFUL cake I have EVER seen…I plan on shamelessly trying to mimic your perfection results for either Thanksgiving, Noël or New Year’s Eve finales…This is truly a showstopper, jaw-drop inducing work of art…Thank you for sharing your brilliance!

Oops..forgot to ask…If I cannot locate the Del Monte raspberry filling (living in Europe)..could I use something else…or make my own substitute?…Thanks for any direction in this regard…Splendid recipe!

Hi there Donna, You are too good lady! Thank you for your words! I think you could use a preserve or maybe frozen raspberries cooked down a bit to a jammy consistency and cooled?

absolutely beautiful dear Debba xoxoxoxo
    Gloria´s last blog post ..Spinachs and parmesan filling crepesMy Profile

• The cake is stunning, what a lovely way to celebrate !
    Runnergirlinthekitchen´s last blog post ..Celebrating Kojaagari Poornima with Masala DoodhMy Profile

• wow.. I like the sound of this raspberry filling.. should look for it in the market!! yeah.. you are right.. with the quark, the dark choc, the fruit filling.. this is like your signature.. for me say quark.. and i think PAB! great going!
    Sarvani @ baker in disguise´s last blog post ..Whole Wheat Bread : ‘TWD : Baking with Julia’My Profile

• what a luscious cake !!! your recipes with quark are pushing me hard to make my own :)
    Himanshu @ The White Ramekins´s last blog post ..Chocolate Almond Pear CakeMy Profile

what a wonderful cake!!…love!!!!!

and something I cant even think of attempting!!
    shooting star´s last blog post ..Snorkeling in Bali ~ Alive is AwesomeMy Profile

• Veena

I love Raspberry and dark chocolate combination! super yummy cake! love i

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I love how many avatars of quark you do.
    Ruchira´s last blog post ..Lemon thumbprint cookies with strawberry jamMy Profile

• That cake looks gorgeous, and you so have a ‘signature’ style, with the collars.
    Avanika {Yumsilicious Bakes}´s last blog post ..Oatmeal Raisin Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies.. or Cowboy CookiesMy Profile

Stunning. Very beautiful done. I bet it was delicious 😉

What i can say is i can’t just imagine that i can made this cake at home itself.. really a yummy cake which looks elegant too.. perfect topping with chocolate crumbs.. just love it..
    bakery recipes´s last blog post ..The Delicious Varieties Of PastriesMy Profile

your cakes are always so gorgeous Deeba, you need to teach me how to bake this beautifully! Seriously!

• Paula

Hi, Deeba

My name is Paula and I am writing from Brazil! I would like to congratulate you for such a beautiful blog, actually the best I have ever visited! The pictures, the recipes… Everything beautiful, externalizing your sensibility. I have done the bavarian mousse strawberry cake for my husband’s 40th birthday yesterday ans my family just loved it. Now, I have a question for you: I find your chocolate filigree such a beautiful thing and I have tried to do it with a small whole on a plastic bag but it doesn’t look at all like yours. Do you use a special tip to draw it? Would you post a video showing how you do it, please? I know it is like your signature, something that represents indian henna drawings, but I find it so beautiful that I have decided to ask… Thanks and congratulations!

• Paula

• Marilyn

What a gorgeous cake and a gorgeous site. I am trying to learn how to make quark from raw goat milk. I don’t have any starter culture so I have been buying pasteurized buttermilk. I heat 1 gallon of the raw goat milk on the stove and then add the buttermilk and keep it in the oven with the light on for 24 hours. My first batch was pretty runny but near the bottom was like quark. My second batch is hopefully going to be ready for draining tonight. If you could please give me your advice on making quark I would appreciate it very much. Yours looks way thicker than mine.

I haven’t heard of quark being made from goats milk Marilyn, so that might be the issue. Do try making it from full fat cows milk.For me pasteurised full fat milk works just fine. Maybe you try and introduce some low fat cream into the goats milk if thats the only one you’ve got?