Dessert| Dark Chocolate & Orange Panna Cotta …

“Happiness. Simple as a glass of chocolate or tortuous as the heart. Bitter. Sweet. Alive.”
Joanne Harris, Chocolat

Dark Chocolate & Orange Panna CottaNever. Without. Chocolate. There’s something about chocolate … deep, sensuous, satisfying, comforting, seductive, addictive. I was on twitter after ages yesterday and came across a random tweet with someone despairing the lack of chocolate at home! A rather unsettling tweet that was! Dark Chocolate & Orange Panna CottaI had a bar of absolutely delicious bitter chocolate from Moscow that a friend got for me. Mmmm … more chocolate; life was becoming sweeter by the minute!Dark Chocolate & Orange Panna CottaWhats not to love about this fabulous combination, one that is high on my list of favourites and one that I enjoy playing with in my kitchen in the ‘orange’ months which sadly are restricted to the winter ones here. The conversation reminded me of the Dark Chocolate Mousse & Orange Panna Cotta that I made in December but never got down to posting!Dark Chocolate & Orange Panna CottaCouldn’t be a better time to bring this dessert to see light of day and share this quintessentially beautiful pairing … Chocolate & Orange = YUM!!

[print_this]Recipe: Dark Chocolate & Orange Panna Cotta
your picture

Summary: Indulgent and ever so pleasing, a dark chocolate orange dessert offers a match made in heaven. Set in glass goblets to enjoy its visual appeal!

Total Time: 30 minutes {plus setting time}

• Dark Chocolate Orange Cream
  • 300ml low fat cream
  • 125gm dark chocolate, chopped {I used 54% couverture}
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • Orange Marmalade Panna Cotta
  • 300ml low fat cream
  • 125 ml whole milk
  • 2 tsp gelatin
  • 2 tbsp bitter orange marmalade
  • 1/2 cup sugar {use slightly less first, then adjust if required since the marmalade will also add to the sweetness}

1. Dark Chocolate Orange Cream
  2. Place the chocolate in a large bowl.
  3. Bring the cream to a simmering boil in a small pan and pour over the chocolate. Add the zest of 1 orange and stir until the chocolate has melted and is satiny smooth.
  4. Place 6 wine glasses at a slant in a loaf pan, and pour the chocolate mixture into them. Leave these to set in the fridge for 2-3 hours till they hold shape.
  5. Orange Marmalade Panna Cotta
  6. Sprinkle the gelatin over 25ml or about 1/4 cup of milk and place the bowl over hot water for gelatin to melt.
  7. Bring the cream, sugar & remaining milk to a simmering boil over low heat, simmer for 5 minutes.
  8. Take cream mixture off heat, whisk in the gelatin and bitter orange marmalade. Whisk well so that the gelatin is mixed uniformly. Adjust sugar if required. Cool to room temperature and then pour over the set dark chocolate orange mousse.
  9. Chill until set for at least 4 hours, or overnight.

So pretty! Those panna cotta are irresistible. I love the presentation.

Looks so gorgeous and decadent Deeba. Perfect clicks

Some very pretty glasses with a beautiful panna cotta combo !!

yumm ……!!!!!

Love the pics… looks vibrant…

Super tempting dessert,looks absolutely divine and inviting..

Wow that is some dessert – very nice!
    Delishhh´s last blog post ..The Best RibsMy Profile

Mmmm they look amazing!
    James B´s last blog post ..Magically maltedMy Profile

Your chocolate mousse and orange panna cotta looks so delicious! I want to try this one..and the Cadbury product is just what I have been craving all month. Thank you for this post. You had me at the quote!

Gorgeous gorgeous pannacotta! I am a sucker for the orange chocolate pairing and this looks so very inviting!! Loved the play of colors, beautiful Deeba!
    Suma´s last blog post ..No Knead Cheese & Roasted Garlic Flatbread – For Divya…My Profile

• SO beautiful! I think Chocolate is the biggest weakness of my life!
    chinmayie @ love food eat´s last blog post ..Wholewheat Chocolate Cookies with Cacao NibsMy Profile

I love the combo of chocolate and orange. I need to try it today, will do insha Allah and btw the glasses look adorable 😀
    leemz´s last blog post ..Cold Cake / Chocolate Fridge Cake / Chocolate Biscuit CakeMy Profile

Oh me, oh my!
    Such beautiful pictures, gorgeous presentation, the unique tilted layers instead of horizontal, and fabulous combination as you said! :-)
    Would you sometime also do a post on food styling and photography!?!!!?!!!
    Please, please, please!!! :)
    Nisha´s last blog post ..Rabdi: No-Condensed Milk No-Microwave Version – Rabri, Indian SweetMy Profile

Thank you Nisha… you made my way! I did a small photography guest post at Kitchen Flavours {}. Will try and do one on PAB soon!

• Henna

Hi Deeba. I love your blog!!
    I have been following it for almost 2 years now. Apart from the recipes, presentation is impeccable. And not just what you make, your blog is so well-written, the pictures are artistically taken and laid out. Your blog is a feast for my eyes. Hats off to you!

I am a vegetarian so as much as I love your blog and your recipes I have not tried many. Sad! It would be great if sometime your baking challenges would/could include something yummy but eggless. Thanks.

The last bit…what gelatine have you used for pannacota? The good gelatine here (London) are pork leaf gelatine. I have had bad experiences with vege gelatine. Is there a vegetarian gelatine available in India? Or can a suitable alternative like agar agar produce similar results without compromising on taste? Many many thanks.
    Regards, Henna

Hey there Henna. Thank you for your very sweet words.I have posted quite a few eggless recipes of late. I know quite a few folk have used agar agar successfully in panna cotta. I have yet to try it though I know it is widely available in India.

Fabulous as always!
    Zee´s last blog post ..Grilled Chicken Open Face SandwichMy Profile

So lovely!!!!!How did you manage to set the mousse this way?
    ritu´s last blog post ..Vanilla Strawberry CookiesMy Profile

Hi Ritu, I first set the glasses at a recline in a loaf pan, then transfer the chocolate cream to a pouring mug with a spout {my measuring cup}…and gently pour it in. Do this before the cream begins to set but is cool, else you wont get a flowing consistency! {See photograph of glasses reclining in loaf tin}

How wonderful!
    First I love the orange/chocolate taste, they match so good together! And then the dressing looks absolutely wonderful, like in a 4 stars restaurant!
    Frozen calzones´s last blog post ..Keep away from cooking at home and order frozen pizza and calzonesMy Profile

• Dash

omg…..this looks amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing….definitely gonna try this out for myself…
    The last time I tried pouring chocolate mousse into glasses, I had difficulty avoiding the top edges of the glass…How did you get the mousse to set so perfectly?

Hi T. I first set the glasses at a recline in a loaf pan, then transfer the chocolate cream to a pouring mug with a spout {my measuring cup}…and gently pour it in. Do this before the cream begins to set but is cool, else you wont get a flowing consistency! Hope this helps!

• Anna

Hi Deeba,

Did you use any milk for the chocolate mousse or did you just boil the cream?

Hey Anna, no milk here. Just bring the cream to a very slight simmer {bubbles appear around the edges in the pan} and not a rolling boil. Make sure the chocolate is at room temperature too and not out of the fridge.

• Sommer

These look amazingly delicious. I look forward to trying these out for my next dinner party.
    I do have a clerical type comment, however. The chocolate in this is recipe is actually a ganache which is defined as melting chocolate with hot cream. Chocolate mousse is whipped cream, and sometimes eggs, with melted chocolate folded in. Mousse is a very fluffy, but still very rich dessert, while ganache is much denser.

Thank you for your words, and I agree with you a 100%. Have updated it to read ‘cream’ as technically a good ganache usually has chocolate half the weight of the cream, and this one is a third. Cheers!!

• Sommer

You are very awesome, and again, I can’t wait to make this gorgeous delectable dessert!

How beautiful. Elegant and lovely as usual Deeba. Wow!
    Lora´s last blog post ..Cherry Love Popcorn & January’s Funny Food Blogger PostsMy Profile

How beautiful. Elegant and lovely as usual Deeba.

You are amazing. How did you make these look so perfect. They look so good I’d like one right now.

The presentation is so elegant! I love the symmetrical effect of this panna cota. I bet the flavor is as good as how it looks! Thanks for the post!
    myfudo´s last blog post arrested by facebookMy Profile

I’m making these right now. The chocolate part has been poured into glasses to set 😀 hope it turns out EXCELLENT!:D
    leemz´s last blog post ..Sarsoon Ka Saag and Makkai Ki RotiMy Profile

• Marjorie

I like the presentation of this chocolate..I love it!!! Thanks for sharing..
    Marjorie´s last blog post ..Spa HydrotherapyMy Profile

The panna cotta looks so cool. I have a feeling if i try that affect, I would mess it up.
    Joy´s last blog post ..Help, I need to be Entertained and a GIVEAWAYMy Profile

This is absolutely a chocolate lover’s dream. I love the way the panna cotta and the chocolate are layered !
    A Brown Table´s last blog post ..bombay granitasMy Profile

• Archana

Wow!! amazing recipe and amazing pics!
    Archana´s last blog post ..RaundanMy Profile

OMG! I am too doing the same style not the same dessert though! But this is looking great!

A lovely presentation, Deeba. I’ve done that tipping in the fridge with something else; everyone wonders how it’s done, but it’s simpler than it looks, if you have room to do it.
    Barbara´s last blog post ..Chocolate Espresso ShortbreadsMy Profile

• Sruthy

I think chocolate and cream hates me, whenever I have tried recipes which have both or even one of those, they have turned disastrous This was nothing different .It was after a lot of negotiations that my Amma lifted the ban on chocolate in our kitchen ,well after the chocolate panna cotta disaster she revoked my license to hold or cook chocolate inside or anywhere near her kitchen !!!!

So here is what I did ,hope you can help me

I got medium fat cream about 38% fat content ,so I heated 200ml of cream and 100 ml of milk (now I regret the decision)and poured into 125 gms of chocolate , the chocolate cream mixture was very runny ad when kept in fridge apart from forming a thin layer on top it didn’t hold the shape .
    Then with my pannacotta I used the same cream ,other than that followed the recipe ,but the cream got heated slightly beyond the simmering point , and while getting set ,my pannacotta separated into 2 layers . I sit because I heated the cream too much?

Help me please !

The entire thing tasted awful , my chocolate layer ended up being grainy too .

• Marga

These look to die for!

will try to make them soon!

• 3 months ago