Baking| Orange Almond Olive Oil Cake … an Anna Olson adaptation

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
Leonardo da Vinci

Orange Almond Olive Oil CakeThis is a simple cake and it’s been more than 2 years that I’ve had this recipe bookmarked. Its been on my folder of recipes I HAVE to try forever, yet I missed making it last winter {orange season here}. A few days ago an uncle dropped by to see me, and also dropped by huge bags of apples and oranges. It was time to bake! The apples found their way into these Apple Strawberry Basil Hand Pies.Orange Almond Olive Oil Cake The oranges were destined for Anna Olsons Orange Almond Olive Oil Cake, a recipe I adapted from Vals post of April 2009. Visiting Vals blog is always nostalgic. More Than Burnt Toast and PAB go back many years. I’ve known Val ever since I began blogging {well almost, because in the first few months of blogging I was petrified of this whole blogging paraphernalia}.Orange Almond Olive Oil CakeShe’s a wonderful Canadian food blogger, supportive, fun and talented. We got to know each other better as time passed, and had a great time with the Blogger Aid Cookbook. I contributed a recipe to it, was part of the editing team, and thought up the idea for the book cover.Orange Almond Olive Oil CakeThe cake baked in the kitchen, filling the house with the most amazing aromas. I hadn’t felt this sweet bakery feeling in months. Summer has been filled with quick light desserts, baked in a hurry, sometimes no bake stuff. With the weather changing, a silent feeling of fall round the corner, this cake smelt so good, warm and comforting! Orange Almond Olive Oil Cake

Orange Almond Olive Oil CakeWhile the cake rose in the oven, I sliced up the oranges. The citrus salad is a refreshing, novel idea; a must make! All of it came together beautifully. My cake didn’t have as light a crumb as Vals because I used almost half almond meal and half all purpose flour. It was denser yet moist and delicious. Orange Almond Olive Oil Cake

Orange Almond Olive Oil CakeThe citrus salad is a beautiful addition to an already delicious cake. I took it a teeny indulgent step further, and served some with a drizzle of low fat cream with the citrus salad topping it. YUM!! The kids enjoyed just plain chilled slices too, and we were sad that it got over too soon! What could be better!!Orange Almond Olive Oil CakeOlive oil in baking is a wonderful idea and you must try and use a good quality brand. I would love to bake extensively with extra virgin olive oil but for its prohibitive cost. That said, this cake recipe will be made often as it was really nice!

Orange Almond Olive Oil Cake

Bake Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Yield: 1 9 inch cake

Serves 8-10

Orange Almond Olive Oil Cake

An Anna Olson recipe; adapted from More Than Burnt Toast, this is a moist and delightfully flavoured cake. Orange and almond are a great pairing, and the citrus salad adds a new dimension.

Orange Almond Olive Oil Cake

Icing sugar for dusting

Citrus Salad

3-4 navel oranges

2 T good quality extra virgin olive oil

2 T sugar

1. To prepare Orange Olive Oil Cake
  2. Preheat oven to 180C and butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar. Add olive oil, milk and orange zest and mix well. In a separate bowl, stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to olive oil batter and stir just until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
  4. Let cake cool completely, then turn out onto a plate and dust with icing sugar.
  5. To make Citrus Salad
  6. Cut away skin and pith from outside of oranges and cut out sections of orange with a paring knife, pulling the orange segment out of its membrane. Immediately before serving, toss oranges with olive oil and sugar and serve with a slice of cake, and a serving of unsweetened low fat cream if desired.

A beautiful cake! That is a flavor I appreciate very much.

Deeba..I love Anna ‘s recipes.. her sandwich cake made one of my daughter’s baby showers:)Or was it wedding? No baby..

This cake looks amazing..Thanks so much..It will be a to do soon~
    Monique´s last blog post ..Blueberry and Vanilla Ricotta Pots~My Profile

• bellini

I’m so glad you tried this cake Deeba. Olive oil cakes are my favourite since they are not too sweet and the crumb is intoxicating with the light fruity taste of the olive oil. I have made banana, zucchini, meyer lemon and poppy seed, madarin orange and blood orange variations. Maybe we can keep on experimenting my chocolate.

I’m a huge fan of almond cakes. This one looks delightful, Deeba.

• chinmayie @ love food eat

Looks beautiful! Such a great way to serve with oranges!!
    Rustic and gorgeous!

We’re feeling “that sweet bakery feeling” just looking at those pictures. So beautliful, lovely cake and salad topping.
    Tadka Pasta´s last blog post ..Berry Lemony Wonder BarsMy Profile

Delicious cake,luks so soft and yum…
    Premalatha Aravindhan´s last blog post ..Dates CakeMy Profile

Love the flavor of Oranges in cakes..and combined with Olive oil and almond meal hmmm,the cake sounds so delicious:)
    Divya´s last blog post ..Indian style Fried rice with Shahi PaneerMy Profile

• Nandhini

Hi deeba, very yummy and tasty orange cake. Can you let know the flour measurement you have in this recipe. It says half a cup + 2 T flour. IS that 2 Teaspoon?

Sorry for the confusion Nandhini. It’s 2 tbsp {will amend to make it more clear}. :-)

I got here through foodgawker and I am just learning how to bake! I fell in love with your site instantly! I am now follower!

This looks sublime! Gorgeous photos, as always. We have some good citrus right now so I’ll have to give this a try.
    Katherine Martinelli´s last blog post ..Friday Shout-Out: NutellaMy Profile

That cake must be soooo good! Especially with the addition of a refreshing citrus salad. I just recently made a polenta olive oil cake with lemon and was just amazed by its subtle and refreshing taste. Lovely shots!
    Monika´s last blog post ..Džem od šljiva s cimetom i limunom / Plum Jam With Cinnamon And LemonMy Profile

love this recipe ! a dash of cinnamon is perfect too for this cake :-)
    a spoonful of yumm´s last blog post ..Chocolate Walnut Raisin Brownies with Chocolate Fig SauceMy Profile

I am guilty of the same thing. My bookmarks list is massive, and somewhat embarrassing LOL!
    Olive oil cakes are my favourite. They have the most amazing texture.
    *kisses* HH
    Heavenly Housewife´s last blog post ..Croissant Challenge: Just dough it!My Profile

i’d decided to take a break from reading blogs, because i realised i was always stuck behind a laptop. but this week, i decided to catch up on a few favourites, so i started with PAB. and gosh, deeba, i’ve been swimming in a sea of gorgeous things for the past hour! the cake, that knife next to the oranges, the stalks of wheat next the to cookies, the broken crate under the peaches and plums! love it, love it!
    Pia´s last blog post ..A bit blueMy Profile

• This is just my kind of cake. I’d like to eat this over any amount of chocolate any day. Your beautiful photos just seem to get better and better.
    Sally – My Custard Pie´s last blog post ..Fish for supperMy Profile

I love oil olive cakes. This should be yummie with the almond and orange. Wonderful photos as always!
    Zita´s last blog post ..Basil HummusMy Profile

I love Olive Oil cake and I eat these without any guilt :) Orange and almond is such a perfect combo and the cake looks sooo good!
    kankana´s last blog post ..Pork VindalooMy Profile

• I made an olive oil cake with oranges and almond meal not too long ago and just fell in love with the combination of those flavors. I will have to try this one as well.
    Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen´s last blog post ..polenta with fresh tomatoes and parmesan crisps | polenta made easyMy Profile

• Gera@Sweets Foods Blog

Really a wonderful cake and I’ve never tried orange with olive oil in a cake, but why not? If it has almonds too, definitively a winner :)

All the best,

Gera@Sweets Foods Blog´s last blog post ..CommentLuv Premium Plugin Review: 7 Reasons Why this Plugin RocksMy Profile

I love this kind of cake with a cup of tea. And, the citrus salad sounds lovely with it! I can almost smell those delicious oranges from here.
    lisaiscooking´s last blog post ..Steamed Clams and Basil PestoMy Profile

Your cake looks absolutely delicious – well worth the two year wait! I’m always bookmarking recipes then never getting round to making them, so very impressed that you’ve held on to this one. I love cakes with olive oil – it adds a certain beautiful moistness. Am bookmarking this one…hopefully to try soon! :-)
    thelittleloaf´s last blog post ..Profiteroles with hot chocolate peanut butter fudge sauceMy Profile

I love olive oil cakes and this looks gorgeous! I make a Lemon Olive Oil Cake with a Rosemary-Lemon Glaze that has become one of my favorite year-round desserts. So budget-friendly too. I nearly always have all the ingredients!
    Feast on the Cheap´s last blog post ..Montrachet and Walnut Quesadillas with Apple, Fig, and Date SalsaMy Profile

• Eva

I wont have a good sleep until I get a piece of that cake. Looks so good.
    Eva´s last blog post ..Certified Medical AssistantMy Profile

Delicious looking cake. Must be really addictive!
    Vijitha´s last blog post ..Pathirpeni – Indian dessertMy Profile

• Amelia

I made this last night and it was a disaster! The batter was so thin it was like watery soup. Can you give weight measurements for the almonds and flour? It is so oily that when I touch it my finger is shiny with oil. I knew the recipe proportions seemed strange when I was making it (I am an experienced baker) but I pressed ahead and wasted some expensive ingredients!

Hi Amelia,

I’m sorry you wasted expensive ingredients and the recipe was a disaster. The batter is pretty runny but the cake bakes well. I’ve gone back and checked the other blog posts about the cake and even though most of them are with flour, the proportions of oil and milk are quite the same, and with great results. {1/2 cup olive oil, 1 cup milk} {3/4 cup olive oil, 3/4 cup milk}…
      as the one I made the cake from {}

All of them use cup measures as I have done.
      1/2 cup flour = 62gm
      1/2 cup + 2 tbsp almond meal = 58gm

I do hope this helps.

What an intriguing combination! Almonds, oranges, and olive oil…I love this unique dessert!
    Ameena´s last blog post ..backwardsMy Profile

• Rose

hello deeba,

Thanks for this wonderful site.One of my frnds introduced to me ur site and since then am passionate abt baking and ur site :) Since am a beginner in baking I hav got lots of doubts with ingredients,I hope you wont mind asking it here How can i make Vanilla Sugar?i checked in super markets cudn’t find

Thanks for you time

Hi Rose. Here’s what I do. Just tuck a split and cut vanilla bean into a jar of sugar, shut tight, give it a good shake every alternate day. Place in a cool, dark spot. By the end of the week you will have the beginnings of sweet smelling vanilla sugar at your disposal! Keep replenishing the sugar as you use it. Hope this helps! {Each time I scrape a vanilla bean, I place the leftover bit in a jar of sugar}.

• Jessica

How crumble and lovely that slice is! Need to check in for these oranges here. Almond milk, olive oil.. this must be a bake to treasure .
    Jessica´s last blog post ..ForkliftMy Profile