Holiday Baking| Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread {vegetarian}

“Children ask better questions than adults. “May I have a cookie?” “Why is the sky blue?” and “What does a cow say?” are far more likely to elicit a cheerful response than “Where’s your manuscript?Why haven’t you called?” and “Who’s your lawyer?“”
Fran Lebowitz

Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread“Can I have another squaaaaaaare pleeeeeeease?” You know the cookies are good if that’s what you hear literally reverberating through the house; even better if it’s the call from the dieting diva square after square! These were indeed GOOD Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread cookies!Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread Theres something about December, and something about cookies that make me want to bake; bake all the time actually even though power cuts continue to play spoilsport. Baking around silly powerless situations means more cookies since there are fewer chances of them ‘deflating‘ {unlike cakes} when the lights go off!Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread

Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond ShortbreadThe wookies were fabulous for fast track ‘faux baking‘. This shortbread is too, non traditional as it may be. You can’t go wrong with shortbread, caramel and dark chocolate, can you? A combination inspired from many shortbread posts, especially this Chocolate Caramel Slice from Nash @ Plateful, and a ‘Month of shortbread baking‘ from Julia‘Mélanger :: to mix’.Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond ShortbreadThis is the season of holiday baking, and only good could come out of such delicious inspiration. GOOD DELICIOUS COOKIES! Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond ShortbreadDark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond ShortbreadWinter is the only indulgent time of the year here when shortbread feels ‘guilt-less; you need the butter to keep you warm after all. Warm weather the rest of the year makes the crumb not keep together nice and crisp! For the record, this isn’t true shortbread; the traditional version doesn’t venture away from  a 8:4:2 classic combination of flour, butter and sugar… and a dash of salt maybe.Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond ShortbreadI had on hand  hungry kids, butter and a ‘want to bake’ feeling; also a loose bottomed square tin that I had recently bought and was impatient to use. That resulted in … Oats + Almonds + Flour + Butter + Brown Sugar = Crisp shortbread base.Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread

Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread …  to which was added some salted butter caramel {adapted from Jamies sweet blog}, the top smothered in deep, luscious, dark melted chocolate; then briefly left to set! Simple as can be. Next with my Ergo chef knife, the slab was cut into squares {you can do bars/rectangles…whatever grabs your fancy}. YUM! ENJOY!

Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread …

Bake Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

Yield: 25 squares / cookies

Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread …

Crisp healthy delicious shortbread topped with a salted butter caramel sauce...then covered in delicious dark chocolate.

110gm all purpose flour

35gm rolled oats

65gm whole almonds

60gm brown sugar

100gm unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes

1/2 cup salted caramel butter sauce {recipe follows}

150gm dark chocolate, melted

Salted Butter Caramel Sauce

3/4 cup granulated white sugar

4 tbs salted butter

200ml low fat cream

Dark Chocolate Caramel Oat & Almond Shortbread
  1. Preheat oven to 160C.
  2. Place flour, oats, brown sugar and almonds in processor and process until ground {Thermomix: Speed10, 30 seconds}
  3. Add chilled butter and process briefly until breadcrumb like mix. {Thermomix: Speed 6, 5-7 seconds}
  4. Turn into lined 8X 8" square tray, pat into place and bake for about 45 minutes until light golden brown and firm.
  5. Cool completely.
  6. Run the salted butter caramel sauce in microwave until warm and melted. {Will still be thick batter like}
  7. Pour it over the cooled shortcrust, and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Leave in fridge for about an hour to cool completely.
  8. Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or double boiler, and pour evenly over the caramel. Handle the melted chocolate as little as you can to keep it shiny. Spread with an offset spatula to the edges. Leave to set in the fridge for about an hour. Cut into squares.
  9. Salted Butter Caramel Sauce
  10. Melt the sugar in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until completely melted and caramel in color. Lower the heat to low and whisk in the butter in about 3 or 4 additions.
  11. Continuing to whisk, add the cream in a slow stream; the caramel may foam up, but keep whisking, as it will calm down once all the cream is added and will turn to… a smooth caramel. Once it is smooth and creamy, remove from the heat and allow to cool at least to tepid before serving.

A wonderful Xmas treat! Irresistible.

what does a cow say cracked me up ! kids say the darndest things 😀 love the fairy tag deeba….hope you’re having a fun festive season :-) xo, shruti
    a spoonful of yumm´s last blog post ..Corn & Spring Onion GravyMy Profile

• You really can’t go wrong with shortbread… I have no doubt this will make a wonderful holiday present!
    Brian @ A Thought For Food´s last blog post ..{Back to Basics: Segmenting Citrus}My Profile

Came dashing over from interest. These bars look great. I love the oat & nut combo.

• looks yum indeed, your antique sweet box..just love love those chocolatey bars,perfect for xmas!
    jehanne@thecookingdoctor´s last blog post ..Farmhouse Biscuits..a lil gift of festive to youMy Profile

Drooling into ur pix and those shortbreads…..yumm

• Mitali Desai

Hi Deeba! I was wondering if you use quick cooking oats or regular oats? I find it very hard to find regular oats here. (small town blues!)

Deeba, I have always been a silent admirer of your lovely blog. These bars look so great and great pictures as always!
    Happy holidays to you!
    Keerthana´s last blog post ..Bulgur Stuffed Bell PeppersMy Profile

What an awesome gift these would make!! They look fabulous!
    Poornima´s last blog post ..Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Cake (Eggless)My Profile

Those look truly delicious – I am going to a cookie/biscuit swap this Thursday – maybe I’ll do this :)))) Thanks Deeba!!
    Patricia Shea´s last blog post ..A Winter’s Eve in MaineMy Profile

• judith

I think this kind of chocolate are taste good..Thanks for sharing this to us..I am craving to this chocolate..
    judith´s last blog post ..If making money in your business isn’t EASY, you ain’t doing it right…My Profile

As always just gorgeous! YUM!
    Delishhh´s last blog post ..RugelachMy Profile

The rustic edges are so authentic. I love the dark chocolate flavor, gives shortbread lovers more reasons to enjoy a delightful treat! Gonna make a big bunch of these for the kids 😉 Thanks for sharing!

OMG, this looks superb! Your photographs look stunning. You have presented it so beautifully. Happy holidays.

• divya

Hi I have been following your blog for sometime now… and love the way you present your recipes. I tried making this recipe, guess i didnt use salted butter and tried adding salt to unsalted butter, result was it became a bit too salty!!! but its turned out quiet well!! Esp with my hsband hovering around me to finish and taste it:)
    i have tried salted caramel for the first time, didnt realise it was this easy, and YUMMY!!

Thanks again.

Hi Divya, Thank you for your sweet words, and for trying the recipe {and for taking time to write back!}
      Have a wonderful new year!

• Karen

Making these now:) Just think the measurements in the recipe should be all the same either all metric or all U.S. Kind of cumbersome for the average home baker to go back and forth if you don’t have scale, etc.

• Karen

I have read the recipe several times and don’t see where the brown sugar is incorporated…so I added to shortbread crust. Please clarify did I miss it?

You did it right. Sorry I missed it Karen. Updated now. 1000 apologies.

The short bread looks great. I am liking this recipe.
    Joy´s last blog post ..No food Fridays – New Years ResolutionMy Profile

• chandhana

Hi Deeba,

How did u manage to cut them so beautifully? I made these yesterday and the bars came out very very uneven.. even the crust started crumbling..

Hi Chandana, I used a really sharp heavy knife {my Ergo Chef knife} and swiftly cut.

Thank you for the recipe, Deeba! This shortbread was spectacular! Nothing compares to salty caramel and buttery shortbread. :-)

This page just got bookmarked! Remind me (in terms of looks) of the Nanaimo bars I made last week – coconuty base, followed by vanilla custard topped with a thin layer of crunchy chocolate!
    Sneha´s last blog post ..A little bit of this and thatMy Profile