Baking|Whipped Strawberry Curd Cream Tartlets with Walnut Shortbread Crust – Edible containers for Daring Bakers

“The truth is that life is delicious, horrible, charming, frightful, sweet, bitter, and that is everything.”
Anatole France

Whipped Strawberry Curd Cream Tartlets with Walnut Shortbread CrustI’ve never delayed a Daring Baker challenge this long before, and it gave me palpitations! Seriously, in my 3 years as DB, I’ve usually hit the ground running within the first week. This time around things just don’t seem to want to fall into place. My blog was throttling me, in addition to a million other things {you really don’t want to know, and life goes on!} Well,  I completed the challenge a few hours ago , and happily so!Whipped Strawberry Curd Cream Tartlets with Walnut Shortbread Crust

The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

I didn’t to the maple mousse as authentic maple syrup is very expensive here, and not  easily available. The other bit of the challenge was the edible container. Heavens knows I had thoughts, many edible delicious thoughts, but summer in India is treacherous. With daytime highs already hitting 40C, melting mousses is more the call! My thoughts of sugar cookie boxes, cream rolls, spun sugar, chocolate coffee mugs with an espresso mousse, a pistachio meringue with lemon curd mousse all laid to rest!Whipped Strawberry Curd Cream Tartlets with Walnut Shortbread CrustI liked Evelynes idea of nut bowls, and of course got mighty distracted. I eventually googled my way and found Mollie Katzens Strawberry Meringue Tart with Walnut Shortbread Crust. It looked absolutely gorgeous and I had 2 boxes of strawberries on hand. I was fascinated by the beautiful meringue on topBUT Fast track desserts one day before the posting date = BAD IDEA! Once I got the tart shells baking {walnut shortbread tart shells = edible containers!}, I put the berries to simmer…Whipped Strawberry Curd Cream Tartlets with Walnut Shortbread Crust It was only half way through that I realised I was actually making a strawberry curd, very similar to a pastry cream. It did look deep pink and gorgeous once done, and I happily ladled it into my very delicate edible containers. One word of caution on the tart shells – they are very delicate {and very delicious too!}. Maybe the dough was overly soft as the weather is so warm here. I would probably add another 1/4 cup flour next time around, or would use this walnut shortcrust pastry dough that I used in these Dark Chocolate and Sour Orange Walnut Tartlets. Whipped Strawberry Curd Cream Tartlets with Walnut Shortbread CrusI happily spooned my very cheerful looking strawberry curd into the tart shells and offered a small taster to Mr PAB. He doesn’t mince his words unfortunately, and I hated him when he said it wasn’t the best. I could have strangled him as posting date was around the corner; he looked positively unhappy. He suggested it might taste better after chilling in the fridge for a bit, and I knew this wasn’t looking good! {He said it had a slight eggy flavour. For me, that is just doesn’t work at all!!}Whipped Strawberry Curd Cream Tartlets with Walnut Shortbread CrustTurned the oven off, pushed the whites away; sadly there was going to be no meringue! Off to my beloved kitchen, mind working overtime, I began whipping cream. I would do a whipped strawberry curd cream filling, and all would be well with the world again! In went a dash of sugar {and vanilla bean powder to it as well}, and it was whipped it to medium stiff peaks. I then folded half the strawberry curd into it. I can say I felt much better, and one lick of the spatula told me that the sun was shining again!! Mr PAB gave this version a beamer!

Thank you Evelyne for the delicious challenge.{I’m sorry I couldn’t do the maple mousse}.  Thank you as always Lisa of La Mia Cucina and Ivonne of Cream Puffs in Venice for hosting this fab kitchen!! Do stop by HERE and check out how the stunning creativity of the other Daring Bakers!

[print_this]

Strawberry Meringue Tart with Walnut Shortbread Crust

Whipped Strawberry Curd Cream Tartlets with Walnut Shortbread Crustadapted from Mollie Katzens recipe {for California Walnut Board}
Course: Dessert | Serves: 6 |
CRUST
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour (plus extra for rolling dough)
teaspoon salt
200ml low fat cream, chilled
1 tbsp powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla powder {optional}
Instructions:
For the crust:
Preheat oven to 190C.
Place walnuts plus 2 tablespoons sugar in food processor; process to powder with series of bursts. Add remaining sugar and butter; process 3 minutes more. Add flour and salt; process just until dough holds together.
Press dough into flattened disc {if dough is too soft, chill for 20 minutes in refrigerator}.
Gently press dough into six 3-inch loose bottomed tart pans, or a 9-inch tart pan with removable base; press dough down and ease dough into corners and up sides. Prick dough all over with fork. {Use extra dough to make sides thicker.)
Place sheet of parchment or foil in crust; weigh it down with pie weights or dried beans, and bake in lower third of oven 15 minutes. Remove parchment or foil and pie weights; continue baking crust until deep golden all over {10 to 12 minutes longer}. Cool completely before filling.
For the strawberry curd:
Place strawberries in medium-size saucepan. Without adding any liquid, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes over medium heat until soup-like {watch carefully so not to stick or burn}; set aside.
Meanwhile, in larger saucepan, combine cornstarch or arrowroot, 1/2 cup sugar, salt and lemon zest. Stir in lime juice, whisking until uniform.
Whisk egg yolks with scraped vanilla bean until smooth, then drizzle yolks into cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly. Continue beating mixture and slowly pour in hot strawberries and their liquid.
Place saucepan over medium heat; bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly {but not too fast} with wooden spoon until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool, about 30 minutes.
Assemble:
Whisk cream with sugar and vanilla powder to medium stiff peaks. Fold in the strawberry curd {just half the above quantity, reserve rest for later, else make 1/2 quantity} gently with a spatula.
Spoon into tart shells, and chill for about 2 hours before serving.
[/print_this]

65 Comments

• Mmm strawberry curd sounds amazing and these look so darling!
    Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets´s last blog post ..Guest Post- Grilled Fish in Banana LeafMy Profile

Lol Deeba! Right about the bit of wanting to strangle the hubby when the verdict is not good after a lot of effort or expectation:-) My hubby had once tasted and said ‘I hope you are not going to be putting THIS on your blog’!!

The walnut shortbread crust sounds delish with that so pretty pink cream…When will I dare to be a Daring Baker?? Sigh!!
    Suma´s last blog post ..Moist Chocolate Bundt CakeMy Profile

Deeba, you’re simply amazing. I love your blog. I have bookmarked a few recipes since last year. And this is definitely something I shouldn’t miss. Thanks again for sharing.
    Best regards, Kristy
    kristy´s last blog post ..Penang Coconut Tart CopycatMy Profile

These are the picture of pretty spring. Lovely little tarts filled with my favorite berry of the season. It doesn’t get better than that. 😉

So great that you easily turned it from something your hubs wasn’t crazy about to something fabulous. They look so fresh and delicious!
    Barbara Bakes´s last blog post ..Dan Lepard Garlic BreadMy Profile

Awesome work! Your photos always look so professional! I love them :) I totally understand your feelings when your hubby said it wasn’t the best. It has happened to me many times 😀 Nevertheless, it looks absolutely stunning and I think I’d love it!

Hope you are out with the blogging issues bothering you..missing you on Twitter for long. The tiny Tartlets look cute and lovely.
    Sanjeeta kk´s last blog post ..Mango &amp Banana Bread – Season’ First Mango BakeMy Profile

AS always a delightful treat full of fresh summery feeling. Love this!
    Meeta´s last blog post ..Riesling Risotto with Leek and BaconMy Profile

• I love everything about these tarts: the crust, the curd, the meringue… yum!
    Miriam/The Winter Guest´s last blog post ..Torrijas- a Spanish Easter treatMy Profile

This looks wickedly good !!!

Love your tartlets and stunning photografy!
    vanillla´s last blog post ..THE DARING BAKERS’ APRIL 2011 CHALLENGE- MAPLE MOUSSE SERVED IN AN EDIBLE CONTAINERMy Profile

Those tartlets are simply amazing,gorgeous and prefect for me, loved the strawberry curd filling..
    Priya´s last blog post ..Mixed Veggies Toordal Stir fryMW VersionMy Profile

Very beautiful! I would love to eat that now!
    Lea´s last blog post ..Mac Attack 18- Dark Chocolate-Espresso MacaronsMy Profile

Lovely interpretation to the challenge, Deeba! You always have a great solution to whatever gets on your way. Both look delicious to me! Thanks for your lovely comment on mine.
    Renata´s last blog post ..FELIZ PÁSCOA!! – HAPPY EASTER!!My Profile

these look outstanding! The strawberry curd in that tart case would just dance around in my mouth. Fabulous photos!
    tinytearoom´s last blog post ..Mini Sticky Date Loaf with Golden Syrup ButterMy Profile

Those tartlets are mouthwatering!
    Cherine´s last blog post ..Banana and raspberry cakeMy Profile

Sensational as always. They way you use strawberries in your recipe or for garnishing I feel a book on strawberry desserts is in order.

Best Regards,
    Anita
    Anita Menon´s last blog post ..For CSAawareness- Coping and Moving OnMy Profile

• Cakelaw

Hi Deeba, your tarts look so pretty! Strawberry curd sounds like a terrific filling, and one that I have never tried before.

This looks delicious Deeba! I do love your strawberry version. It’s strawberry season here in the states, so this is a perfect substitution. Glad you were finally able to get the flavor right. Congrats on a successful challenge!

Sorry that the first taste didn’t go over so well, but glad that it worked out well in the end! And your photos are fantastic – so beautiful and the color is awesome. Strawberry in a nut tart shell sounds AMAZINGLY delicious. Sorry you couldn’t do the maple (TOTALLY understandable!), but your creation came out wonderfully. Great job!
    Shelley C´s last blog post ..April Daring Bakers Challenge – Maple Mousse in an Edible ContainerMy Profile

Deeba, what gorgeous, delectable tarts!!! LOVE these flavors…and your lovely photos have me very hungry :) Excellent job on the challenge~
    Liz´s last blog post ..Oatmeal Cookies with Dried CherriesMy Profile

The strawberry curd sounds delicious and great job transforming it into the perfect filling. The whipped cream and strawberry curd mixture sounds heavenly! The nut crusts look great too. I made something similar last weekend but with pistachio crusts.
    lisaiscooking´s last blog post ..Stuffed Poblanos in Chipotle SauceMy Profile

That Strawberry Curd sounds and looks delicious!! So many uses I can think for it….. Well done – looks like a great success!!

WOW I love your tarts! they look so delicious and delicate and your photos are wonderful!
    Andrea´s last blog post ..The Daring Bakers’ April 2011 challenge- Maple mousse served in an edible containerMy Profile

These look just stunning! I don’t even like strawberries, but trust me, I’d eat these! xx.
    Jessica´s last blog post ..shortbread and maple mousse tartlets with honeyed rhubarbMy Profile

Lovely presentation of edible containers…
    Super nice post… despite being last minute…. love the flavours you do :)

The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts – Nachiketa
    Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

What divine little tartlets! I really like the idea and that flavor combo. Wonderful, as always.

What gorgeous dessert! These are perfect!
    Maris (In Good Taste)´s last blog post ..Curtis Stone’s Top Tips for Wholesome CookingMy Profile

Your photos are breathtakingly beautiful. So stunning! And your tartlets sound delicious! Perfect for spring.
    Ashlae´s last blog post ..Daring Bakers – April ChallengeMy Profile

• Hearing Aid Info

That recipe looks wonderful!! I can’t wait to give it a try.
    Hearing Aid Info´s last blog post ..What Are the Different Types of Hearing AidsMy Profile

• Tried making strawberry curd this weekend and totally failed. Yours looks delicious and your recipe looks right on! Can’t wait to try it.

elegant
    bobbie
    bobbie2bobbiesbakingblog.com
    Bobbie Noto´s last blog post ..Mother’s Day Shortbread- Edible Serving No Dish Washing!My Profile

Thank you for visiting my very humble blog. Your photos are so beautiful, particularly the shots of your strawberry curd, which has an incredible freshness of colour. I would love to try to make that walnut crust but sadly my main taster has a nut allergy so I have to play safe.

Even at the last minute you pull off a stunner like this Deeba! Bravo, lady, bravo! Love the sound of strawberry curd :)
    shaz´s last blog post ..This post may contain sweetness DB AprilMy Profile

I came back for your mascarpone recipe and saw this new post. What a beautiful job on this month’s challenge :-). And frankly, I think that strawberry filling is a much better fit for these edible containers than maple 😉
    cooking rookie´s last blog post ..Maple Mousse in Walnut CupsMy Profile

Sounds so refreshing. The whipped cream with the curd must have made it taste like cloud! Well done. Best, Sandie

I have to try this strawberry curd…. It is vivid red and is calling for full attention. And I am sure combining this curd with whipped cream will result in a heavenly delicious cream. A great companion for the walnut shortbread crust!

Beautiful shots as always :-)

Hola
    realmente extraГ±amente
    Kicker

That looks wonderful. I love that you made a strawberry curd.
    Joy´s last blog post ..Kulinarya – Sapin SapinMy Profile

Nice summery dessert, what a great daring baker challenge. Never thought about a strawberry curd before!

These tartlets are just precious. I don’t know if I could bring myself to eat them – they’re so cute. Great post and blog!!

Take care,
    — Chelsey

Oh my, I can almost taste the deliciousness from hear. My goodness, isn’t it my dinner time already??? I am starving now.
    *kisses* HH

Hi Deeba,

I am recently more and more amazed with your blog – it has so many wonderful recipes, useful tips and inspriational photography! I could live on this site :-).
    So I am very honored to pass on to you some food blog awards that I’ve received last week http://cookingrookie.blogspot.com/2011/04/passing-on-food-blog-awards.html

Thanks so much for this blog!

p.s. by the way, I’ve made mascarpone following your recipe – it is SOOOO good. I’ve tried a couple of times before and it has been too sour. This one is so light and perfect! Thanks :-)
    cooking rookie´s last blog post ..Passing on Food Blog AwardsMy Profile

They look beautiful and that pastry crumb looks divine, stunning photos as usual to tempt and make us drool!
    Alli´s last blog post ..Chocolate Chestnut CakeMy Profile

Absolutely beautiful, Deeba! Love the idea of strawberry curd.
    Barbara´s last blog post ..A Lovely Potato and Asparagus TartMy Profile

Your tartlets looks absolutely delicious! I’m just waiting for a first fresh strawberries from my garden and I think I will try the recipe :) Beautiful photos!
    Komarka´s last blog post ..Galaretka fiołkowaMy Profile

Deeba, there we go! Printed! Gosh, I have a pile by my computer that I’ve been wanting to try. This is a MUST! I can’t express how much I love it! You are totally killing me with your photography shots! I want to work for you! You are FAB, FAB, FABULOUS!
    Rylan Ty´s last blog post ..Desert GardeningMy Profile

Greetings I am always on the look out for ways to become healthier, I appreciate your article! This is actually really good advice!

• Erika

This looks beautiful. I can’t wait to try.

Gorgeous as always!
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Colours of SummerMy Profile

your pictures are absolutely breathtaking! beautiful job!

• Lovely! Even without the maple syrup, you pulled together a spectacular dessert.
    Sasha (Global Table Adventure)´s last blog post ..About the food of GreeceMy Profile

• Dee this looks fabulous. I’m always in awe of your creations.
    Kulsum at JourneyKitchen´s last blog post ..Fire Roasted Tomato ChutneyMy Profile

OMG, what a feast for the eyes
    Jennifurla´s last blog post ..Peach Filled Champagne CupcakesMy Profile

• I don’t know if I’m daring enough to try making these, but I am definitely not afraid to eat one!

• rashmi

‘wow’ ………….said hubby after he tasted it!!!the tart shell is to die for….yum yum…soglad that ive saved 2 for tmmrw ;)…. tnks D for posting it