Baking| Whole Wheat & Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies … better late than never!

“Maybe now I`ll be able to have a couple of extra cookies or ice cream after dinner without feeling so guilty. Or, without my wife yelling at me.”
David Larsen

Whole Wheat & Oat Chocolate Chip CookiesEvery new year begins with indulgence as the daughters birthday is on the 2nd of Jan! We enjoy this guilty pleasure {’twas Chocolate Orange Almond Gateau this year}. Predictably, the next day I’m hit by New Year guilt pangs. It’s time to think everything on a healthier note, especially to give the year a good beginning blah blah blah…Whole Wheat & Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies High on my list is plain flour substitutes,  as in my mind ‘plain flour = empty calories’. Extended vacations with growing kids means 24 X 7 Cookie Monsters, A L W A Y S    H U N G R Y! For me healthy doesn’t necessarily mean knocking the butter out of the cookies during winter … butter has important work to do in this incessant cold weather we are braving.Whole Wheat & Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies

The primary difference between different types of flour are the quantity of the wheat germ and bran that are milled with the flour, and the type of wheat used for the flour, and the relative protein content of that wheat.  Whole wheat flour is simply wheat that has been milled into flour with some, or all, of the germ and bran still attached.  Additionally, different varieties of wheat contain different amounts of protein, and the more protein is contained in the flour, the higher gluten it has. {}

India is traditionally a country where whole wheat flour {aata} is found in virtually every home, and freshly made whole wheat flat breads {rotis, chapatis, parathas etc} often accompany main meals. Until a few years ago, the use of plain flour was limited to cakes, biscuits etc. Unfortunately that is changing as people fall for the disguised charm that plain flour offers, deceptively increasing the luxury in our daily bread, yet sacrificing important proteins in the process.Whole Wheat & Oat Chocolate Chip CookiesThankfully though, there are an equal number of adventurous foodies who try to experiment with whole grains. I am one of the latter though I do tend to keep on middle ground; a little bit of plain and a little of whole grain. Other than whole wheat, I often try including buckwheat and oat in my bakes. Quinoa is one whole grain I would love to try, but the price is exorbitantly high as it is an import from South America. So my oft used alternate  is oats which are extremely nutritious, containing more protein and unsaturated fat than any other cereal grain.

Whole Grains are Much More than Fibre
Whole grains contain all three parts of the grain kernel – the germ, endosperm and bran. Most often during the milling process the bran and germ are removed leaving only the endosperm. This results in refined grains. However, whole grains contain all three parts of the grain – this makes them a richer source of fibre, vitamins and minerals.

Whole Wheat & Oat Chocolate Chip CookiesOats : The Super Whole Grain
Oats have more protein, calcium and Vitamin E than other common unfortified whole grains (wheat, brown rice or whole corn grain) on a gram per gram basis. Only oats have a high amount of soluble fibre (beta glucan) compared to whole wheat or rice. {
Source: Quaker Oats}.

Whole Grains are Much More than Fibre

With all these inspired thoughts in my head, I set off to make cookies, or rather chocolate chip cookies for a healthier 2011! I made a small batch as I consciously stayed away from plain flour and knew not where I was headed. The resultant cookies were a shock to my system, and I now wonder why I even bothered to look at plain flour in my chocolate chip cookies for so many years. I have always included some whole wheat by default, but was taken aback to see that using whole grains alone still gave them a fabulous texture, and handsome bite.Whole Wheat & Oat Chocolate Chip CookiesTry these, they’re worth every bite even though they don’t look very pretty. The cookie mightn’t be as indulgent as a plain flour smooth cookie if thats what you make. For me, the transition from part whole wheat to whole whole wheat was like I had won the first prize; including oats and demerera sugar giving me the runners up too. I must admit I used my precious stash of Ghirardeli dark chocolate chips in hope that the Ghirardeli would make up for loss of flavour and quintessential chocolate-chip cookie indulgence. I was soon to eat humble pie because they just added to an already delicious cookie.With this new cookie under my belt, 2011 began to feel better already almost! To prove me otherwise, the pre-teen & the teen hit the kitchen this afternoon, shrugging off the cold, and indulged in piling the calories onto my so called healthy cookies. The daughter made delicious ‘Cookies & Cream Strawberry Sundaes‘ for themselves {low fat cream being small consolation}; the son playing the loyal slave. He knew he wouldn’t get a crumb if he displeased his elder sibling; even then wasn’t ‘allowed’ as much as a lick of cream off the spatula!!Cookies & Cream Strawberry SundaeSo much so for my inspired beginning … thankfully this was just 4 cookies. The rest retained their ‘healthy’ status!!

Divine! I cannot resist oatmeal cookies.

• sumitra

This recipe looks wonderful! Will have to try it soon. And the cookies look pretty too, actually. Feel like grabbing one right off the page!
    sumitra´s last blog post ..Meet the Crew! Episode 1- Measuring Tools for BakingMy Profile

Such a healthy and inspiring recipe Deeba. Combination of al ingredients simply making this cookies irresistible. Well done !
    elra´s last blog post ..Whole Grain Anadama BreadMy Profile

They does look very pretty and yummy.
    Umm Mymoonah´s last blog post ..Stuffed Vine LeavesMy Profile

You won’t believe it, I have been searching for an oatmeal and whole wheat cookie recipe and I get one today and from you Deeba!! Thanks a ton, these look just delicious !!

Enjoyed reading the part about your kids, can very well relate to it:))
    suma´s last blog post ..Tiramisu Cake – Happy Birthday Cakes And More!My Profile

• I have to admit that I’ve never really made an effort to bake with grains. It is these last few months that I’m taking notice of recipes that include the “better” types of flour and different grains. This recipe sounds like one that should be in a baker’s repertoire; a healthier chocolate chip cookie.
    Thanks for this Deeba and by the way, these cookies don’t look at all ugly to me :)
    My Little Expat Kitchen´s last blog post ..Say cheeseMy Profile

Lovely looking plump cookies… can I have some ?

• sumi

Slendid cookies, Especially I love those with the eyes..:)

The cookies look absolutely delectable deeba. Just toooo good :)

This looks like a texture I would really enjoy
    Jennifurla´s last blog post ..Baking Whole Wheat &amp Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies … better late than never!My Profile

• Helene

Oh my that is a great cookie. I should experiment more with whole food. Have a great day! Cheers!
    Helene´s last blog post ..Mexican Salad with Honey-Lime DressingMy Profile

Dear Deeba these cookies are georgeous!! I love pics! huggs.gñproa xoxoxox
    Gloria´s last blog post ..Cherry and ricotta TartMy Profile

Scrumptious and absolutely tempting cookies..feel like munching some..
    Priya´s last blog post ..Salad Shirazi – Persian-Iranian Cucumber &amp Tomato SaladMy Profile

Hallo Deeba. Like you, I always assumed that at best a wholewheat version of something will be a close second, but I’m intrigued that you feel they were better than the original. Definitely worth a try, thanks very much.
    Adele´s last blog post ..Mollys Chocolate CakeMy Profile

Helena´s last blog post ..Healthy Vegan MuffinsMy Profile

Wonderful healthy start for the day..looks super yumm and lovely texture.

wow…crunchy cookies….luvd ur clicks…:))
    hasna´s last blog post ..KFC Kachuss Fried ChickenMy Profile

• Yogalili

Made these straight away and even threw in some quinoa. GIRL! These are soooo addictive. Loved them. Awesome…as always!
    Big Hugs!

Gosh Lili girl…Happy New Year. It’s been LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG, and I’ve missed you. Sorry I’ve been MIA on twitter which is why I haven’t seen you. Lady after my heart … one day I shall throw in some quinoa too! Much love. xo

• Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog

Nothing like a hot chocolate chip cookie just out of the oven!
    Addition of quinoa is good too but expensive!

Look forward to sampling for myself :)

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog´s last blog post ..Essential Vitamins for Good VisionMy Profile

• Nita

Deeba, I call this a perfect cookie!! Just the recipe I was looking for with wheat, oats and chocolate. My 4 year old is gonna love it. Cant wait to make it. Thanks for posting.

Most definitely a wonderful way to start of the new year, on a sweet note. :)
    My belated birthday wishes to Mahek.

• Tahemeem

Love the cookies… and the presentation :)
    i can believe they are so healthy :)

Beautiful presentation Deeba, and the cookies sound heavenly too :)
    Anna Johnston´s last blog post ..TROPICAL FRUIT PAVLOVA BURGERSMy Profile

These are very much my kind of cookies and even more Soeren’s kinds of cookie! We like our cookies chunky and full of flavor so definitely going to be trying these!

• veenaAravind

I was looking for some nice bakes using wheat flour.This looks delicious. And it does look good to me ,like the coconut cookies .would be trying very soon!

Very inspiring post to try all these grains. I must say I’m WHEATAPHOBIC but you make it sound so delicious. I might even try it. And how could you think these cookies don’t look pretty. They look beautiful!
    Sukaina´s last blog post ..Pear and Almond CakeMy Profile

• With whole wheat flour, oats, dark chocolate and nuts, these cookies should be considered health food! At least that’s what I’ll be telling myself while I eat them :-)
    Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen´s last blog post inspiration tools of the tradeMy Profile

These look divine, though 1/2 cup butter sounds scary, I would surely give this a shot :)

Ah! now I have always been looking for an interesting way to make my lil girl eat oats…this looks good =) thanks for sharing!
    Mj@cardamomhills´s last blog post ..RED MEAT CURRY – LAL MAAS- “RAJASTHANs ROYAL LAMB CURRY”My Profile

Whole wheat is a great match for chocolate chip cookies! I’m planning to bake with more varied grains this year too.
    lisaiscooking´s last blog post ..Flax and Sunflower Seed Whole Wheat BreadMy Profile

Very nice cookies. I might even try it.
    Jagna´s last blog post ..CHLEB MIESZANY NA ZAKWASACH DWÓCHMy Profile

Healthier, yet delicious. What a combination! I’m trying this recipe to fight my holiday guilt. hehe.
    Ben´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday- That’s a deal!My Profile

• abha

Hi! Deeba, I’m all set to try my hand on these healthy cookies.
    At the same time i’m wondering where did you miss your CHOCOCHIP CINNAMON BISCUITS and CHOCOLATES MERINGUES ,both from Le Cordon Bleu’s Chocolate Bible.
    Since they look superb do post them soon.

• lavi

can i omit eggs???
    i dont eat eggs but want to make these…
    and just wanted to make sure…it is aata that you used here…right?

The comprehensive information about whole grains and oats is really interesting. I find plain flour increasingly boring to eat anyway and I’m trying to convert my family. My teen and pre-teen will love these cookies too (without the walnuts but maybe almonds).
    Sally´s last blog post ..World travel- a confession and a mango smoothieMy Profile

Nice cookies Deeba…will try these soon as I am also trying to bake everything a healthier way by adding wheat flore, oats and soya etc… so this is a perfect cookie to try:)…
    Swapna´s last blog post ..Kappalanga – Omakka Thoran Stir Fried Raw Papaya with CoconutMy Profile

• Sumana

Thanks for the wonderful recipe. I tried the recipe as soon as I read it. The cookies are delicious!

I chuckled when I saw you called the cookies “handsome.” I love those kinds of descriptions. They do look rather handsome, even a little stocky, if you ask me, and I agree that I’d prefer a little healthier treat this time of year. The whole wheat is a big thumbs up.
    Irina@PastryPal´s last blog post ..Extra yolks Extra whitesMy Profile

• penny aka jeroxie

It has been awhile since I’ve made any oatmeal cookies. I love them :)
    penny aka jeroxie´s last blog post ..Queensland flood – Please help in any way you canMy Profile

Love those plump healthy cookies and the quick dessert you whipped with them. This surely is a recipe for keeps.
    Sanjeeta kk´s last blog post ..Party Menu- Planner for the Big DayMy Profile

• Zeenat

Hi Deeba,

You’ve built an amazing blog!!!!! I keep visiting it regularly. Have been pottering about the blog and had decided to go through your archives. Most of the stuff gives an error message. Just thought you should know…

Hi Zeenat, Thank you for stopping by, and taking the time to let me know. This prolem has manifested ever since I switched over to WP. Don’t know how to solve it, but am trying to build the Recipe Index with each link {it’s taking time though...}
      Take care

oh wow that looks so divine and wish to grab few of those, i adore the shape uniformity :)
    Ananda Rajashekar´s last blog post ..Inherited recipe – Okra curry – Okra soup kolambuMy Profile

Seriously, the hardest part of school vacations is hearing, “what can I eat now, Mama?” This is a wonderful recipe! I love how creative you are and your photos? Perfection.

WHat a great idea to use different flours. The cookies look delicious and satisfying. The sundaes look pretty tasty too!

These cookies are the ones I need to make next time a chocolate/sweet pang hits; I love the use of oats and whole wheat flour which makes the cookies taste earthy and rustic. Perfect recipe.
    tasteofbeirut´s last blog post ..Beoreg stuffed with onion and cheeseMy Profile

Exactly what I needed – I was about to start browsing for a whole-wheat chocolate chip cookie recipe & noticed your post in my google reader. How could I have missed it before! I cannot wait to try these out & will probably get to them in an hour or so!
    Grapefruit´s last blog post ..Baking With Dorie- Apple Coconut Family CakeMy Profile

• indrani

Hello Mrs. Deeba,
    loved the recipe from the start and even more after baking and eating them… they were a hit with my family and neighbours. will surely make them again. thank you so much for the wonderful recipe.
    warm regards,

• Deeps

Hi Deeba, I found your blog a couple of weeks ago and made these cookies. They were amazing. The whole wheat and oats combination had me convincing myself that these were really very healthy cookies and I ate far too many, but who cares?! Thanks for the recipe. All your creations look wonderful. I am fan!

and once again Im bowled over..they were great!! thanks a ton for yet another great recipe.I just posted these on my blog…
    sheba´s last blog post ..Elliott Hall – The First StoneMy Profile

Already told you on FB some time back that I made these cookies and now just posted it on my blog… thanks for this wonderful recipe Deeba… already baked 4 times :)….
    Swapna´s last blog post ..Whole Wheat &amp Oat Raisin CookiesMy Profile

HI Deeba
    first time here, its amazing ! I may take years to be like you when it comes to baking,
    I tried these lovely cookies with little alterations(no options for me).
    My kids loved the cookies and these will be in my regular menu from now.
    Nivedita´s last blog post ..Whole wheat -Oat & Chocolate CookiesT&TMy Profile

hi Deeba,

So thrilled to come across your blog – been looking for a whole wheat baking recipe to try out, and these cookies are definitely going to be it :) !!

Your food photography is also so beautiful, you’re an inspiration for occasional bakers like me to experiment with new stuff.

Aparna´s last blog post ..Thursday Challenge – 3My Profile

• Prabs

These cookies turned out brilliantly! Such an easy yet tasty one. A sure keeper. Thank you!

• Naziya

a cookie that i have been baking again and again n will continue doing… wholewheat and oats, healthiest n yummy too. my 2 1/2 yr old son is a very picky eater n he loves this cookie so much that i bake n store them for his hunger strike days 😀 thanks for sharing this healthy cookie recipe

• Jyoti

I made these cookies today. Just loved them. Falling in love with ur blog. Have tried couple of recipes and all of them turned out very well and i am always in the lookout for healthy recipes, which i found in your blog. thank you

• Prachi Mishra
    7 months ago

I was on a look out for this recipe. I wanted to bake whole wheat and oat cookies with choco chips for ling. I landed on your website through a friends blog who is a baking expert. I tried this recipe as is minus the walnuts, as they were missing in my pantry. The cookies came out absolutely gorgeous. They are super scrumptious. And as I write this to you I am having one with my fav green tea. Thank you for the post and I am going to try you 100% whole wheat bread next.

• 7 months ago

Thank you Prachi for stopping by, baking for PAB, AND taking the time to write back. Have a great day!