Baking| German Plum Cake (Pflaumenkuchen) With Ricotta & Fresh Thyme … #MM

“Blues is to jazz what yeast is to bread. Without it, it’s flat.”
Carmen McRae

German Plum Cake (Pflaumenkuchen) With Ricotta & Fresh ThymeMy very last stash of plums found their way into this yeasted dough German Plum Cake {Pflaumenkuchen}. Twitter seems to have taken over as the menu planner for me and PAB! Such is the power of this addictive and inspiring social  networking site that I often bake in an auto mode.German Plum Cake (Pflaumenkuchen) With Ricotta & Fresh Thyme These days, my passion for fruit in desserts / baking is fueled by tweets, be it this No Bake Upside-down Mango Quark Cheesecake for  #pieformikey or the Plum Ginger Summer Fruit Cake for #baketogether. This yeasted German Plum Cake {Pflaumenkuchen was no different. Even though I’ve been missing from twitter largely over the past few months, the tweets get delivered to my mailbox.

MeetaWFLH MeetaWFLH: Ladies hope you will be there for #MONTHLYMINGLE this month. Yeasted Doughs @lifesafeast @vindee @cooksisterblog @Junglefrog @monawise
Aug 16, 1:55 PM via HootSuite

German Plum Cake (Pflaumenkuchen) With Ricotta & Fresh ThymeThe tempting tweet from Meeta found me while I was knee deep in a baby food shoot and production for a client. So much baby food Mr PAB asked? I looked at him incongruously; didn’t he know? The pooch knew where it was headed; she is a baby after all! My kids never had the luxury of a risotto when they were babies … the pooch scored a big high five over them!German Plum Cake {Pflaumenkuchen} With Ricotta & Fresh Thyme Work wound up, and before I knew it I was happily looking at a bowl of rising yeasted dough. It’s so warm here these days, the dough doubled really quick. BLISS! I didn’t do any hard work for kneading the dough silky smooth … it was the Thermomix that turned out perfect looking dough in a couple of minutes. I have never loved working with dough this much!German Plum Cake {Pflaumenkuchen} With Ricotta & Fresh ThymeThe recipe is adapted from one I had bookmarked from the very talented Mowies blog quite a while ago. Maybe I was waiting for Kulsum to host the delightful Monthly Mingle this month; her call – Yeasted Doughs. Could I resist it? Niyet! No way! I made wonderful yeasted Nutella Walnut & Orange Rolls in Feb last year, and I was ready for yeasted dough again! German Plum Cake {Pflaumenkuchen} With Ricotta & Fresh Thyme Meetas tweet just pushed me out of my procrastination and had me scraping a vanilla bean! All thanks to addictive, inspiring twitter… and my fab foodie friends, the dough was patted into place when I contemplated adding some homemade ricotta onto it. To perk it up, I sweetened it with some deep muscavado sugar {thank you Sheetal}, and a little low fat cream for good measure. Worked a charm!German Plum Cake (Pflaumenkuchen) With Ricotta & Fresh ThymeThis is my twist to the Pflaumenkuchen … and it’s certainly a yummy one. A dusting of castor or vanilla sugar and a drizzle of low fat unsweetened cream completes the magic of this cake. Both Mr PAB and the lad compared it to the Plum Ginger Summer Fruit Cakesomewhat similar flavours they said!German Plum Cake {Pflaumenkuchen} With Ricotta & Fresh Thyme

German Plum Cake (Pflaumenkuchen) With Ricotta & Fresh ThymeThis German traditional cake tasted better with cream as the plums were rather tart. I think a drizzle of cream adds a certain indulgent feel to it … like it’s dressed to mingle!! German Plum Cake {Pflaumenkuchen} With Ricotta & Fresh Thyme And just in case you’re wondering where the fresh thyme is, look carefully and you shall see two small sprigs. Sadly, that is all left of my poor plant. This naughty cocker has been having a party outside and the garden, including the herb patch, is history. She chomps her way through all my plants while I try to work, and then sits and eyes my food settings in great hope that she will get a few crumbs! Not a chance!!

[print_this]Recipe: German Plum Cake (Pflaumenkuchen) With Ricotta & Fresh Thyme
your picture

Summary: This is my twist to the Pflaumenkuchen, with some ricotta added to it as topping; it’s certainly a yummy one. A dusting of castor or vanilla sugar and a drizzle of low fat unsweetened cream completes the magic of this cake.

Total Time: 40 minutes

• 175gms ricotta {homemade recipe here}
  • 50ml low fat cream
  • 65gm muscavado sugar
  • 1kg plums, stones removed, quartered
  • 1 small bunch of thyme
  • Castor sugar for sprinkling

1. Pour the milk into a pan, add the butter, place over a medium heat until the butter dissolves into the milk. Allow to cool slightly.
  2. Place flour, yeast, egg, pinch of salt, vanilla bean seeds and sugar int a bowl. Add the warm {not hot}  melted milk/butter mixture and mix by hand or with the hook attachment of your mixer until smooth. {Thermomix: Speed 6, 7 seconds, then Knead for 2 minutes. Do not leave machine unattended while kneading}
  3. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and allow the dough to double in size.
  4. Blend the ricotta with the muscavado sugar and cream until smooth and creamy. {Thermomix: Speed 8, 10 seconds. Scrape sides, repeat again}.
  5. Preheat the oven to 175˚C and line a baking tray {30cm x 40cm} with baking parchment.
  6. Dust a working area with flour, remove the dough from the bowl and knead again. Roll out onto the baking tray making sure to cover the whole surface including the corners. {I patted it into place}
  7. Spread the blended ricotta over the dough, and cover it with plum quarters, and a sprinkling of vanilla sugar if desired. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, allow to cool, then sprinkle with caster sugar and fresh thyme leaves.

Really inspiring fruit baking. pics of the pup are absolutely cute.

this looks so delicious ! ive never tried plums in a cake . love the pics….coco ‘s chomping healthy food 😉

• What a beautiful cake!! I love the colour and texture and of course the fact that it is yeasted make sit even more interested!

What a beautiful and exquisite kuchen! Sweet yeasted treats are awesome.

Okay, so I was thinking about how wonderful your photos were…. and then you had to go an include the puppy. Are you trying to melt my heart at this hour? Seriously, I don’t have the strength first thing in the morning!!

Absolutely beautiful photos. The tart looks as delicious as is your writing about it. That is so funny that your puppy ate your herbs! I’ve never seen my dog go near my pots outside but I do see birds pecking at them.

Mmm, colorful and very appetizing looking.

• Domestic Deepa

Photography is amazing and the cake looks delicious too!

Loved this yeasted cake 🙂 i wud love to try this one…:-) Awesome clicks as always

Looks wonderful. Especially love the pic of the super juicy plums in the silver vessel. It should be really difficult to resist the temptation to eat those plums before they make it to the cake.

• Sumanjit Kaur Tripathy

Hi Deeba,
    It looks YUM !!
    Can i put dry thyme instead ?

OMGoodness you always make everything looks so appealing. This is scrumptious and I wish I could have a slice, That dog of yours she is aheartbreaker, every time I see a pic of hers I go aww.

Looks delicious…and beautiful.

Cook Lisa Cook

• I agree with everyone. What great color and texture that cake has.Looks absolutely gorgeous. Only wish I could have a piece 🙁

Thank you so much for joining us at Monthly Mingle Dee. Hugs

• Beautiful as always, Deeba!

This looks divine – but THANK YOU for linking to your nutella/orange rolls! They sound exquisite, and I can’t wait to make them once the weather cools off a bit!

• Beautiful Deeba…you are spoiling me a bit though; I fear I will start to look for a photo of the adorable pup each time…SO cute.

I simply love plums; fresh and in baked good and this one look absolutely superb.

I don’t know wich one i preffer between this one and the last one you made! They both look great and yummy 😉

• I made a plum crumble last night more out of necessity as we are overwhelllmmed by plums at the moment. This looks like a FABULOUS new little recipe to try this summer to use some of the little lovlies up. Great post as always 🙂

Love that your cake has yeast in it! Very unusual. The color of the plums are magnificent Debba and the hints of green fromt eh thyme really make the pictures pop!

You are a great artist and I LOVE how you make everything looks ah so beautiful and exotic, even in rustic settings! I heart fruits in desserts or baked goodies–just like you.. 🙂 Hey Deeba, wish I could meet you personally and get some tips from you, sigh.

Beautiful Pflaumenkuchen. This is called Fla in my area of Germany. My mother in law also puts vanilla sugar in her.

• Another fabulous cake. A little cream is always a perfect addition. The pup sure is growing. Naughty little guy. 🙂

• If I want some eye candy at such late night, I know where to click-DAB! Yet a beautiful creation, kudos Deeba! and share with me pls the baby food recipes, my fussy baby is being spoilt now with good homemade food and summer berries, but haven’t tried risotto yet come to think again.

• Oops-earlier post–not DAB but PAB..typos:-)

My grandma has passed down a very similar recipe to me for plum cake with a yest dough. Thank you for sharing your recipe as I anxiously await the italian prune plums my family has always used to make my own.

recently I tried a version with peaches that turned out wonderfully as well:

Love the look of that cake with all that gorgeous fruit on top. It’s the summer I needed (since we’re not having any, I might as well enjoy it in a photo, right?)
    Love those photos of the pup. So cute! My cat seems to be a little better equipped to get closer to my food, unfortunately!

This is a sheer gorgeous cake and rich one too, never thought of using any herb in show me the way..and your photos do narrate a tale…I was ur silent reader until this comment..thanx for the follow in twitter

• such gorgeous photos! i love it:) thank you for sharing this.

Yu have certainly hit a high note here for me having lived in Germany for 8 years. It is one of my all time favorites and one I make every autumn.

Your little pooch is so, so cute!! I love plums, and this plum cake looks sensational. Been so busy lately I haven’t been anywhere near Twitter lately 🙁

Ah how I wish I could pull one of those out of the computer screen! Just beautiful, and I love that you used thyme. Fruit with herbs is amazing. I am surprised it isnt more of a trend.
    *kisses* HH

This flavor combination sounds just amazing!! Cannot wait to try it. Hope you had a great summer!

• Gera@Sweets Foods Blog

Deeba how wonderful plum cake, but more beautiful is mixing gorgeous cakes with twitter haha!
    Two addictions in one package 🙂

this looks awesome! love the pics of ur pup too!

• Manju

Hi Deeba,
    Have always wanted to praise your dishes and pics…This one too is Amazing as usual 🙂
    WIll definitely be trying this out.
    I’m new to baking and is yet to explore many recipes.

G’day and beautiful! This is now on my list to do! Thank you!