Baking| Fresh Cherry Quark Cheesecake Pie …

“If Life is a Bowl of Cherries,
What Am I Doing in the Pits?”
Erma Brombeck

Fresh Cherry Quark Cheesecake Pie I made this Fresh Cherry Quark Cheesecake Pie a while ago. It’s too good a cheesecake /pie not to share before cherry season disappears altogether. Cherries are one of my favourit-est summer stone fruit and it’s a shame that the season lasts for such a short time. Maybe that contributes to the fruits charm. This pie was a wonderful end for my last batch… {other than the ones that I’ve frozen!}Fresh Cherry Quark Cheesecake PieThe summer’s been long and very stretched thanks to oppressive heat and extended power cuts. Add to that ongoing renovation work at home and you get stuck forever! It’s been trying but I shall not bore you with my tales of reno horror. There have to be better things in life – food, friends … and cherries of course! Fresh Cherry Quark Nutella VerrinesAt times like these a parcel in the mail can flood the day with sunshine. I was floored to receive a gift wrapped copy of Baking With Julia from the very sweet food blogger Suma @ Cakes & More. It’s a virtual baking bible authored by the uber talented Dorie Greenspan who I hugely admire. She makes baking techniques feel easy-peasy, makes you want to sail into the kitchen and begin baking ASAP!Baking With JuliaThank you Suma, I am really touched, honoured too with the words you wrote …”You truly inspire! Glad to know you and the spectacular PAB!” {blush}. I’m happily off to ‘sift, knead, flute and flour‘ with Dorie from a hands-on baking book packed with breads, pies, cobblers, cookies, cakes and pastries! Fresh Cherry Quark Cheesecake PieReaders of PAB will know of my love for homemade quark, the Austrian soft curd cheese. It’s easy to make at home, cheaper than cream cheese and is great in a cheesecake. I learnt about it ages ago and fell in love with it. Couldn’t believe that milk and buttermilk with a day or two to spare would yield this beautiful cheese. Quark combined with my second love, stone fruit, and life is GOOD!Fresh Cherry Quark Cheesecake PieTheres been no looking back in ‘quark‘ terms. I love it! All you need is 2-3 days of planning. An overnight set, at least 24 hours of whey draining … and you are ready to roll. I’ve used it extensively – Vanilla Quark Cake with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries, Mini Quark Vanilla Cheesecakes with Balsamic Cherry Sauce, Chocolate Quark Mousse Tartlets in Almond Pastry {eggless}Quark Cheesecake Pie with Fresh Cherries, Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese PieQuarkauflauf – Quark Cassarole with Balsamic Strawberries,  Strawberry & Tangerine Quark Panna CottaStrawberry Cake with Quark & Mascarpone, Quark Mousse with Roasted Balsamic StrawberriesVanilla Macarons with Quark Kirsch & Tart Cherry Filling. My favourites? Chicken Quark Crossover Puff Pastry and Quark Mousse cake with Roasted Balsamic Strawberries {see, I told you I love quark!}This cheesecake pie was affirmation yet again of how good quark can be in desserts. The verrines are simply unbaked, eggless, layered desserts in glasses – fresh cherries, slivered pistachios, a dollop of nutella, quark whipped with cream and sweetened mildly … and then repeated.Fresh Cherry Quark Cheesecake PieFresh Cherry Quark Cheesecake Pie

[print_this]Recipe: Fresh Cherry Quark Cheesecake Pie your picture

Summary: Adelicious light summer cheesecake with a biscuit base and fresh cherry topping. It’s full of flavour and lighter on calories than the traditional version

Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus cooling time

• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp kirsch {optional}
  • Full fat quark cheese
  • 1 ltr whole fat milk
  • 250ml cultured buttermilk
  • 200ml low fat cream

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil, and grease lightly. Place an 8″ spring form tin on the foil and wrap the foil up around the sides.
  2. Biscuit Crust
  3. Place the flour and almonds in the bowl of your processor and pulse until the almonds are ground {4-5 times}.
  4. Now add the chilled butter and process until you get a breadcrumb like mix.
  5. Pat filling over the base and bake at 180C for 20 minutes until light brown. Cool completely.
  6. Filling
  7. Place the quark cheese, egg yolks, flour, 90g Castor sugar, scraped vanilla bean, cream, kirsch and vanilla bean powder if using into the bowl of your food processor and run on medium speed till smooth. {Thermomix: Speed 6, 10 seconds}
  8. Beat the whites with the remaining 40g sugar to firm peaks. Gently fold this through the quark cheese mixture.
  9. Smear the Nutella over the base and put half the cherry filling {strained} over the base. Pour the filling over the base and bake at 180C for 35-40 minutes.
  10. Allow to cool completely in oven, leaving the door ajar.
  11. Cover well and chill before serving, preferably overnight. Serve topped with balsamic cherry sauce, fresh cherries, chocolate flakes and slivered pistachios.
  12. Balsamic Cherry Sauce
  13. Place ingredients other than kirsch in a non reactive pan and simmer until the cherries release their juices and begin to get soft and hold their shape, about 4-5 minutes. {Don’t overcook or the cherries will break down and lose shape}
  14. Remove the cherries to a bowl. Place pan with the liquid on medium high heat and reduce the juices to about a third, nice and thick. Stir in the kirsch if using. Cool completely and chill until required {Can be made 2-3 days before}.
  15. Quark
  16. Heat milk to room temperature / tepid. Add low fat cream and buttermilk, stir well, and leave to set undisturbed for 12-24 hours. {12 hours in hot weather and 24 in cool weather}
  17. Once set, place in fridge for 5-6 hours / overnight, and then place to drain in fridge for 24 hours. I use a curd cheese maker, but you can use a piece of muslin.

Beautiful! A great summer dessert. Quark is a fantastic product. So versatile…

Who would say no to such a gorgeous creation… Such a seasonal dish… Looks yummy…
    vimitha´s last blog post ..No Cheese Whole Wheat Tandoori Chicken Pizza & announcing a chota-sa breakMy Profile

Oooh, the cheesecake looks so good. Would so love to taste it…
    indugetscooking´s last blog post ..Beef Ularthiyathu – Kerala Style Beef FryMy Profile

This is really perfect! u’ll love the book…its old school baking in a way.. and at times it seems like a lot of fuss when you are going through the recipes.. but each time the results will astound you… and i am still a novice baker. U’ll go crazy with it!! look forward to your posts from the book!
    baker in disguise´s last blog post ..Trifle with Plum Compote and Vanilla CustardMy Profile

looks totally sensational – yum; bookmarking it !
    Priya Sreeram´s last blog post ..Spiced Cauliflower FryMy Profile

• I just made a blueberry cheesecake 2 days ago, how I wish I knew about quark making at home..a cheaper alternative than the phil cheese! I love that book too, waiting eagerly for more bakes from you.
    jehanne@thecookingdoctor´s last blog post ..Sticky toffee date pudding to welcome RamadhanMy Profile

Ooh long time J! Thought of you a few days ago when I made mango sorbet from The Perfect Scoop. Bless you. That book is fab!

• anitha

hi deeba,
    i would like to make the cheese at home. can u please tell me what is cultured buttermilk and where can i find it.

• natasha

S…..i…gh Deeba! Don’t know what to do? Run in this maddening heat to look for cherries….make quark…..dive into your photographs….beg you to make some for me……drooling and salivating and gaining 10lbs just as I read your blog!!!!
    Love it!!:D

You bake loads dear girl! Yes this heat is maddening. Our cherries have all but gone, but peaches are plentiful! How’re you doing?

• MUST TRY THIS… My husband saw this and asked me why I never blog recipes like this :(
    chinmayie @ love food eat´s last blog post ..Healthy Banana Coconut Bread (Vegan)My Profile

Your quark creations always look so delicious! The cherry balsamic sauce looks fantastic on this cheesecake. I want to run out and buy more cherries right now.
    lisaiscooking´s last blog post ..Mediterranean Zucchini, Tomato, and Bell Pepper TianMy Profile

• Your baking skills never cease to amaze me. Sinfully beautiful, almost don’t want to eat it. That beautiful :)

Such a lovely , delicious creation.. salivating!
    Gauri´s last blog post ..Artisan Bread and Pastry making @ Breadworks BoulangerieMy Profile

• Such a gorgeous cheesecake! I want to try quark, since I love making my own ricotta and mascarpone. I could eat cherries all year long, they´re my favorite stone fruit. Get ready for Baking with Julia, it´s such a great book. We´re using it for our Tuesdays with Dorie group.
    Happy Baking!
    Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes´s last blog post ..Brie and Mango Chutney QuesadillasMy Profile

You seriously tempt me to leave everything and make some dessert asp.. BTW got loads of fruits from Nainital… going to check your blog for using them :)
    Rekha´s last blog post ..Crisp Fried Karela : Bitter Gourd or Chinease Melon RecipeMy Profile

Ooooooooh fun. Looking forward to what you make!

• cherries are my favorite too….love the decadent cheesecake
    Himanshu @ The White Ramekins´s last blog post ..Spicy Pumpkin Bundt Cake With White Chocolate GlazeMy Profile

Hi Deeba,
    Yet another lovely recipe with cherries. I have loads of cherries….froze it for later use. I intend to try this one, but thinking of replacing the balsamic with cherry pit vinegar I made. It’s cherry pits with white wine vinegar. It has almond undertones with the typical vinegary pungency. Hope it works. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Cherry pit vinegar sounds amazing Cheryl…and now you have me weeping! I think of all the pits that I’ve disposed off when I could well have used them ‘further’. I love the thought of almond undertones with vinegar pungency…genius! Do you have the recipe posted? Bookmark for next season!

I have the cookbook, it’s a really nice gift. Would eat a piece of that cake now, looks so yummy!
    Helene´s last blog post ..Caprese Salad with Tre Stelle BocconciniMy Profile

This is the best looking cheesecake I’ve seen in a long time. It looks fantastic and super delicious.´s last blog post ..Cuban Panini with Quick PicklesMy Profile

Stunning! Wow! I want to try this – I am nuts for cherry and chocolate as you are. I have never been crazy about cheesecake, though but that is because of the cream cheese. I love using quark and I think this would make a lighter cheesecake. Fabulous. And those chicken in puff pastry? Oooh gorgeous!
    Jamie´s last blog post ..SUMMER VEGETABLE RATATOUILLEMy Profile

• This looks so good. I’ve always wanted to try making quark, but with nothing to compare it with, can’t know if it turned out correct or not. Maybe when they’re finally available in the stores!
    Avanika {Yumsilicious Bakes}´s last blog post ..Granola BarsMy Profile

• sanjeev k

Recently imade this for my love and she loved the surprise gift. But when she asked about the source of recipe ,i did not told her. I want to give her more surprises.