{Baking} CORNMEAL DROP BISCUIT PEACH COBBLER … for times when the mason doesn’t show up!

“There’s your karma ripe as peaches.”
Jack Kerouac

Even while the hammers rain blows down, and the kitchen is in shambles, I have a list of things to do. A cobbler was on my must bake list before the stone fruit season bid us adieu. It’s been bookmarked ever since I saw it on Leites Culinaria when I stopped by attempting to try and bake a recipe off the site for a photography competition. This cobbler was high on my list, until Monsieur Lebovitz’s Absolute Best Brownies knocked me off my perch!

Not one to stay knocked off for so long, I was soon winging my way back to my must bake list. We’ve had some minor issues while the kitchen renovation goes on … stuff like minor flooding {never touch the plumbing if it works fine!!}, and then a day with minimal work done when the mason took a rainy day off! For me, minimal work being done was a golden opportunity to get down to baking. If the mason doesn’t show up, it’s cobbler time!

Cobbler is a traditional dish in both the United States and the United Kingdom, although the meaning of the term is quite different in each country. In the United States, it is usually a dessert consisting of a fruit filling poured into a large baking dish and covered with a rolled pastry dough, then baked in an oven. In the United Kingdom it is usually a savoury meat dish, typically a lamb casserole, which is covered with a savoury scone-like topping, each scone (or biscuit) forming a separable cobbler. Fruit-based versions are also increasingly popular in the United Kingdom, although they still retain the separate cobbler (or biscuit) topping of the meat version, and savoury or meat versions are not unknown in the United States. The Crisp or Crumble differ from the cobbler in that the cobbler’s top layer is more biscuit-like. Grunts, Pandowdy, and Slumps are a New England variety of cobbler, typically cooked on the stove-top or cooker in an iron skillet or pan with the dough on top in the shape of dumplings; they reportedly take their name from the grunting sound they make while cooking.
Jeanne @ Cooksister had an Apple Pecan Cobbler posted just recently, and I knew the time had come. for me to try the peach cobbler. This was one fruit dessert I hadn’t tried so far.  A fridge full of peaches, a few plums too, soon I had a pie dish full of fruit. I chopped the peaches instead of slicing them, all done in haste, but cobbler I made! It’s not a beautiful thing to photograph, but I took a shot. I love the rustic fruity look the cobbled top offered, somewhat like a mosaic, with colourful fruit and juices peeping through. I threw in some pistachio nuts in the biscuit topping, just to add to the taste and, maybe colour!
This particular recipe is from the cookbook The Lee Brothers Simple Fresh Southern by Mat & Ted Lee. Very ‘Simple, Fresh and Southern’ as the book title goes, it is a versatile one too. I added a few plums for colour with the peaches. I think like in most cobblers, apples, blackberries, blueberries etc  all work wonderfully under the drop biscuit crust. The fruit juices get cooked and combine with the sugar to form a thick syrup which rises above the biscuit edges to give a cobbled stone like appearance. The cobbler was rustic beautiful and moorish, and full of bursting good flavours.

I’m glad I made the cobbler. It was delicious and ever so fruity. Mr PAB said, ‘What is this ‘thing’ Deeba? It’s delicious!‘ The daughter said, “I love this mushy, ugly thing. Can I have some more?”, and the son loved it too, especially the biscuit crust {anything with butter is!}. I served it chilled because it’s still summer here and we’d rather have cold dessert than warm. Also, chilling it meant that all the fruit juices thickened up nicely and the flavours matured. Of course, it wasn’t very picture-worthy, but heck… My first cobbler was downright delicious, and is off to the Food Photo Competition @ Leite’s Culinaria!

Cornmeal Drop-Biscuit Peach Cobbler

3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup fine cornmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pistachio nuts, shelled
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon iodized salt or fine sea salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for the baking dish
1/2 cup cold buttermilk {I used low fat}
Preheat oven to 220C. Butter a 9″ pie dish
Place all filling ingredients in a large bowl, and toss to mix well. Allow to stand for ten minutes while you make the drop-biscuit dough
Drop-biscuit dough
Place the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, pistachio nuts and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse for a few seconds till the nuts are chopped fine, and the mixture blended. Add the butter and give 2-3 short pulses till the butter cuts through, and the mixture becomes like coarse meal with pea size bits of butter. Add the buttermilk and stir with a rubber spatula just until a tacky, wet dough comes together, which should take no more than a few seconds.
Gently plop spoonfuls of the biscuit dough on top of the peach filling or, if the dough is too sticky to plop, simply spread it unevenly. The dough should be patchy and should not cover the entire surface of the filling.
Bake until the cobbler’s syrup is bubbly and the biscuit top is alluringly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
Scoop the warm cobbler into small dessert bowls, ramekins, even cocktail glasses. Serve warm.

Comments

1. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

A splendid cobbler! So fruity,juicy, crispy and smooth. In one word: perfect!

2. JD in Ireland says:

I've never tried to make a cobbler, peach or otherwise, but this post of yours has definitely inspired and motivated me. Thanks for sharing!

3. lisaiscooking says:

I think it is a beautiful thing to photograph–looks delicious! The pistachios in the topping sound great too!

4. Tangled Noodle says:

Your cobbler looks marvelous! I am partial to sweet versions but your description of the savory kind, traditional in the UK, is something I would love to try!

5. Gloria says:

Simplemente, delicioso.
    Un beso

6. Sanjeeta kk says:

Lovely read and equally good recipe to try.

7. Suman Singh says:

cobbler looks incredible..enjoyed reading your post..thanks for sharing this!

8. Valentina says:

Just visiting your blog makes me happy. he photos are so stunning, beautiful light. What a wonderful cobbler. I loved the idea of adding the plums for colour. I have never made a cobbler before. perhaps it should be added to my own list.

9. Amanda says:

Wow looks fantastic Deeba! We have similar wavelengths today, I just made a cornmeal cake! Haven't posted yet, but it's yummy :) Stumbling!

10. bellini valli says:

This is a gorgeous way to enjoy fresh peaches Deeba.U was at the farmers market this moring and have 5 pounds of juicy peaches.

11. Shirley @ Kokken69 says:

Fresh peaches are not so easy to come by here but all your photos look so beautiful, I will have to go out and hunt down some peaches!

12. Helene says:

Another beautiful dessert that you made in your kitchen. Love the pictures xo

13. UrMomCooks says:

Luv the biscuit topping! So very southern! Just when ya think peaches are over, a recipe like this pops up and it's right back onto the peach wagon for me!!!

14. Chetana Suvarna Ganatra says:

Never baked a cobbler before….wondering whther it is a fancy step sister of the humble peach pie.
    Btw all de best fr ur entry in de competition…
    Also, I hv a blogger award for u in my page, come n collect te much deserved one.

15. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets says:

This looks delicious and beautiful in the rustic way that cobblers are. Glad you took advantage of this opening to bake even during renovations. Much more dedicated than I'm sure I'd be.

16. Pavithra says:

Wow the looks awesome and the first picture is really stunning..OMG this is making me drool….

17. Honey @ honeyandsoy says:

Hi Deeba! I love your blog! Your pictures are gorgeous… well, because you made the beautiful subjects, of course!

18. Satya says:

hi deeba,

first time to your blog…this peach dessert looks so bewitching…baking is one of my favourite recently as i am new to baking..recently i am learning to make baking recipes and u inspire me

if u get time do visit my blog

Satya

19. bunkycooks says:

This is a beautiful cobbler! I have sooo many peaches right now…I just might have to make my own. I like the addition of cornmeal in this version.

20. Jamie says:

Oooh I have a favorite recipe for a peach cobbler and have just been putting off making it but you have me drooling and inspired. Just beautifula and it looks delish! I hope that by now that kitchen is done and you are back to normal. I am also counting on seeing pictures of it! AND I count on baking in it with you one day!!! xoxo Thanks for the fab cobbler, sistah!

21. Magic of Spice says:

Beautiful cobbler, I have never had a cobbler prepared this way…looks wonderful:)

22. Sanchita Karmakar says:

Hi Deeba! I loved your blog..really awesome..:) Glad to follow you :)
    Thanks,
    Sanchita.

23. Lovely and fruityy cobbler, yum. Never made cobbler before even though I often do crumbles. Thanks for the inspiration Deeba. And I love how creative you are with props – even an upside down tile! :)

24. beautiful cobbler and photos! the biscuit topping looks buttery and delicious!

25. Gisela says:

Never made a peach cobbler, or any cobbler. I'm from Germany and our dessert pies or cakes are very different. But this one looks so delicious, I could just bite into it right now. Add a little whip cream and it's perfect.

26. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

That 'thing' looks delicious!! Yummy. Kudos to you cooking in a barely working kitchen :)

27. Well, Deeba, it certainly looks beautiful to me! I'd love some!

28. stefania.confidential says:

Delizioso delizioso ….. !!!

29. pegasuslegend says:

cant wait to try this looks fantastic

30. Kathryn says:

That cobbler looks amazing! You should submit the recipe to the Recipe4Living Fall Cobbler Recipe Contest here!