{Baking} Stone Fruit Almond Crumble … baking in the midst of rubble, and LOVING it!!

“Mind like a sieve these days and the attention span of a flea!!”
Jeanne Horak @ Cooksister

I love the quote above. Words from Jeanne @ CookSister in emails being exchanged a couple of days ago, much of it nonsensical light banter. It coined the way I felt, and I was absolutely taken in by the rhythm of the words! My foodie world has been thrown into disarray and I often feel at odds. It’s a world of rubble, heat and dust, the odd shower thrown in, which adds to humidity. There is SO MUCH on the mind, and the additional want to ‘blog & tweet‘ doesn’t help…

The kitchen is under the hammer, literally, being broken down with hammers and chisels for a much needed face lift. It’s like a scene out of a war zone and fine dust settles like a shroud  everywhere, eerily concealing everything underneath. It was a revelation to hear from Ken that a lot of old places in New York still have concrete kitchens like ours! Made me feel better instantly, though getting any work done in India is a whole new ball game. The workers each have a mind of their own, are mostly uneducated but technically superior at what they do, AND enjoy endless chai breaks!
In the midst of the rubble and ‘war like’ home zone, stone fruits still tempt me into buying them when I go intending to pick up basic food supplies to tide over these busy days. Just before work began, a week ago, I had bought a box of cherries and some dark red plums optimistically thinking of making this rice pudding I saw at Tartlette! Unrealistic me; must have been dreaming …
Didn’t get much further than roasting the fruit, and then ran out of time and quickly bundled it off into the fridge. There was a kitchen to be emptied, fridges to be moved etc, and I knew that once cooked, the fruit would keep safe for a bit, and importantly, not torment me. They kept beautifully, and when I saw the Double Cherry Almond Crumble on TasteSpotting, I knew instantly that was where my fruit would go. My love for stone fruit in desserts had found a plan …
It’s a delicious take on the crumble. I loved the topping which incorporated almonds and added loads to the flavour. I couldn’t locate my almond essence in the mess, but am sure it would have added to the ooomph! The crumble was fabulous and a real treat for the family, given that the boy looks longingly at the incomplete work, ruing the fact that dessert days have gone! He was thrilled to see the little ramekins coming their way! I served them with a teeny dollop of unsweetened cream. Nothing like a stone fruit laden crumble…NOTHING!!

Stone Fruit Almond Crumble
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, chilled
1 tbsp milk

For the filling:

Prepare the cherries and plums:
Adapted from Tartlette
Preheat the oven to 200C.
With the tip of a knife, slice the half vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into a small dish or ramekin. Add the sugar and mix with your fingertips until the vanilla bean seeds are well distributed.
Place the cherries and plums in a baking dish and sprinkle the vanilla sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until juicy. Let cool.

For the Crumble:
Preheat oven to 180C.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cherries plum compote, peaches, lime juice, sugar and cornstarch. Stir until sugar and cornstarch are dissolved. Set aside.
In a food processor, combine flour,almonds and sugar and whiz in brief spells until the almonds are ground. Add the butter and process briefly until loose and crumbly. Add milk and stir until the dough just comes together
Pour the fruit mixture into individual ramekins {or an 8×8 baking dish}. Pinch off small pieces of dough, and place on fruit mixture to more-or-less cover the fruit.
Bake the crumble in preheated oven for 20-25minutes {40-45 minutes for 1 large serving}, or until filling is bubbly and topping is crisp and golden.

To quote the ‘Bad Girl‘ on the her recipe… Depending on your mood, the crumble can be served warm or at room temperature. If you’re in a particularly indulgent mood, serve warm crumble a-la-mode with a scoop of good-quality vanilla ice cream. It was wonderful with a dollop of unsweetened low fat cream too!

Don’t miss a post Also find me on The Rabid Baker, The Times of India

Comments

1. megha says:

wow looks yummy.keep it up.do visit and comment on my food blog too and become a follower of my blog if u like my food blog.my blog is meghasyummyfooddelight.blogspot.com

2. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

What lovely setting! Those shots are so atmospheric and that crumble is magnificent!

3. Happy Cook says:

I love the new look of your place.
    Bow you will have a new blog and a new kitchen. I want to have a big kitchen tahn my tiny kithcen.
    Delicous looking crumble, i have not baked for a month can you believe that.

4. Deeba the crumble surely looks delicious but hats off to ur aesthetic sense dear.

5. Janice says:

Gorgeous looking fruit crumble.

6. Jennifer says:

Lovely photos and such a great summer dessert!

7. bunkycooks says:

You are under attack and you still make beautiful desserts! That is truly inspiring.

8. The Cooking Photographer says:

Deeba having a kitchen torn to pieces is maddening! Your disaster zone photographs so much better than mine though. I hope you get through this soon.

Your photographs are as always, absolutely beautiful!!!

Laura

9. Mark @ Cafe Campana says:

Mmmm very good looking crumbles. These little stone fruits are very cute and I just want to eat them. I also like some crunchy nuts in the crumble.

10. zurin says:

Now.. if only i cld crumble my kitchen and make it as beautiful as your crumble i would.

11. arundati says:

i was hoping you'd post pics of the wip in the kitchen deeba… only you can make bricks and rods look so good with your incredible baking! am on a sugar freeze…so no baking…just ogling! much love!

12. Coffeebeans says:

I love your blog and your recipes!
    The photos, the settings and everything are amazing!

13. bellini valli says:

I have some berries and cherries for another project Deeba, if there is anything left a crumble would be lovely.

14. Barbara Bakes says:

It looks scrumptious. I love a good crumble, especially with scoop of vanilla ice cream. I hope you're kitchen's back together in no time.

15. Kathy Gori says:

For someone whos' kitchen is in pieces
    you're certainly turning out gorgeous food! Those stone fruit crumbles look divine. Can't wait to see the new kitchen.

16. Nachiketa says:

Ure so truly passionate….. baking thru all of this hammering….. :)

Awesome pictures….

The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts – Nachiketa
    Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

17. Saee Koranne-Khandekar says:

Love the cherries! :)

18. Lovely pictures and crumble looks delicious!

19. Belinda @zomppa says:

Those photos are absolutely STUNNING!

20. The Caked Crusader says:

Beautiful photos and a yummy looking crumble!

21. Isabelle says:

Oh yay! I'm so glad this crumble recipe worked out for you!
    I love the contrast of the beautifully arranged crumbles and the rubble of the kitchen… like beauty and the beast, only with food. :)
    BTW, I am in awe of anyone with the guts to cook while their kitchen is under construction. You have my complete and utter admiration.

22. Anu Menon says:

How perfect… I have some pretty plums sitting themselves in the fridge waiting to make their way to my tummy…

23. shayma says:

haha i love it! all this mayhem and such beautiful desserts being made in the midst of it. only you, my dear, only you. superdonna! love, shayma

24. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Only you could click pictures in the middle of rubble, and still make them look awesome! Crumble looks amazing. I'm going to check if I have any fruits, and going to try this!

25. Spice says:

Wow deeba, beautiful photos of both…. crumble & rubble…

26. Xiaolu says:

Nice photos and I can't imagine having my kitchen turn down, but I'm sure it'll be functioning and even better soon.

27. Arwen from Hoglet K says:

Making crumble is an amazing feet when your kitchen is rubble! It looks divine – I must convince my partner that cooked fruit really does taste good, and this might just be the way.

28. Jeanne @ CookSister! says:

LOL – you used my throwaway line as an opening quote!! I feel TOTALLY honoured :) Can't believe you had the courage to even attempt to cook anything so beautiful with the kitchen in such disarray. Under attack indeed! Sure it will all be worth it in the end though. Hugs!

29. Magic of Spice says:

The cobblers are gorgeous and these photos are amazing…a story in pictures:)

Trackbacks

1. […] Stone Fruit Crumbles with unsweetened low fat cream …. plus a bottle of Chardonnay { or maybe chilled beer} […]