{Frozen Dessert/No Bake} FRESH CHERRY FRO YO

“My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it’s on your plate – that’s my philosophy”
Thornton Wilder
He said this is what helped him survive his recent illness. He said that if it were not for this delightful fro yo, he couldn’t have pulled through the last few days of work under the hot sun, on a melting tarmac in temperatures hovering in the mid 40C’s! Yes indeed, Mr PAB gave it a huge thumbs up. However, he left me flummoxed at the thought that someone feeling so ill could even ask for fro yo, and then enjoy it! He could and he did!! The rest of us did too, but we were in the pink of good health! This cheerful frozen dessert is a great way to beat summer …
My love for fruit in desserts, the recent bounty of stone fruit holds me mesmerized, often compelling me to try different recipes, conjuring them up in my mind. There is not much that can go wrong with frozen desserts. If you get the balance of fruit and sugar right, IMHO, the rest pretty much falls into place. This fro yo happened because some home made yogurt I set, well almost 2 kilos of it, were rejected by the lad who didn’t like the taste. I think I left it a tad longer than I should have, so it wasn’t sweet as he likes it. Known not to waste anything, I lost no time in setting it off to drain it in the fridge overnight, it’s fate to be decided the next day. The bowl found it’s place next to a small crate of cherries in the fridge; it’s fate was sealed! Both were jostling for space in my shelf for perishables and were destined to be partners!
I set about pitting and simmering the cherries, thinking I might make some more brandied cherries but the mind had the draining yogurt in the back of it. Had a few thoughts, which turned into actions pretty soon, and before I knew it we had cherry fro yo being packed off to set in the freezer! Like I said, cherries and yogurt were destined to be together … in the freezer too! The result, after many whisks by the faithful greased elbow, was a delicious frozen yogurt, nudged gently into slight luxury with the addition of some low fat cream.
You might have seen these little cups in my recent post on Props for food photography. I picked up an assortment of these on our recent trip to Gangtok. North Indian hill stations are known for their bone china and ceramic pottery, a large part of which comes across the border from China. Popular items include single serving tea mugs, sauce and soup bowls, and most shops offer the same fare,. I could spend all day in these beautiful shops stacked to the roof with trivia, but the family would revolt! {Hill station is a term used for a town usually at somewhat higher elevations. The term was used in colonial Asia (particularly India, but also in Africa albeit rarely), where towns have been founded by European colonial rulers up where temperatures are cooler, as refuges from the summer heat.}

1 1/4 cups hung yogurt {from 1.5ltrs of home set yogurt; drained overnight}
600gms fresh cherries {pitted}
1/2 cup sugar {adjust to taste}
400ml low fat cream {I used 25% Amul cream}
3-4 tbsp cherry brandy liqueur/ kirsch {optional}
1/2 cup powdered sugar {adjust if required}
1 tbsp vodka {optional}
Pit the cherries and simmer them with the granulated sugar for 5-7 minutes till just soft. Drain the cherries, add the liqueur, and leave them to cool. Reduce the liquid till like a thick syrup. Cool. Reserve a few whole cherries if you wish to add some to the fro yo for texture. Run the remaining cherries and syrup till smooth. {This can be done a day in advance and chilled in the fridge for a day or two.
Roughly chop the whole reserved cherries.
Whip the hung yogurt, cream, powdered sugar, blended cherries & vodka {if using} till mixed uniformly. Fold in the chopped cherries, and transfer the blend to freezer container if you don’t have an ice cream maker. Whisk well every hour, five to six times over, to break down and distribute the crystals. Leave to set for 6-8 hours, better overnight.
Serve with fresh cherries if desired!

• Anh

Very nice, Vindee! It's cold here but I won't mind this! So pretty, and I love that it's quite healthy with yoghurt base!

• Gloria

Deeba I love Cherries and fruits and your desserts are always awesome, this look nice and yummy, huggs xoxox gloria

• Joy

Send me some! :) I had fruit fro yo on my mind for the weekend, but my parents forgot to get me my fave Greek yogurt brand that I always use for my fro yo. And now, woe, I'm in fro you envy! This looks so incredibly delicious and I wouldn't doubt its power to pull one through illness. Even the photos were enough to make me smile. They're stunning as ever.

• VeggieWiz

I just made some cherry fro-yo last week with vodka! It's my summer fave now!

But I couldn't get that beautiful pink color that u have here! Any tips/tricks for that?

• Rosa's Yummy Yums

What a delightful frozen yogurt! Perfect for now with the heat that we are having…

• Marcellina

How delicious! This looks so appealing! Yes, I think it has all the makings of get well frozen yogurt. I'd be happy to be sick if this is what I got to eat! YUM!

• Nithya

Simply yummy :)

• debug

Ah deeba at 23C I love making frozen fruit lollies with yoghurt,mascarpone or plain fruits..can imagine Mr PAB loving fro yo..at 40C I am sure you'd love anything frozen…really like the flavors and yr props 😉

• Nags

the pics are so gorgeous!! :)

• bellini valli

A few weeks ago I made a strawberry version of frozen yogurt. It will cure everything:D

• Foodessa

This frozen treat must be fantastic with those cherries. For now, I contented myself with the very sweet strawberry which I made a few days ago…and not much is left either.

Adorable props to show off your dessert;o)

Ciao for now and flabourful wishes,

• Jessica @ How Sweet

Love cherries so much – this sounds delicious and is so beautiful!

• penny aka jeroxie

How beautiful! And love the bowl that it sits on.

• shaz

Such beautiful bowls and grogeous fro yo. LOved yor props post too, Deeba. Thank you for a little burst of summer during a very chilly winter's evening ")

• Jamie

What perfect ice cream! Gorgeous, smooth and beautiful cherry red. Ok, fro yo, but it's ice cream to me! And how I love cherries! Deeba, I love it. And glad Mr. Man got over the illness. Thanks to a darling wife!

• Cool Lassi(e)

Awesome summer soother. Love the cups. I was away and missed your previous post.Will check out when my son naps. It will give me an idea what to stock for props. Ciao!

• Barbara

What gorgeous photos, Deeba, of a marvelous frozen cherry yogurt dessert! I love cherries too…

• Asha @ FSK

ah! lovely crisp photos!! Love the bowls.. very Chinese looking and go so well with the frozen delight. Speaking of which I could really really dig into a bowl of it right now!! It's boiling out here :O

• Joy

Great recipe. I have never tried to use any alcohol when I made ice cream. That is a must try.

• Natalie...

oh yum this osunds so refreshing!! i ould love to try this!

• Amanda

Deeba, did you use sweet or sour cherries? I'm guessing sweet. These photos are phenomenal as usual!

• hsunamisweets

Great photos! I really like the artistic quality in each one. The frozen yogurt sounds amazing as well.

• Chetana Suvarna Ganatra

Dear Deeba,
    Hv been a fan of ur blog since sumtime now, but was always clumsy not to leave any comment…feel really aweful.
    Luv ur shots and also the way u use ur props soo appropriately. It takes these pics to a diff level.
    Tis is such a good recipe…frozen yogurt…m drooling all over..n de addition of vodka is jus too much..
    BTW a cook (although a qualified chef), a columnist and a blogger fm down under.

• suma

What a treat, for the eyes and the palate!!

• Sarah, Maison Cupcake

I thought I'd commented on this already but can't see it here… cherry fro yo sounds wonderful, I could do with some now! I've made cherry sorbet several times (with rose wine, yum) but never managed frozen yogurt. Sounds divine for a summer's evening!

• oneordinaryday

What an absolutely stunning group of photos! And I really like that quote too! : )

• Magic of Spice

This is just so perfect for summer! Love the photos:)

• The Urban Baker

yummy + gorgeous images!

• RamblingTart

Ah Deeba, this is beautiful!! I love your inspiration story and your pretty little bowls. :-) Don't nice dishes make even the simple dishes so special? :-)

• Kitchen Butterfly

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a prop fetish!!!!!!! These bowls look lovely and so does this wonderfood dessert that nursed a grown man back to health. Superb photos Deeba!

• Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog

Glorious and colorful post! The cherry frozen yogurt looks absolutely outstanding, wonderful tasty photos as always :)

• bunkycooks

Another beautiful post! We really enjoy the lower fat versions of frozen yogurt and I am sure yours is delightful. Hope your hubby is felling better.

• Theresa

Your cherry frozen yogurt looks and sounds fantastic! And probably healthier than my cherry ice cream :)

• Arwen from Hoglet K

That looks lovely! Here I am in the Northern Hemisphere in cherry season, while my icecream machine is in the Southern Hemisphere. Bad planning!

• Soma

LOVE IT!! enticing pictures Deeba. love the pink & the blue.

• Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]

Ahh yummy!! Even though it's raining heavily, and quite pleasant, I'd LOVE to have a tubful of this 😛

• Fahrenheit 350°

Oh my heavens! That looks so delicious! Our little farmers market was selling two pounds of fresh picked cherries for $5 and now I know what I will be doing with them!

ooooooo yummmm…

• Wendy

Beautiful bowls! Your food presentation is a delight and makes us all want to rush right out and make your recipe!
    Wendy´s last blog post ..Degree CareersMy Profile