Dessert| No Bake Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese Pie … #pieformikey

Time has suddenly stood still, though, and I’m waiting to wake up and learn to live a new kind of normal.”
Jennifer Perrilo @ In Jennie’s Kitchen

Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese Pie The food blogging community is a tight knit one. Foodies enjoy ‘being’ together, offering loads of positive vibes and camaraderie everywhere they go. Twitter is one place where you can catch most of the action. On Fridays especially, the timeline practically races away! It’s infectious!Upside Down Mango Quark Cheesecake Pie Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese Pie It’s a place where we all come together, celebrate the highs wholeheartedly, and yet reach out in the face of loss! The outpouring of support, the love, the thoughts, the prayers for Jennifer Perrilo & her girls has been overwhelming. This Friday foodies across the globe are tweeting their love & support for Jennifer with #pieformikey – an outstanding community!Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese Pie The time-line shocked a lot of us a couple of days ago with a tweet saying that Jennifer had lost her husband.  She is one brave lady. Her post after she lost Mikey was heart breaking. Despite the terrible tragedy, she shared her strength with one and all inviting her readers to bake a peanut butter cream pie to support her.  Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese PieJenifer’s Mikey loved Peanut Butter Cream Pie and she kept postponing making it for him. Then suddenly one day it was too late.

I kept telling myself I would make it for him tomorrow. Time has suddenly stood still, though, and I’m waiting to wake up and learn to live a new kind of normal. For those asking what they can do to help my healing process, make a peanut butter pie this Friday and share it with someone you love. Then hug them like there’s no tomorrow because today is the only guarantee we can count on.

Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese Pie Words cannot express the heartbreak we felt on twitter that day. The poignancy of the moment hung heavy. Then there was a call for International Pie Day in honour of Jennifer Perillo. I couldn’t make peanut butter cream pie as I had no peanut butter or cream cheese at home, but I made a no-bake Upside Down Mango Quark Cheesecake Pie  …  #pieformikey.Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese PieI had quark and mangoes in the fridge and the BBC Good Food newsletter that had just dropped into my mailbox. It featured Healthy Summer Recipes, and the main picture was an Upside Down Lemon Cheesecake at 185 calories a slice! Healthy? Yes indeed! I adapted the recipe to make my own quark cheese pie for Jennifer! It was delicious!!Coco Take time to enjoy the small things in life… {above photograph taken by my teen}CocoTragedies like these shake you up. We forget to cherish the special moments, take out time, enjoy the small joys … often so caught up in the race of time. Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese PieDon’t wait for tomorrow to come. Whether its food, family, friends, pups, photography, nature … whatever you like most, breathe it now. Most of us bake or cook for the family, and that feeds our blogs. Let’s get that wish list going, share the love … like this #pieformikey!

[print_this]Recipe: No Bake Upside Down Mango Quark Cheese Pie your picture

Summary: A no bake, low fat quark cheesecake pie {eggless} made with seasonal fruit. It’s satisfying, it’s smooth and it’s delicious.

Total Time: 40 minutes

• 375g quark {homemade recipe here}
  • 100g cottage cheese
  • 200ml low fat cream
  • 75gm powdered sugar
  • 20gm honey
  • 1 1/4 tbsp gelatin
  • Juice of 1 lime + 2 tbsp water
  • 100gm Marie biscuits {or digestive}, crushed
  • 50gms unsalted butter
  • 2-3 mangoes, diced

1. Line a platter with cling film and place 8″ dessert ring over it {Alternatively, line an 8″ springform tin with cling film.}
  2. Whiz the quark and cottage cheese in processor until smooth {Thermomix Speed 10 / 10 seconds}
  3. Add the low fat cream, sugar and honey and blend. {Thermomix Speed 8 / 10 seconds, scrape down once}
  4. Sprinkle the gelatin over the lime juice & 2 tbsp water, and allow to bloom. Place the bowl in a pan of hot water until it becomes translucent.
    Stir into the cheese mixture, or pour into the processor with it running on low {Thermomix Speed 4/ 5 seconds}
  5. Sprinkle half the chopped mangoes onto base of dessert ring, top with quark mixture, and sprinkle with remaining chopped mango, pushing it in gently with the tip of a knife.
  6. Leave to set in fridge for an hour.
  7. Run the biscuit crumbs with the butter in the processor {Thermomix Speed 10 / 10 seconds}
  8. Once it gets slightly firm, sprinkle the biscuit crumb mix on top, pressing very gently into place. Cover the top, and chill for 4-5 hours, preferably overnight.
  9. Carefully turn out onto a plate to serve. Garnish with slivered pistachios and mango cut outs if desired.
  10. {Note: I added 200ml low fat cream to the milk while making the quark}

A delicious and fresh dessert! Your puppy is irresistibly cute.

Hi Deeba, Iam sad to hear of Jennifer’s loss. Indeed we must make the most of the present. May Jennifer find the strength to carry on.

regarding your recipe for the Quark it says to use cultured buttermilk. Is that different from teh usual buttermilk?

Your cake looks delicous and with only185v calories per slice it is something I wld want to make.

Yes indeed Zurin…life can be so unpredictable. I think cultured buttermilk is what they call it here. Do you buy yours from a store? The ingredients should say cultured buttermilk etc & etc. The milk sets like a wobbly home yogurt because of the culture.

OMG so pretty totally unexpected as I opened the link. Your pie and tribute are so delicious and heartfelt. Your doggie always makes me smile. The little things in life!

you’ve captured this so well Vindee – it’s those little things we think we’ll have time to do ‘tomorrow’ when really today is what matters. this is a gorgeous pie – i’m certain Jennie will approve!! and that puppy, oh my heavens, that is a beautiful puppy!!

Heart felt prayers go to your friend.
    The cake looks delicious.´s last blog post ..Aubergine and pidgeon peas curryMy Profile

I love mangos tart and this look amazing and delicious !! Love absolutely love it! aah! and the little, are awesome, love your puppy and Iknow you and allof you are crazy for him! and I understand…. huggs
    gloria´s last blog post ..Apple frangipane TartMy Profile

Very beautiful pie and a heartfelt sentimental gesture.
    Snippets of Thyme´s last blog post ..Homemade Fettucine with an Herbed Cream Crawfish SauceMy Profile

So beautiful. I love the little hearts you cut out. Even if there were no hearts though, you can tell it was made with love! I just discovered some super yummy mangos at my local supermarket that would be perfect for this.
    Have a fantastic weekend ahead.
    *kisses* HH
    Heavenly Housewife´s last blog post ..Hotel des Saints-Peres, ParisMy Profile

If I ever get married will you please come to U.S. and make my wedding cake? Also, make the appetizers, dinner… pretty much anything edible :) I haven’t visited anyones blogs in awhile and I’m missing out. This is beautiful. You are an artist!
    meeso´s last blog post ..BlessedMy Profile

Oh, and that dog is gorgeous!
    meeso´s last blog post ..BlessedMy Profile

A thoughtful, compassionate, and well-written post. #pieformikey represents, for me, the life-affirming and positive potential of the internet. Your pie sounds delicious. 185 calories – disbelief! Thank you for sharing. I’m new to your blog and am so impressed by your sheer class, culinary skill, artistic photography, and knowledgeably friendly voice. I look forward to what you have in store!
    Maia´s last blog post ..Frozen Key Lime PieMy Profile

Beautiful post you dedicated to your friend, Deeba, deeply touched my emotions.
    The cake is very inspiring, so beautiful, and your puppy is the cutest little thing!
    Renata´s last blog post ..BISCOITOS DIGESTIVOSMy Profile

I’ve never tasted mango cake before but from your photos it looks delicious.. very mouth watering photo. Your puppy’s cute.
    myFudo´s last blog post ..just desserts: key lime pieMy Profile

What a beautiful tribute! The cake looks divine.
    Angie@Angiesrecipes´s last blog post ..Linzertorte with Port Stewed DamsonsMy Profile

• Beautiful creation yet again, is so difficult to get good alphonso mangoes here, craving for a slice of your cake now! We should really swap countries you know..´s last blog post ..Eid Special: Almond Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

• What a beautiful post. Your dessert looks delicious! Peanut Butter or not- it’s the thought that counts. We are part of an amazing community!
    Tricia@ Recipe Roundup´s last blog post ..Peanut Butter PieMy Profile

It’s a beautiful cheesecake! I love the heart-shaped pieces of mango. Don’t wait for tomorrow indeed. Great advice!
    lisaiscooking´s last blog post ..Almond-Fennel CocktailMy Profile

Cake looks absolutely divine. The photography is so endearing… it simply takes my breath away. And, trust me, it’s no cliche.
    Nash at Plateful´s last blog post ..Chicken puffs — light, crisp, flaky pastries stuffed with spicy chicken filling —a stunning starter for any occasionMy Profile

This whole sad affair reminds and reading your tender words reminds me of your guest post for my own blog when my brother passed away. We sadly end up waiting for the loss of a lived one to understand how precious life is and that we need to live it to the fullest and appreciate the love and life we have around us. JP and I have been doing that. And what a wonderful tart you have made so full of love. xoxo
    Jamie´s last blog post ..FABULOUS EASY ONE-BOWL CHOCOLATE CAKESMy Profile

Can’t take off ma eyes frm ur pix…. wat a lovely cheesecake… & that heart shaped mangoes stood lovely…
    Hasna´s last blog post ..Chicken Muzhuman (Whole Chicken in spicy gravy)My Profile

What sad news. Deeba your post is beautiful – thank you for sharing those words of advice – they are so true, sometimes we keep putting things we love off and we run out of time. Much love to Jennifer and her family. Thinking of them during this tough time. xoxo
    Erin´s last blog post ..Cherry Pie!My Profile

A heartfelt post that I’m sure Jennifer will apreciate. It has been amazing to see how the food blogging community has come together in this instance. Your cheesecake looks gorgeous and I’m jealous you’re still getting such juicy mangoes at your market!
    Sukaina´s last blog post ..Rosemary Bread Rolls Stuffed With Cheese and Chilli Paste and a GiveawayMy Profile

Wonderful!!!!! And the little dog is really a preciousness…
    Laube´s last blog post ..Ensalada de arroz sobre zanahorias marinadasMy Profile

What a wonderful cake! I love no-bake quark cheesecakes, and the addition of mango is summery fantastic.
    Sabine´s last blog post ..Sour Cherry-Pistachio Mousse CakesMy Profile

The kind of dessert to die for. Love it.
    And why is coco looking so quiet. Whats he planning 😉 ?
    Especially love the pic of coco taken by your daughter.
    Indu´s last blog post ..Sausage RollsMy Profile

This looks gorgeous, what a wonderful way to show support to Jennifer!
    Maria @ Scandifoodie´s last blog post ..Weekend affairs & lightly pickled carrotsMy Profile

Such a poignant post – difficult to know what to say. I’ll leave it to the beautiful yellow hearts.
    Sally Prosser´s last blog post ..In search of the perfect sconeMy Profile

• komal yadav

I want a pupy like you.Please tell me the breed?It looks so cute.

Hi Komal, The pup is a cocker spaniel. Very cute and very naughty!

Such a sad story. But your puppy pictures are adorable!! Quark Cheese is something we use all the time cooking in Sweden. Very nice recipe. Most cheesecakes in Sweden are actually make out of Quark
    Delishhh´s last blog post ..Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana BreadMy Profile

• Saba

Hello from Japan.

Awesome!! I am goin to try this!!

I tried your mascarpone balsamic strawberry chake too. It was the most wonderful thing I have ever tasted.

You rock!! Love your blog!!

Wow, this looks so good!! Love the little flower accent too, it gives it such a nice and elegant feel to it! Such a cute sight to see and I bet it must have tasted just as good as it looks. Thanks for the recipe, will attempt~
    Diana´s last blog post ..Learning ReikiMy Profile

I did come to know about Jennifer and the tweet,it is really sad.May her husband Rest In Peace.
    Please give me your twitter as well,I will start following you.:-)
    I saw four new recipes from you on my dashboard list,and came to see this one before any other.I love mangoes,and in an egg less dessert,sounds even better!Thank you for sharing.:-)
    Fahad Khan´s last blog post ..Potpourri Of Flavors: Thai FoodMy Profile

The cheesecake looks wonderful.

• Susan Richey

the recipes fpr the ‘Dark Chocolate Mousse cake links to the upside down no bake quark mango cheesecake as does the listing for this as well. FYI

• Pooja

Hey! I made this yesterday & it turned out awesome….even my not too dessert friendly husband loved it! I know I am going to make this as many times as possible this summer. Thank you, Deeba! :-)

• Mansi Singh

Hi Deeba
    Your Mango Quark Cheese Pie looks amazing. Just wondering what Low fat cream do you use for your desserts. I have only found Amul in the market and after its whipped to peaks also I find it seizes to hold after a few hours. I used it in a Bannoffee pie last week which I made in a pie mould and I found just before serving the cream I found had started leaving water.
    Please help.

Hi Mansi,
      Thank you for your sweet words. I still tend to use Amul more often than never. We do now get a so called double cream at Modern Bazaar and La Marche but I find the quality pretty inconsistent. I chill my cream for 1-2 days before I whip it up. You wont believe it, but last week I was making a choc mousse and I wanted to pour cream over it. For the first time in my life, at 42, the Amul cream whipped up to stiff peaks in 3 minutes flat. Very very strange!! Banoffee with Amul cream is bad news. I’ve had a terrible experience with it and I wept with my weeping pie. Water everywhere and it completely fell apart.
      Chill it good is my best advise. Also snip off the top and drain any watery liquid that comes to the top.
      Good luck!!

• RS
    9 months ago

Hello Deeba

Awe-inspiring as all your other creations on the blog. I was planning to make this over the weekend so just wanted to clarify if by cottage cheese you meant regular paneer or the imported, slightly liquidy cottage cheese that you get in cheese spread like tubs at high end supermarkets in India?
    Noticed that Coco has been absent for a long time from the blog!

• 9 months ago

Hi Ruchi. Thank you for the sweet words. Regular paneer. I don’t use imported stuff as far as I possibly can.
      Sorry about Coco being absent. Must make sure she shows up sometime soon. She’s doing great though …naughty as ever. :-)

• Ruchi
        9 months ago

Thanks for the prompt reply. I should have guessed because you rely on local produce and aim to do things from scratch :). Looking forward to seeing Coco on your blog, she must have grown up.

• 9 months ago

There you go Ruchi. Yes, she’s older. Now 3, but looks quite the same. :-)

• Ruchi
            8 months ago

Thanks! Unfortunately I am unable to view the snap :(.