Baking| Espresso Chocolate Chip Cupcakes … Espress-o-love for Mother’s Day!!

“Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee.”
Author Unknown

Espresso Chocolate Chip CupcakesExpresso Love. Have you heard the song? Its sung by my favourite band of all time, Dire Straits, whose timeless, classic music never ceases to amaze! Money For Nothing, Sultans of  Swing … yank them up to the ‘are you crazy levels‘ and its nirvana for me!! Similar to the effect coffee has on me. Espresso love … Espresso Chooclate-chip CupcakesThose who have known me for long, know that coffee is my favourite flavour of all time. There was a time when every celebration cake was coffee or espresso. Then came food blogs … each offering fresh perspective, new insights, flavours I had never dreamt of using. Now fruits of the season charm me and prod me to pick them off shelves. Good days are back again and we’re treading slowly into stone fruit season. I made a delicious chocolate & cherry dessert yesterday; should be my next post! Here’s a sneak peek…CherriesYet I couldn’t let the mother in me not post about coffee this week. I was googling for coffee or espresso muffins, one link led to another, and I halted at a tempting site espresso machine reviews. I don’t own an espresso maker, though I do have a coffee maker of sorts; the reviews made me want to own one of those beauties!Espresso Chooclate-chip CupcakesEspresso Chocolate-chip CupcakesThe lad decided to explore the site further and offered to buy me one for Mother’s Day! He read the reviews and zeroed in on the rancilio silvia review. “Would you like this one Mama?”, the ever charming creature queried. Ever since I ordered the misplaced pinch cap for my Sigma lens from ebay and it was shipped from the US, he thinks we can ship anything in! It’s a great idea, but one who is oceans apart from those mean machines, these espresso dark-chocolate chip cupcakes are good enough, for now at least. Espresso Chooclate-chip CupcakesAre you a coffee junkie? Does your morning begin with a cuppa coffee? Mine does. Coffee just makes things better! These muffins are great for a coffee loving Mum! Nothing like a deep, delicious espresso cupcake to make the day complete. Dark chocolate pairs beautifully with coffee, and IMHO, a creme chantilly topping might compliment these cupcakes nicely too. I love the cases too, and have to thank my friend Bina for sending these vibrant and beautiful liners to me. I love the colours Bina!

[print_this]Recipe: Espresso Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with a Chocolate Espresso Ganache

your picture

Total Time: 40 minutes

• 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup vanilla sugar
  • 1 tbsp espresso powder {or 2 tbsp coffee powder}
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk, room temperature
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line {or grease} a 12 mold muffin tray
  2. With a fork, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Reserve
  3. Beat the butter, vanilla sugar, espresso powder, vanilla extract and egg in a large mixing bowl.
  4. Add the flour mix and milk, and blend on low speed until smooth, 30 seconds.
  5. Fold in the chocolate chips
  6. Spoon into muffin cases upto 2/3 full.
  7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until springy to the touch. Cool in the tin for about a minute before putting the muffins onto a wire rack to cool completely.Top with ganache if desired. {Recipe follows}

Recipe: Chocolate Espresso Ganache

Total Time: 5 minutes

• 100gms dark chocolate, room temperature
  • 50ml low fat cream
  • 1/2 tsp espresso powder

1. Place the chocolate and cream in a heat proof bowl, and microwave on full power for 30 seconds. Stir, and give it another 10-15 seconds if need be.
  2. Add the espresso powder and blend well with a spoon until smooth and shiny. Cool and use.

Don’t miss a post Also find me on The Rabid Baker, The Times of India

• Shilpa

Your pics are totally amazing! I am planning to bake a coffee cake (Nigella’s recipe) and now also am going to make these espresso cupcakes. Perfecto!
    Shilpa´s last blog post ..The amazing world of tomatoesMy Profile

A perfect combination! Any mother would be happy to receive these lovely cupcakes.

Those are very yummy cupcakes for Mother’s day… Cooked and served with love…
    Vimitha Anand´s last blog post ..Green salad with Sweet Corn and Olives Awards AgainMy Profile

I am more into green tea but enjoy an occasional cup of coffee. My dad is addicted to coffee and I don’t want to end up like him lol
    Lovely cupcakes, Deeba. That cherry dessert looks fabulous, looking forward to your next post!
    Happy Mother’s Day :)
    Yuri´s last blog post ..Wine 101My Profile

• So cute! Love the toppers and they look so yummy =D Happy early mother’s day!
    Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets´s last blog post ..You Might Call Me Hooked Black Sesame Macaron Pops with Mochi FillingMy Profile

• These look amazing — love the toppers! Happy early mother’s day!

Looks so good! My mum loves her coffee too :) Have a great weekend, happy mother’s day!
    pigpigscorner´s last blog post ..Molecular Cooking- Textures of LycheeMy Profile

• Barbara | VinoLuciStyle

You and me both sister; you say espresso…then add chocolate and it equals love!

I must try these. As much as I do love the chocolate and the espresso, I also so prefer them mixed with a lighter dough…this looks perfect for my tastes.
    Barbara | VinoLuciStyle´s last blog post ..Cinco de Mayo Recipe RoundupMy Profile

Perfect Cupcakes.I love tea,but for baking its usually coffee. Can imagine the delectable aroma while baking.And the ganache topping is excellent.
    CurryLeaf´s last blog post ..Strawberry ShortCupCake with Paneer-Almond CreamMy Profile

• Oh my! Yes 100 times yess!!!

Simply beautiful! I am not a huge coffee person, but they always say that coffee really highlights the taste of chocolate! That frosting looks so nice and rich 😀
    *kisses* HH

looks beautiful as well as yummy..
    Tasty Appetite
    Jay´s last blog post ..Spicy Mutton MasalaMy Profile

Mamma mia !!! I’m dreaming of trying one of them !!!
    natalia´s last blog post ..French Fridays with Dorie – Tourteau de Chevre and moreMy Profile

OMG Look amazing of course dear Deeba, love, really love and are soooo cute!! I have to make my post for Mom day! huggs xoxoxoxo

I was in Seattle over the weekend and had Seattle Coffee Works make me what I call a “bong” coffee. So clear and clean I supped an entirte cup with no cream or sugar. Quute something for someone who only likes their coffee “Crisp”. I do love coffee flavoured desserts, liqueurs and frozen treats, so bring on the coffee Deeba:D
    bellini´s last blog post ..A Berry-licious Menu with a Salad of Mesclun with Berries and Sweet Spiced AlmondsMy Profile

YES, yes, yes!! Am a big time coffee lover and my morning begins with a HUGE mug of strong, sweet’ish’ filter coffee. Hubby often teases me about the amount of coffee I drink in that jumbo mug.

Have tried and absolutely loved your cappuccino muffins and these sound super tempting as well, bookmarked for times when I want a coffee bake, its my fav flavor too!

The muffin cases look so pretty, perfect for Mother’s Day!
    Suma´s last blog post ..Coffee Cream Cake – For Me !My Profile

• Something tells me for mother’s day you will not take the day off completely; you will be near an oven baking another super creation of yours. Happy Mothers Day.
    sandhya@vegetarianirvana´s last blog post ..Churros Inspired- Baked Twisted Cinnamon SticksMy Profile

Although I like coffee I have to start the day with a cup of tea. I do like it in cooking though and these really appeal. I hope you get your machine sometime soon – I think you deserve it.
    Sally Prosser´s last blog post ..Custard – a tale of unrequited loveMy Profile

Extremely addictive and tempting cupcakes…
    Priya´s last blog post ..Watermelon GranitaMy Profile

Yum! What a beautiful treat for a special occasion!

I totally love coffee! These look yummmm! Your pics are stunning Deeba!
    Parita´s last blog post ..Oreo Cookies Chocolate Cream CakeMy Profile

Oooh yes I AM an espresso and coffee fanatic and these are most definitely for me. Especially with that lovely touch of ganache on top. Perfect! And good for the Boy! You taught him well! xoxo

Happy Mother’s Day to you! These cupcakes look awesome. Love coffee here, non-stop re-fuels throughout the day :)

very happy mother day Deeba, love the quote! mum’s are the best and i heart those cupcake tins! gorgeous!
    Ananda Rajashekar´s last blog post ..Its all yours – Culinary Smackdown Battle – Zucchini Time!My Profile

Hey Deeba! Had my heart set on these since this morning – so sent my help to get ‘atta’. I didn’t realise till I started adding the ‘atta’ to the batter :-( My heart sank & I thought, so were my muffins. Surprise, surprise – these have turned out beautifully! Not a trace of APF used, just as delicious – only not as light – but who cares! Atta anyday over maida!

• Tiffany

This recipe is going on my stress baking list! I am a coffee enthusiast through and through!

I tried these and reviewed them here:

Happy Eating!

• Swati

Hi Deeba

Have been following ur site recently and must say, fantastic effort it is! beautiful pictures and recipes! have lately started baking myself.. just a beginner.. wanted to ckeck that since i dont have cupcake / muffin molds, can i bake this batter as a cake (in a cake tin)? or would it require some more / less ingredients? what do u estimate as the baking time (of course i ll take that skewer-comes-out-clean test)..

• I ‘m addicted to coffee, so I like your cupcakes very much and featured this recipes on my blog! I hope you don’t mind! If you don’t agree with that please contact me and I will remove it. All the best.
    Vera Zecevic – Cupcakes Garden´s last blog post ..Mothers Day Espresso Chocolate Chip CupcakesMy Profile

• swati dhameja

ur cup cakes are amazing