DOUBLE CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY AND OAT ENERGY BARS … healthy & delish!!

“If you don’t quit, you will succeed by accident as long as you keep going.”
Diane Walker

I’m always in the mood for fruit in baking, energy bars, snacks with healthy oats in them, healthy stuff, cutting back on butter etc. If I take care of a few good thngs on the snacky level, then dessert doesn’t seem so calorific after all. Doing the balancing act as a food blogger is never easy as there’s so much eye candy out there to tempt you!
But with every down side comes the upside, and that’s just what I found when I read Megan’s post @ Megan’s Cooking the other day, Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Snack Bars. They grabbed my attention since I’m always on the lookout for healthy snack bars as the boy goes to train for soccer, and I think oats offer goodness in every bite! The bars reminded me of these Thick Chewy Granola Bars, and there was something about Megan’s recipe that got me to get up and make them immediately. I’m glad I did!
There was a time when most baking was done with all purpose flour. One of the easiest flours to use, it always gives consistently good results. The biggest drawback of using refined flour is as the name suggests, it is ‘refined’ so it lacks nutritional benefit. A diet based on white flour products tends to be deficient in a number of essential nutrients, primarily the ‘B-complex’ vitamins. It also is linked to weight gain and insulin problems.

The winds of change are slowly sweeping the culinary world, and there is a paradigm shift to the use of ‘Alternative Flours’. Though you might not find much variety in India, some substitution is always possible. I have increasingly begun trying to substitute a part of the regular flour in recipes with flours like buckwheat flour (kuttu ka aata), whole wheat flour (aata), or then with rolled or powdered oats. (Fab India stocks buckwheat flour in season, and in North India it is available in almost every corner shop during the fasting season.)

I experimented with Megan’s recipe, and make this almost every week now. It makes for a great snack, and keeps well in the fridge in an airtight box. I have played around with the plain flour in the original recipe, and in case you don’t find buckwheat flour, you can always substitute it for whole wheat flour. I like the health benefits of the recipe a lot, as also the fact that it uses just ¼ cup of oil and no butter! Despite this, it’s a very delicious bar and does well in the kids snack boxes. If you’d like to cut out calories, then go ahead and skip the conserve and chocolate, which is how the original recipe is.

Double Chocolate Strawberry & Oat Energy Bars
Adapted from Megan’s Cooking

1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated vanilla/white sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons skim milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats (I use Quaker)
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup strawberry conserve, melted
50gms dark chocolate, melted

Pre heat oven to 180C.

Line a 7 X 11 X 2 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Grease lightly.
In a large bowl, combine the oil, brown sugar, vanilla/white granulated sugar, egg, milk, vanilla and salt. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until the sugars have dissolved.
In a separate bowl, combine oats, all flours, baking soda and chocolate chips. Stir until combined. Add to liquid mixture and mix well. Transfer to the prepared tin and spread uniformly. You can bake as is at this point, or spread a 1/4 cup of melted preserves on top with an offset spatula/butter knife and then bake.
Bake 15-20 minutes until golden.Remove from oven and spread the melted chocolate over it and allow to cool until firm.
Once cool, chill for about an hour for the chocolate to set. Cut into bars/ squares and store tightly covered. Refrigerate if the weather is warm because the chocolate will melt. These bars keep well in an airtight box in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.

Comments

1. Jessica @ How Sweet says:

These look absolutely fabulous!

2. Federica says:

assolutamente golose golose!!! baci!

3. Heavenly Housewife says:

These energy bars look delicious. I have never tried buckwheat flour and am interested to know how that would taste in an energy bar.
    I love that quote :)
    *kisses* HH

4. Happy Cook says:

Healthy and delcious that this is indeed. I so wish my daughter went to socer training them i would also make all these.
    I am sure even without the training she will say make them and also love it.

5. görel says:

Aoeeeh, I need one of these right now, am struggling with a deadline.

6. Lazaro Cooks! says:

Saw your blog on food blogs…Glad I checked it out. Informative & detailed. Look forward to following you here.

7. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

Awesome bars! So good!

8. Sandie {Inn Cuisine} says:

Chocolate, strawberries & oats: oh my! These are some seriously scrumptious bars :) Look forward to trying the recipe.

9. Valen says:

This looks fantastic! I think I will make this!

10. Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

These look incredibly more-ish. I love Megan's blog too.

11. Cherine says:

Stunning!! I love those bars, they look sooooooooo yummy!

12. Pavithra says:

Awesome bars and beautiful beautiful beautiful. What can I say!!! absolutely healthy and yummy.

Pavithra

13. Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog says:

Deeba, did you read my mind when you thought this sweetness, right?

Chocolate, strawberry and oats – wow I need them for my training, now!! :)

All the best,

Gera

14. Adele @ WillworkforBiltong says:

These look as if they're good for both body and mind! Great recipe, thanks Deeba.

15. shayma says:

really lovely, deeba and i like the write-up about alternative flours. chocolate and strawberries- what's not to love? love, shayma

16. Rambling Tart says:

Mmmm, so good, Deeba! And I really like your quote at the top. I needed that today. :-)

17. AdukalaVishesham says:

the bars look stunning..will say yes to such treats anytime…

18. OH MY GOSH! This could be all of my meals everyday! Luxurious Deeba.

19. Megan says:

Between these bars and the chewy granola bars, it's now hard to keep oats in the house. I'm making a batch of something every 4 days. I love that you added strawberry jam. You know I gotta try it!
    Speaking of different flours, I almost bought some coconut flour. Wouldn't that be a good flour to use? Rather exepensive though.
    Thanks for the shoutout Deeba. Your the best1 :)

20. Grumpy & HoneyB says:

If only I had the "energy" to make these tonight! Looks delicious and would love these for the morning :)

21. Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) says:

I'm sure my kids will love this, will try this out soon. Thanks for sharing!

22. Lazy_Ducky says:

great recipe! will be very tasty for breakfast :-) can i though substitute buckwheat flour to all purpose or any other recommended?

23. Barbara @ moderncomfortfood says:

I'm TOTALLY with you here on this combination of strawberry and chocolate flavors. And I love the innovative touch of buckwheat in your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

24. Tangled Noodle says:

I will have to increase my exercise regimen so that I can have these energy bars! I just love the chocolate and strawberries combination, which really turns these into terrific treats,

25. Luxurious bars Deeba. It will make someone happy for sure.

26. Holly says:

Looks really good:)

27. Oooh, these look so delicious I wouldn't have known they were secretly healthy! I'll definitely try it out soon.

28. tasteofbeirut says:

deeba

Thanks for passing on this fabulous recipe! As usual, your photos make it irresistible! I am going to try it with my own middle-eastern twist on flour-using farina- and see how that goes! (I am trying hard to stock up on more iron-rich foods!)
    Take care
    Joumana

29. Health Article Topics says:

I am really impressed with your web blog. The pictures you have included in this post really helped me to understand the essence of chocolate to this meal bar. Strawberry and oats is a very good combination as well. Keep up the great work with your blog.

30. Heather Davis says:

The pic of the chocolate shavings is simply art lady! I just love all your photos. I also love the combo of chocolate and strawberry. Will have to give these a try. Stumbled ya too!

31. 5 Star Foodie says:

These bars sound fantastic! My daughter would love these for her breakfast and dessert snacks!

32. Cristie says:

I have some buckwheat flour just waiting to be used, love oatmeal flour and I would love to give a go at this recipe.

33. Sophie says:

These bars full of energy make my heart sing!!

These bars look fabulous, Deeba!! Wonderful too!

34. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella says:

I love that opening quote Deeba! And everything looks perfect-even your strawberry jam with the perfect dried strawberry looks amazing! :D

35. Natalie... says:

mmmm chocolate and strawberry!! these sound so so good!

36. Muneeba says:

best looking granola bars ever!! and your strawberry jam looks pretty appealing too :)

37. Oh, I could make these for JP – just sneak in the chocolate – and using jam I could play around with the flavor. What great bars and a great recipe. Glad you did the tweaking!

38. those look very yummy! i'm going to try them.

39. sewa mobil says:

great post
    great chocolate to eatean

40. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Ohh these look fabulous!

41. Ooo…they're so seductive, and waving at me! ;) Love to bite into one of those…mmmmm…

42. Sophie says:

Waw, Deeba!!

What splendid & lovely grand breakfast bars!!

MMMMM,…they look incredible!

43. Magnetic Sponsoring says:

Your current posts always include alot of really up to date info. Where do you come up with this? Just stating you are very innovative. Thanks again

44. This can be a truly good read for me, Must admit that you’re certainly one of the very best bloggers I ever noticed.Thanks for posting this informative article.

45. virginia tech bookstore says:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

46. I all the time emailed this weblog post page to all my contacts, as if like to read it after that my links will too.

Trackbacks

1. What Are Power Drinks All About? | Articlewrap.com says:

[...] DOUBLE CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY AND OAT ENERGY BARS – Passionate About … [...]

2. Double Chocolate Strawberry & Oat Energy Bars | HoneyMash.com says: