Baking | Tropical Cream Pie … The Boston Cream Pie just got a tropical makeover!

“Your idea of that dish has evolved, and if you’re a cook, you can start thinking in different ways about it, maybe even a different way than I think about it.”
Thomas Keller

Tropical Cream PieThis Tropical Cream Pie is reminiscent of a phase of my life which encouraged me to ‘think out of the culinary box. A long long time ago I was a part of a food event run at Project Foodie. The event was called Leftover Tuesdays and it encouraged you to get creative with leftovers in your fridge, pantry, freezer; a chance to create something fun and intriguing with stuff you had but didn’t have plans for! I fell off that bandwagon years ago yet the ‘creative leftover idea‘ became a ‘part of me’! Tropical Cream PieWe had some rather delicious desserts out of the kitchen recently – Filled Pate a Choux Swans and Pineapple Mascarpone Cake. Sadly decadence like this does the disappearing act pretty soon. Luckily enough, there is a rather delicious upside … ingredient leftovers, and this is the part I love most! I had some crème pâtissière from the Pate a Choux Swans and homemade mascarpone from the Pineapple Mascarpone Cake. Both made from scratch and wonderful ingredients to get creative with. You could whisk them together and serve them over cake or fruit {or both}Tropical Cream Pie… OR you can do better than that!! I have always wanted to make a Boston Cream Pie and the knowledge that it used crème pâtissière gave me something new to try! More ‘fridge type spring cleaning‘ later resulted in the pâtissière getting an indulgent uplift thanks to the mascarpone … the filling became smooth & silky!Tropical Cream Pie

Boston Cream Pie is a remake of the early American”Pudding-cake pie”. Cooks in New England and Pennsylvania Dutch regions were known for their cakes and pies and the dividing line between them was very thin. This cake was probably called a pie because in the mid-nineteenth century, pie tins were more common than cake pans. The first versions might have been baked in pie tins.

Tropical Cream Pie Just in case you wonder why my cream pie looks like a cake and not a pie, it is actually a cake but is called a pie.

A Boston cream pie is a round cake that is split and filled with a custard or cream filling and frosted with chocolate. Created by Armenian-French chef M. Sanzian at Boston’s Parker House Hotel in 1856, this pudding and cake combination comprises two layers of sponge cake filled with vanilla flavored custard or crème pâtissière. The cake is topped with a chocolate glaze {such as ganache}. In 1996, the Boston Cream Pie beat the Nestle Tollhouse Cookies and Indian Pudding to fight it’s way to become the official dessert of Massachusetts.

Tropical Cream Pie Del Monte has paired with IndiBlogger for a contest using Del Monte products. Stuff like this inspires me and the dream begins! Give me a palette to play with and my creativity takes wings! This is my variation of a good cake that got a tropical makeover! The result was delicious and it looked good too!Summer Fruit JellyI really like the Del Monte Fiesta Fruit Cocktail; great flavours and textures in there. I’ve used them before in the summer fruit jelly above which we loved – they offer a riot of colours and taste great too. This time I pushed my luck further to use it in a pie filling … and it worked! Beautiful flavours and colours rewarded us when we cut through the cake.Tropical Cream PieThe chocolate on top surprisingly tied the cake together, in line with the traditional ganache or glaze that crowns the Boston Cream Pie. The grated chocolate on top, a non Boston Cream Pie feature, was thanks to a leftover portion of milk chocolate to add some texture. It’s a good make ahead cake and if you do the filling from scratch like me, it would need a days advance planning to make the macsarpone and crème pâtissière.Tropical Cream PieIts a good idea to let it sit for a couple of hours to allow the flavours to marry and the cake to get moist and delicious. The sponge is a breeze to make {do read the recipe through twice} and don’t over bake the cake. As compared to my normal sponges, this one has some added fat in the end, which makes it ‘strong enough’ to hold a generous layer of filling!

[print_this]Recipe:Tropical Cream Pie
your picture

Summary: Dessert is served! A light sponge cake sandwiched with an indulgent silky smooth custard and fruit filling, topped with a rich ganache … and further crowned with grated chocolate. The Boston Cream Pie just got a tropical makeover!

Total Time: 40 minutes

• Sponge Cake
  • 3 eggs {2 separated, 1 whole}
  • 110g sugar, divided 20g + 90g
  • 65g plain flour
  • 1scant tsp baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • 20g / 1 tbsp milk
  • 20g/ 2 tsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 vanilla bean scraped {or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract}
  • Crème patisserie {approx 150g} recipe inspired from my friend Pamela @ Cooking Ninja
  • 30g raw sugar {or granulated}
  • 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
  • 100ml low fat cream
  • 150ml 2% milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 20g cornflour
  • Filling
  • 100g mascarpone {recipe for mascarpone}
  • 150g crème patisserie {recipe follows}
  • 1tin Del Monte Fruit Fiesta
  • 2tbsp powdered sugar
  • Dark Chocolate Ganache
  • 100g dark chocolate
  • 50g low fat cream
  • Milk chocolate for topping if desired

1. Sponge cake
  2. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 7″ round tin with parchment {bottom and sides}
  3. Melt the butter and milk and leave to cool {I did it for 30seconds in the microwave}
  4. Sift the flour, baking powder and pinch salt. Reserve.
  5. In a clean bowl, beat the 2 egg whites with 20gm sugar until stiff peaks form. Reserve.
  6. Beat 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks with the remaining 90g sugar until mousse like and doubled in volume {about 5-7 minutes on high}.
  7. Add the vanilla bean and beat for another minute, then with a spatula gently fold in the flour mix in 3-4 goes.
  8. Take about 1/4 cup of this and mix through the eaten egg yolks to loosen the whites a bit. Now gently fold the rest of the beaten whites through the batter, taking care not to release the beaten in air.
  9. Pour the milk/butter mixture into the centre and fold through gently but uniformly.
  10. Transfer into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes / until light golden brown and a tester comes out clean.
  11. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then gently remove from tin, and cool completely on rack. Cut into 2 layers.
  12. Crème patisserie {can be made the day before}
  13. Bring the milk to a simmering boil. Reserve.
  14. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar with a wooden spoon in a big bowl until the mixture becomes pale and light. Stir in the flour slowly until it is thoroughly mixed with the egg mixture.
  15. Pour the boiling milk into the mixture a little by little while whisking continuously to avoid curdling. Then stir in the cream until the mixture is well combined.
  16. Transfer the whole mixture into a pot, with the seeds scraped from the vanilla bean, and heat it under low setting. Stir it constantly with the wooden spoon or spatula scraping the sides and bottom until it has thickened.
  17. Once the custard has thickened, take it off the heat, and strain / pour it into a clean bowl.
  18. Thermomix Recipe
  19. Place sugar and vanilla bean in TM bowl, and process for 30seconds on speed 10. Add remaining ingredients, plus vanilla bean shell and cook on 90C/Speed 4 for 7 minutes {until thick}. Strain into a bowl immediately to cool. I chilled it overnight.
  20. Dark Chocolate Ganache
  21. Place dark chocolate in a deep bowl.
  22. Simmer cream over very low heat in a heavy bottom pan and simmer over very low heat until tiny bubbles appear at the edges {don’t let boil}. Pour over the dark chocolate and whisk until the chocolate has melted.
  23. Allow to cool before pouring over cake. It should be thick enough to pour but not too thin to drip off completely.
  24. Assembling
  25. Drain the contents of the tin and stand in a sieve to get rid of any liquid. {You can chill it if you like}
  26. Whisk the crème patisserie, mascapone and sugar together until smooth. It will be very thick.
  27. Place bottom layer of sponge on serving platter. Place an adjustable dessert ring around it {else use a mousse strip}.
  28. Top with the filling cream and then sprinkle over with the fruit bits {reserve a few for garnishing if desired}, pressing into place gently. Top with the other half of the cake, press gently and chill covered with cling wrap for 5-6 hours.
  29. Grate over some milk chocolate {room temperature} if desired. Chill until ready to serve.

It looks delicious
    irenalana´s last blog post ..Zapečene makaroneMy Profile

First pineapple mascarpone cake and now this! Leftovers can’t get any better! You are truly creative Deeba, the pie cake looks gorgeous, makes me greedy for dessert!
    Suma Rowjee´s last blog post ..Herbed Pull-Apart Bread – A Guest Post By Sumana DeepakMy Profile

It looks beautiful. What a wonderful thing to create with leftovers! Btw, I have never ever heard of leftover chocolate before, never happens in my home.
    indugetscooking´s last blog post ..Palada PradhamanMy Profile

I always have some bits at my place Indu. I have a sweet tooth only for bitter chocolate {you’ll never hear of left over ‘that’}… and the remaining stash is far away from kids eye view!

That definitely is a gorgeous pie and a big fruit punch Deeba…
    Vimitha´s last blog post ..Mango Squash & Home Made Mango CoolerMy Profile

Whoa! Beautiful pie and love the story of how it came about. Wish all my leftovers would morph into something so utterly delicious!
    Tadka Pasta´s last blog post ..Sweet Little Jar of Red Hot StuffMy Profile

That pie is sooo gorgeous and soooo fresh looking…with all those fruits but i wish they werent canned :-p hehehe….Read about the Del monte event but their prizes did not inspire me to cook….lol….i have a thing against samsung stuff 😉
    mj@cardamomhills´s last blog post ..TEA EN CAPAS- MASALA CHAIMy Profile

I guess everyone has their one perspective MJ. For me, its the inspiration which gets the creativity going, and the end result isn’t the bait. It’s the involvement to see how far I can push the boundary, and to see if I can express myself. In a consumer driven market, one mans meat is anothers’ poison – Samsung survives for a reason I guess!

That’s an heavenly dessert……looks extremely drool worthy…..
    Lubna Karim´s last blog post ..Microwave BrowniesMy Profile

• Candyce

Its a perfect kind of dessert…Thank you for sharing the recipe…I will make this in our home on my dads birthday..My family will love this also..

Your Boston cream pie is splendid! A wonderful dessert.

The pie looks great. Great to have this as a dessert when calling everyone for a dinner or so. Looks really yum with all the fruits in it.

Aah so those pictures that lured me on fb are a fruity cream pie. I love such fruits in a cake and I am sure you know it by now :-)
    Your pictures are really inspirational stuff.
    sangeeta khanna´s last blog post ..a gluten free Panforte : dried prunes, figs and nuts together in a yummy dense cake…My Profile

This is beautiful, Deeba! Looks delicious and tempting… I am sure it tasted heavenly! Ongoing event at my blog –
    Priya´s last blog post ..Best Tart – Event Announcement and a GiveawayMy Profile

Wow Deeba! I’m in awe! When we think that there os one pefect recipe you come in and make it even better… can’t believe that! Absolutely fabulous!
    Renata´s last blog post ..BOLO MATIZADO AZUL – Projeto – SEM CORANTES ARTIFICIAIS!My Profile

looks heavenly…and knowing you, i know it tastes absolutely heavenly too :)
    shooting star´s last blog post ..Shift Dress, Finally!! ~ Today’s Look #38My Profile

My mom always made me a Boston Creme Pie for my birthday. This tropical version with homemade mascarpone is a winner.
    belllii´s last blog post ..Party it Up with Cooking Light and a Shrimp Bouillabaisse FondueMy Profile

How sweet is that Val. While I wrote this post, I was hoping I would find a Boston Cream Pie connect somewhere. So glad I did, and even gladder it’s with you! I still remember our good old Blogger Aid days…miss them too! xo

A Boston Cream Pie is my brother fav dessert. This twist sounds yum to me :)
    Helene´s last blog post ..Devil’s Food Cake with Midnight GanacheMy Profile

Yay Helene … you are the second Canadian who had a Boston Cream Pie connect {Val from MTBT was the other!} Now that Devils cake with the Midnight Ganache is intriguing me … and how! Big hugs!

• Tamara

Absolutely fabulous!I cant wait to try this cakes…Its a perfect kind of desserts…

Love it…love it….amazing, I just love your cakes and dessert. I am going to make this tomorrow. Thanks Deeba for sharing the recipe.
    Marina Charles´s last blog post ..Another Dosa StoryMy Profile

• Wowsa! Beautiful and decadent. I’m really enjoying your blog.
    Kathy@Playin with My Food´s last blog post ..Lemon Verbena Raspberry Swirl Ice CreamMy Profile

• I am going to copy (literally , even the way u have decorated it)this cake soon and even it comes out half as good as yours I will let you know!!
    Runnergirlinthekitchen´s last blog post ..Soya Granules Stir Fry – Step by Step RecipeMy Profile

• This looks gorgeous as usual D! I hope you win the Del Monte thing :)
    Avanika {Yumsilicious Bakes}´s last blog post ..One Bowl Chocolate BrowniesMy Profile

Did you know that Boston Cream Pie cheesecake is one of S’s favorite? But I rather have you cake version! Love this, reminds me much of fruit of cream cake I love so much. Adore you much and your honesty in everything you do.
    foodwanderings´s last blog post ..Lamb Biryani – Rosh HaShana 5773 Indian StyleMy Profile

The cake looks wonderful. I love this twist to a classic.
    Joy´s last blog post ..No food Friday – First day of SchoolMy Profile

• panchali

WOW! I guess, we have a winner here~ All the best~

Very interesting jazzed up take on the Boston Cream Pie. I am a Bostonian myself. I always did think that cake was a little boring!
    Wicked Goodies´s last blog post ..How to Make a Piano CakeMy Profile

Very interesting take on the Boston Cream Pie! I am a Bostonian myself. I always did think that cake was a little boring!
    Wicked Goodies´s last blog post ..How to Make a Piano CakeMy Profile

Hi Deeba, you are so inspiring! Come over to my blog, there is some love for you and more coming up!
    Anjali´s last blog post ..A Glamorous Heart CakeMy Profile

• Mansi

Hi Deeba – question on your sponge recipe. The ingredients say you need 3 eggs, but then the steps require 2 egg whites and then 2 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk. In step number 6, did you mean to write 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg? Thanks

Hi Mansi, I meant 2 egg white in step 5, and 1 whole egg + 2 yolks in step 2. Updated. Thank you!

Wow! Indeed a winning recipe…purely reminded me of my aspiration of food and beverage. Truly loved this post, picture and recipes and all that creativity you wielded when allowed to play around. Many congrats and yeah keep baking :)
    Ekta Khetan´s last blog post ..CelebrationsMy Profile

• mihaela

hi! what is the diameter for this cake(in cm if you could tell me)? Thank you

Great post! We will be linking to this great post on our website.
    Keep up the good writing.
    home detox diet´s last blog post ..home detox dietMy Profile

• 3 months ago

This is one of the finest recipes and the recipes in this blog are really useful for especially amateurs.