{Baking} COCOA BERRY DESSERT BROWNIES … with Linwoods Milled Flaxseed, Cocoa and Berry Mix

There’s more to life than chocolate, but not right now.
Anonymous
THUD! It was that all too familiar noise of the postie chucking a parcel over the gate again. While I braced myself for probable disaster & broken bits of parcel, the son raced out yelling, “Mama, must be something for your blog!” Excitement writ on his face, the expectation of a new foodie flavour or recipe lighting up his life, he does enjoy the little joys of my blogging. A foodie through and through, he was spot on! Came in waving a brown floppy parcel, his eyes searching my face for a ‘go ahead’ to get to the contents! The nod from Mama followed, and soon he was waving a delicious package of Milled Flaxseed, Cocoa and Berries from Linwoods UK.
Linswood UK are a health food company based in the UK and manufacture an astonishing range of products – fresh, dairy and packaged. My first experience with their products was after the Food Blogger Connect ’09 in London where we got a goodie bag full of exciting stuff thanks to Bethany of Dirty Kitchen Secrets. Linwoods was one of the sponsors and they had included a bag of milled flour which I experimented with  in an Apple CrispMilled Nut Flour Macarons and in this French Fougasse.

A friend coming from the UK got me another bag recently, and I continue to use it to enhance nutrition in desserts and breads I bake. Of this cocoa berry product, the company says, “Linwoods Milled Flaxseed, Cocoa and Berries blend boasts incredible antioxidants qualities, particularly when compared to other fruit and vegetables. An adult would need to eat a total of 1 cabbage, 3 full broccoli, 6 carrots, 3 apples, 1 grapefruit and 10 tomatoes to get the same amount of antioxidants contained in just two spoonfuls of this new super food!”

The cocoa berry mix called my name and I dreamt of several ways to use it …. but Mr PAB who was recovering from an illness decided to have a relapse, and left me with little time to experiment!  Linswood asked us to create recipes using the product, and here is my contribution. The idea took off as snack brownies, but the creation in the end was more like dessert nirvana

Decadent  and delicious! I have to say I was surprised at the amount of flavour the Linwoods mix offered them! Made brownies using their cocoa product, enhanced with a little melted dark chocolate. Also substituted 25gms butter with 25gms EVOO, and added some brandied burgundy cherries to the mix. This is my entry for the Linwoods Cocoa Delight Recipe Development Competition.

My one and only jar of brandied burgundy cherries was disappearing fast, and I felt compelled to use them again before they were gone. I recently topped these divine Chocolate Pavlovas we did for the Daring Bakers with these preserved cherries. Adding some to the brownie batter, I thought the brownies might turn out nice, but I didn’t expect them to turn out this nice. The cocoa berry mix and dark chocolate added great depth in colour and flavour, and the brandied bing cherries took them straight  from snack to ‘dessert’ level! Moist, dark and deep, the verdict was out the minute I sliced them! YUM!!

Served them up with some unsweetened whipped cream topped with some more preserved cherries of course! Thank you Linwoods for this wonderful product. Loved experimenting with it, and hope to try it on some more sweet stuff in the near future. Thank you  gorgeous Bethany for introducing me to the world of Linwoods!

Cocoa Berry Dessert Brownies
Own recipe
75gms unsalted butter, soft
25gms Extra Virgin Olive Oil {EVOO}
2/3 cups vanilla sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
50gms dark chocolate, melted and mixed with 1 tsp EVOO
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup Milled Flaxseed, Cocoa and Berry mix from Linwoods
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brandied burgundy cherries, drained, halved

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Line a 8″ round Victoria sandwich tin, or 7 X 11″ baking tin.
Place the flour, milled flaxseed, cocoa and berry mix, baking powder and salt in a bowl, and mix uniformly with balloon whisk.
Beat the butter, EVOO and vanilla sugar till smooth, 1 minute on high.
Add the vanilla extract and eggs, and beat for another minute. Pour in the melted dark chocolate in a stream, beating to incorporate constantly.
Fold in the mixed dry ingredients and the drained, chopped preserved cherries.{I reserved a few cherries for the top}
Turn into prepared tin, and bake for 20-25 minutes / until a tester comes out clean. Cool on rack completely, chill for a few hours / overnight, else they might be too fragile to cut. Turn out gently, slice and serve.
Serve with unsweetend whipped cream, and some brandied cherries.
Note: The brownies stay well in the fridge, and can be served chilled. They remain moist because of the preserved cherries.

Comments

1. Nachiketa says:

WOW!!!! Such healthy cherry brownies…. can i pl be ure neighbor…..
    will run as joyously as your son to collect the packets delivered by the postman n even DIVE so that they don't land with a thud……

even i did cherry brownies sometime ago but in sugarfree for the chocolate starved diabetics… http://thevariable-nachiketa.blogspot.com/2010/06/sugarfree-cherry-brownies-happy.html

cheers,
    The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts – Nachiketa
    Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

2. Jessica @ How Sweet says:

I ADORE cherries in chocolate. These are like heaven to me!

3. Madhuli says:

Drooling..still drooling….still drooling..yum yum..

4. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

A great combination! those Brownies look wonderful!

5. Foodessa says:

Deeba…stop showing off those cherries…you're making me crazy ;o)
    The recipe of brownies must be especially good with that mix of very different ingredients.
    We don't have that flaxseed blend here…however, I'm sure with a little creativity…I can replicate it;)
    Thanks for a very colorful post and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

6. VeggieWiz says:

that looks sooo sooo yummy!

7. MeetaK says:

the cocoa berry mix certainly sounds yummy! but it's your incredible creation that hits the roof! love it! i've been working with cherries & chocolate too! perfect recipe deeba!

8. Cool Lassi(e) says:

Simply Divine Brownies with crusty topping and moist insides and on a mission..the anti-wrinkle mission?

9. Juls @ Juls' Kitchen says:

Cherries.. so joyful, sweet, summer like! I love them, with chocolate they are fabulous!! Lovely photos!
    The slice with whipped cream is so tempting!!

10. Debugcooking says:

Love the flavours deeba…have got to try this today…its on top of my to do list today…

11. Tangled Noodle says:

These are no simple brownies! How rich and decadent these slices look, especially with the preserved cherries on top. This is a marvelous entry into the Linwoods competition and the winner, as far as we are concerned!

12. Sanjeeta kk says:

Lovely recipe and great clocks. Cherries look a refreshing add on in the baked goody.

13. FireintheBreeze says:

great pictures and a yummy combination of ingredients!

14. Cathy says:

What a luscious chocolate dessert. Chocolate and cherries are so perfectly suited to each other. I've never seen any similar mix here but I'll be watching for it.

15. delicious and good for you..what could be better? Yum.

16. Barbara Bakes says:

How could dessert nirvana not be a winner! It looks and sounds fabulous.

17. Pavithra says:

Wow that one scrumptious brownies.. Wish I am your neighbour to have those treat right way…looks sooo delicious and healthy. The pictures are awesome too…

18. pyrochic says:

What a beautiful blog you have! Gorgeous photography and your subjects are even better! Good job on such a great blog!

19. Deeba- it looks good enough to eat! ;)

20. Helena says:

Those brownies look so good, they give me a real chocolate craving right now :)
    Amazing blog by the way!

21. KavyaNaimish says:

Hi Deeba,I'm a new follower of ur blog..I really fell in love with all ur baking stuff and da photography too..It may take a while to explore ur blog to see all the YummY things..I need a small favor,I was searching for Trifle pudding cake served in a glass recipe in ur site but couldn't it…can u plz provide me the link(kavya.naimish@gmail.com)…Wen u have time jst stop by my blog http://www.kavyanaimish.com
    –Thanks In Advance

22. Julie @ Willow Bird Baking says:

Mmm I'll have a slice, please! Looks delicious!

23. Leave-Room-for-Dessert says:

YUM, YUM and YUM! OMG these sound so delicious Deeba! Wishing I had some of that lovely flour myself, but I'm not in Europe, so ho hum. Must try your recipe with what I've got here though! xo

24. Cristie says:

Cherries and chocolate are one of my all time favorite combinations. This looks divine. So interested in the flax mix. This recipe is very interesting. I've got to try it!

25. Boabe de Cafea says:

I like your recipes and photos very much! Congratulations!

26. Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog says:

Incredible the pics in a rustic landscape!! The brownies are really the dessert nirvana!!

I can eat the entire screen, can I?

All the best,

Gera

27. Eliana says:

These look picture perfect. But I never expect anything less of you.

28. Bonnie says:

Great to make something that looks this luscious and have it be healthy too. Amazing. Thanks for the advice on preserving the fruit. I really appreciated it.

29. Lyndsey says:

Well these certainly look stunning all by themselves, but to add the brandied cherries really put them over the top! Oh my I want that jar of cherries! I love all your beautiful photos! The Milled Flaxseed, Cocoa and Berry mix from Linwoods, looks like a winner.

30. Oh Deeba, What a divine combination!!! Now please stop making us all drool in front of the screen and pls pls pls send a small slice to all your blog visitors!!! ;)

31. shayma says:

Deebs, the photos are getting more and more beautiful! love the choccie/cherry combi. x shayma

32. ajcabuang04 says:

These brownies look great!! I'm still searching for a brownie recipe. I tried Ina Garten's but it wasn't so good. These look fudgy and chewy!!! YUM!!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

33. RamblingTart says:

Such beautiful brownies, Deeba! :-) I love your photos so much. Each post is a vision of loveliness, focusing on such wonderful, homey details that make me want to climb right in and be part of the pictures.

34. Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

These look gorgeous Deeba, I hope you win the contest and get to come next time!!

35. Sanjeeta kk says:

Love the space and the recipes. A real treat to sore eyes. Excellent shots.

36. bunkycooks says:

I can make these because they are so healthy! ;) These do sound heavenly with the chocolate and cherries. Oh, my! I hope your hubby is feeling better now.

37. Asha @ FSK says:

I just took one look at the picture and thought " these look decadent!!" and then you say exactly that.. such an easy way to get good, nutritious stuff in.. Looks awesome Deeba. I just wish I could get a nibble of it, somehow :DD

38. lisaiscooking says:

Your brownies look amazing, and this sounds like a healthy, delicious product. The cherries you used look fantastic too!

39. Murasaki Shikibu says:

Looks delicious, Deeba!

40. Arwen from Hoglet K says:

Sounds like a pretty healthy brownie with flaxseeds and olive oil. It looks lovely with cherries and cream!

41. Neetz says:

Hi deeba :)
    i stumbled upon ur blog thru another bloggger…
    what can i say… WOW!! u have an awesome blog and look at all the those recipes u have posted…i m drooling over each one…though i have not yet started the baking process…i will be doing soon and sure gonna try everythign of urs :)…. happy to follow u :) :)

Do drop by my blog and i would be more than happy for ur suggestions :)…

42. Neetz says:

Hi deeba :)
    i stumbled upon ur blog thru another bloggger…

Do drop by my blog and i would be more than happy for ur suggestions :)…

43. Neetz says:

Hi deeba :)
    i stumbled upon ur blog thru another bloggger…

Do drop by my blog and i would be more than happy for ur suggestions :)…

44. Malar Gandhi says:

Whoo love cherries, pictures are extraordinary…very inviting. Perfect recipe, just love it.

45. chris says:

What a wonderful recipe! Love cherries and chocolate together. As I read and looked at each picture, my jaw dropped farther and farther. AWESOME!

46. Nicisme says:

I knew you would turn the flaxseed into something wonderful. We could eat brownies by the ton now that you've made them healthy!!

47. SpotThings says:

Yummy! I am not nearly the best baker in the world, but i will have to give this a try!

48. Valentina says:

I just love how you played with the ingredient. This is just heavenly. I will most certainly give it a go. I also loved the product and i will keep trying new things with it.

49. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

D, these look seriously decadent! You always receive such great treats :)

50. what a healthy addition to baking! glad to see you trying to add a healthy touch to all your mouth watering desserts =) and those pictures make me drool over this post over and over…..yummmm

Trackbacks

1. [...] 3.  I wondered if anyone else had tried using this ingredient before and came across this website, passionate about baking, where it had been used in brownies.  Great recipe but I couldn’t help looking at the other [...]