Frozen Dessert| Strawberry Fresh Mint & Lime Sorbet … summer’s here & macarons too!

“Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer
Those days of soda and pretzels and beer
Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer
Dust off the sun and moon and sing a song of cheer

Nat King Cole

Strawberry Fresh Mint SorbetSome songs will never be forgotten, and some voices will live forever. He was singing the song in his rich, deep, baritone voice {in my head of course} as I caught sight of the sorbet in my reader. Nat King Cole had no clue, but I so knew I was going to make it soon. It sounded easy,breezy and beautiful. What I didn’t know was that I would be walking into the kitchen in the next 10 minutes and whizzing it together.Strawberry Fresh Mint SorbetIf you own a food processor, or better still, a Thermomix, summer will never be better. My herb garden is absolutely thriving for some unknown reason, the first summer that I’ve had great success with growing herbs. Mint I have always had plenty of, and basil too. For the thyme, rosemary, purple basil, chives, parsley, coriander and oregano I must thank the lovely folk from Hometown Seeds, which specializes in high quality garden and herb seeds, for sending me a selection of herb seeds.Strawberry Fresh Mint SorbetI have never been so excited at seeing a lush potful of thyme and the beginnings of rosemary. The thyme is thriving, and I used it in these Strawberry Apple Crumbles here. The rosemary is looking good but will take a while to become ‘plant enough‘ to use. If you saw my overflowing patch of mint you’d  turn an envious green! Every neighbour who walks by asks me for some. I often pull it out, roots and all and hand it to them to grow a patch of their own … sharing some mint love! Its a beautiful fresh herb, yet I don’t use it as often as I should.Strawberry Fresh Mint Sorbet & MacaronsI’ve been hurriedly freezing bags of strawberries this past month as I feared they would disappear with the mercury rising; it’s touching 37C these days.  Yet strangely enough, the prices have come down, and the quality improved! Lush, red strawberries are still flooding the market, so what better way to celebrate than to use my frozen berries and make this beautiful sorbet.Strawberry Fresh Mint Sorbet & macaronsThis sorbet changed the way I look at mint, and makes me guard my mint patch a little more. The frozen delight tantalizes the palette and is bowl licking good  … oh-so-refreshing!! I made the recipe from what I remembered reading, which in my case meant that ingredients changed along the way. Proves a point that the memory isn’t as good as it used to be!Strawberry Fresh Mint SorbetI added juice of a lime instead of the vanilla extract {I could have sworn I read lime and not extract …sigh!}, and I didn’t register the food colour. Just as well that I didn’t because the natural colour in itself is tantalizing… as was the taste. I urge you to go and buy and freeze strawberries, and whip up this fabulous, no fat delight which makes you welcome summer with open arms. Oh the colours and oh the flavours … A D D I C T I V E!!Chocolate Macarons with Strawberry Fresh Mint SorbetI had a wee bit that I saved up to pair with chocolate macarons I made for this month. Our theme for April at MacTweets is CHOCOLAT! This month of April, the MacKitchen is being devoted to chocolate. Chocolate Macarons are taking over! Jamie & I called for you to create something sensational, surprising, unique, something beautiful, delectable, tantalizing, something worthy of a Mac Attack using chocolate.Chocolate Macarons with Strawberry Fresh Mint SorbetPair it with a  novel ingredient which will add texture or flavor or color, something, anything which will accentuate, complement the chocolate flavor and make for one spectacular mac! These chocolate macaron shells paired with a sweet/tart strawberry fresh lime sorbet screamed summer, tantalizing, sensational and delectable.

Do you want to join Jamie and me making MACARONS??

If you do, you are most welcome to join the
‘Attack’. You can find all the information at our dedicated macaron blog
MacTweets. The rules for can be found here. You can always join this month, or the next if you like. Just drop us a mail or tweet.

[print_this]

Strawberries, fresh mint and lime sorbet

Source: Adapted from the Nourished Kitchen

What better way to welcome the dreaded HOT days of summer. This is a natural and sensational sorbet to beat the heat. It is fresh and exciting, and a wonderful way to use summers bounty. My mint patch is overflowing and I loved that I could add fresh mint to the strawberries.

your picture

Ingredients:

• 450gms frozen strawberries, thawed at room temperature for twenty minutes {for TM, use straight from the freezer}
  • 1/4 cup minced mint leaves {for TM, no need to mince}
  • 2/3 cup sugar or honey {reduce if the strawberries are sweet. Mine were tart}
  • Juice of 1 lime

Equipment:

• Thermomix or food processor

1. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of the Thermomix {speed 10 / 20seconds, use spatula to stir} or a food processor and process until smooth.
  2. Transfer to the freezer, if necessary, to harden, or serve immediately. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint.

YIELD: about 1 pint.
TIME: about 5 minutes.
NOTE: Depending on the sweetness of your berries, you may wish to adjust the sweetener or omit it entirely.
Copyright Deeba@Passionate About Baking

[/print_this]

49 Comments

• Beautiful, Deeba! So refreshing. I just learned the hard way that out of season strawberries SUCK so I’m gonna have to wait a few more months :).

How wonderfully refreshing Deeba..can’t wait for strawberries to make it !

you have a collection of strawberry recipes that cannot be found anywhere else! photography, sensational!

beautiful flavourful and delicious dessert

• I see your using your Thermomix to great advantage! 😉

Such a fresh and innovative ode to Spring Deeba!

Omy dear What lovely and beauties are youir post, I love strawberries and these look fantastic, delicioius dessert! nice pictures! xoxox gloria

So refreshing and exquisite!

looks divine!

I’m a huge fan of your photography !!! Awesome, awesome clicks!!! I

Perfect for the rising temperatures…

Oh my, that sorbet look absolutely heavenly! Such a gorgeous color as well and it looks perfect enrobed in those gorgeous chocolate macarons.

I will have to try to make sorbet. Can’t wait for strawberry season. Love the pics!

You bought a thermomix????

and you already started on sorbets and ice creams!! I am jealous! we are still in stew weather!! :O

Deeba, it’s 5am where I am, woke up to finish up some work for the office tomorrow…checked out your blog and now feeling utterly thirsty!! I want some!! and sorbet as macaron filling?? now who would;ve thought of that? gorgeous as always!

Ohh just gorgeous as always – i just want to use my spoon here and taste :). So i have noticed when i make sorbet and do not use alcohol that after it sits in the freezer for awhile it becomes a brick, but when i do use alcohol i do not have that problem. What is your trick?

You had me thinking there Ewa, but I haven’t been able to figure this out. I made a melon-basil sorbet at the same time too, but I noticed that that ended up like rock, though the strawberry one didn’t, though both didn’t have any alcohol in them. A dash of vodka always saves the day, which is what I did all of last year.
      Hmmm

• Erika

Great pictures Deeba and great receipe. I love strawberries and also blueberries my two fav fruits. I will have to try these with both berries.. thanks

Mmm.. Yummy sorbet. It’s been so hot here few days now. Perfect frozen treat!

Thatz a real treat!! Totally agree with u , the colours and the flavours … are soo addictive!
    Macaroons look perfect…
    As always awesome clicks..!!!

Oh Deeba….you have your very own herb patch. Don’t knwo why I;m surprised since you really are superwoman. Summer is here in Dubia too and I recently made a strawberry and lime granita. So I can almost taste the sorbet off of your page 🙂

yummm yummm yummm deeba I have to make it now 🙂

Ohhh that combo sounds delicious deeba….love that fat feet in yr macarons!

Oh you are turning me green Deeba, with all this talk of hot days and lush herb patches 🙂 What a glorious sorbet and perfect macarons! Have you tried mint and pineapple sorbet? It’s fabulous.

My boy loves pineapple. MUST try that combination. TY Shaz!!

Very refreshing and delicious sorbet…simply addictive..

my god- utterly beautiful. i cant wait for the strawberry season to arrive here in Toronto. Deeba, these photos are just beautiful- yes, i am saying it again!. x shayma

Wow…….love that awesome color….looks perfect and yum….perfect summer recipe….

• Mike

Fantastic recipe, looks delicious and healthy. Looking forward to creating this Strawberry, Fresh Mint & Lime Sorbet for the grand kids this weekend. Pictures look delicious and the recipe is fantastic.
    ————-
    Thanks and Regards
    Mike

blenders and food processors

Absolutely gorgeous – the photos, the recipe, everything. The color that you achieved with that sorbet makes me want to dive right in.

All looks beautiful, I always freeze some strawberries for the winter months in case there is something I fancy making later on. All our berries are going now and we are moving into winter fruit of pears and apples.

oh wow deeba so fresh… delhi must be hot now!! i am so so jealous of your herb patch… that mint looks beautiful. as always love your images, you have so much patience with your craft 🙂

This looks stunning. Here in Sydney the weather has gone cooler so we are heading towards winter!

What a magnificent color, Deeba! And refreshing. Just in time for the warm weather we are having in Florida. Ice cream season is definitely starting!

• Irina

I was just looking for a fruit sorbet and your recipe comes just in time. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Irina

Deeba,

This sorbet is amazing. The colors are really sensational. I cannot wait for good strawberries to show up in our markets, as I am going to have to work on making a sorbet like this. I can just imagine some wonderful additions to use as well as mint. Really lovely. Thank you for making it and sharing it with us.

You’re making me crave summer. It looks incredible. So rich, so red, so delicious!

I love strawberries! and i loove sorbet! It looks soo absolutely delicious!

Your sorbet has such an amazing color, just gorgeous! I am happy that your herb garden is expanding…they look happy and healthy 🙂

It’s a lovely evening here in the Caribbean, a bowl of this sorbet would make it perfect.

Just fabulous!

Oh, honey, it is strawberry season and I can always count on you, Oh Strawberry Queen, to create the best strawberry recipes! And of course sorbet can’t be far behind. Luscious. And what is SENSATIONAL about your macs is that they are perfect!!!! I love ’em and so wonderful with the sorbet. Ah, this month it is you the Queen! xoxo

Tantalizing pictures Deeba i can’t out of here, wat a flavourful combination love!

• What a beautiful sorbet. I’ve never made a strawberry sorbet, I’ll have to try. Never thought of pairing it with macs, either! Great job.

Beautiful macs as always, Deeba! Love the vibrant colors of the generous strawberry filling and mint green. I bet your macarons tasted deliciously refreshing!

• That sure is a gorgeous colored sorbet. Love how you filled the macs with them. Did the combination work?

Hi Deepa,
    Made these and we really loved it… Just posted it on my blog 🙂 Thanks for the recipe…