Strawberry Cake with Quark & Mascarpone … Delicious, Light & Fruity!

“Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake.”
Author Unknown
I made this cake a long while ago for my SILs birthday. While the cake itself tasted fabulous in every way (if I may say so myself), I didn’t like the finish I gave it, and therefore didn’t post it. It was the light pink icing I drizzled along the sides that left me dismayed and I later was pretty sore at myself that I didn’t just scrape it off. I could have you know, but I just got so hassled that I didn’t even think of it.
I loved the stenciling I did on top with melted piped chocolate on the lines of the lace border I did here. I took great care with the sliced strawberries too. The colour pink is not one of my favourite colours and I don’t know what possessed me to add it to the frosting on the sides. It was fine in combination with the white, but the minute the red strawberries entered the scene… ack, I was distraught and quickly took photographs and put it away to chill!

Found the pictures the other day while doing a picture collage of strawberry things I’ve done this season on this Strawberry Vanilla Bean Conserve post. One of my dear readers left a comment mentioning the cake in the centre, which was this forgotten one. Time to post the cake I thought , because it was wonderful, delectable and light, and now looked quite nice to me!!
It was sandwiched with a filling made with my favourite form of curd cheese, home made quark, which is another reason I’m posting this cake. It follows a lengthy twitter discussion about quark which I had with good friend Alessio, who I met in London at the Food Blogger Connect ’09. Also part of the quark talk on twitter was fellow tweep Jason from Food Geekery who shares my love for quark.
The cake was light and fruity, and the quark and mascarpone filling blending beautifully with the chopped strawberries within. The mascarpone and cream in the frosting tied up everything to add a certain luxury to this delightful cake. If you wish to learn how to make the lace border, you can see how I did it on this Strawberry Bavarian Cream Cake. The stenciling for the top was done in a similar manner but on a flat piece of parchment cut to size of the design. Once the chocolate set after being chilled, I quickly yet gently placed the parchment, chocolate side down, on the top of the cake, and genlty peeled the parchment off.

Strawberry Cake with Quark & Mascarpone
My recipe
Serves 12-15
Sponge cake
6 eggs
1 cup plain flour
1 cup vanilla sugar (or granulated)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp strawberry essence

Preheat the oven to 190C. Line a round 9″ springform baking tin with parchement paper.
Beat the eggs with vanilla sugar over a bowl of simmering water till tripled in volume, about 7-8 minutes. Take off water, add the essence, and continue to beat for another 5-7 minutes.
Sift in the flour and fold through in figure 8 movements, turning the bowl a 1/4 from time to time, gently but thoroughly tuntil the flour is well incorporated, taking care not to release beaten in air.
Turn into a 9″ round springform tin and baked in a preheated oven at 190C for 20-25 minutes, until the tester comes out clear. Cover the top loosely with foil if the top browns too fast after 20 minutes.
Once done, immediately release from tin, peel off lining paper, and cool completely on rack. (You can make the sponge 1-2 days in advance.)
Once cool, slice it nto 2 horizonally.

Filling:
300 gms quark; made from 1 litre full cream milk and 3/4 cup cultured buttermilk (homemade recipe here)
100 gms mascarpone (homemade recipe here)
150gms strawberries, chopped
3-4 tbsps powdered sugar (adjust to taste)

Beat the quark, mascarpone and sugar till smooth and thick. I had dissolved a teaspoon of gelatin, but didn’t requite it as the cream cheese beat up very thick. I will definitely need the gelatin in summer when the weather is warm.

Fold in the chopped strawberries, and sandwich the cake with this filling.

Topping
200gms mascarpone
100gms cream
3-4tbsps powdered sugar
1/2 tsp strawberry essence
50gms strawberries, sliced
Dark and white chocolate shavings etc for garnishing

Beat all of the above together until thick and spreadable.
Frost cake with it, garnish with sliced fresh strawberries and chocolate shavings etc.
Note: If you intend to keep the cake for a while, give the strawberries a glaze of melted strawberry/apricot/mixed fruit jam.

Comments

1. Sinful Southern Sweets says:

Astonishing!! Totally beautiful in every way!!

2. Jessica @ How Sweet says:

That is one of the most beautiful cakes I have ever seen!!

3. MaryMoh says:

Very beautiful cake. Love all the decoration on top and at the side. Looks like chocolate fence….so pretty!

4. Kajal - Aapplemint says:

The strawberry festival continues … lol … and how beautiful you cake is.
    Cut me a slice will you !

5. I have to buy some strawberries to join you! Fantastic cake!

6. Peter M says:

Beautifully decorated, Deebah! I see snails in those swirlling chocolate designs. ;)

7. Twinsy Rachel says:

Pink is not my favorite color too. This is a beautifully-dressed cake n glad it tasted fab :) tat red dragon fly caught my eyes which brought a sad thought – no dragonfly in our garden this year n scant butterflies. The intense heat could be reason :(

8. shayma says:

a beauty, and how lucky is your SIL? i love the combination of strawberries and quark. beautiful, even with the pink icing! love and hugs shayma

9. another winner Deeba!!!u make the most beautiful cakes on the blog . what can I say.:)

10. the wicked noodle says:

Girl, you never fail to impress! This looks AMAZING!!

11. Lovely cake Deeba!! And its a great great idea to do the choc stenciling on parchment and then slide it on the cake. Allows terrible artists like me do a good job:-)) Thanks for the idea!

12. Gloria says:

OMG my dear Deeba this look awesome and beauty as always, huggssss, xoxoxoxo gloria

13. Gloria says:

Your pics are the most beautiful Y have ever seen, huggs! gloria

14. Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) says:

Beautiful cake and awesome shots as usual..

15. Barbara Bakes says:

So glad you posted this cake. It's gorgeous! I'm going to have to try your stenciling idea.

16. Adele @ WillworkforBiltong says:

Deeba, this cake is beautiful and I love the pink icing! I've never heard of quark before, will have to do some homework on it.

17. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets says:

What a lovely and delicious creation, Deeba! Those chocolate decorations are breathtaking – you must have such a steady hand.

18. citronetvanille says:

If that is not art, then what is art? You should seriously open a high end pastry shops! Beautiful, just beautiful.

19. Sarah, Maison Cupcake says:

That's such a pretty cake, I especially like the chocolate shavings around the edge under the strawberries. I used to see quark in Sainsburys here but not lately so I am off to check out that link to see how you make it.

20. Happy Cook says:

That is a creamy yumm cake, i think the pink icing has it's own charm so don't worry the cake looks beautiful.
    Wish i had a slice right now.

21. greenme says:

hi friends .. I like this article very helpful for me,,,,
    what about link exchange..??

22. Shabs.. says:

the cake is soooo soo beautiful and it was me who spotted it in the collage…i loved it at first sight….Iam baking a cake today for my sons bday and i see its not an easy job at all……You really rock deeba.

23. Asha @ FSK says:

love the bug photos! I really don't like bugs but the red against green is just awesome!!

I should make quark at home.. perhaps when I return. :)) Cake looks so yummy!

24. Chocolate Shavings says:

That cake looks delicious!

25. Holly says:

This is a gorgeous cake!!! And it looks scrumptious too:)
    The Peppered Pantry~

26. A gorgeous cake!!!

27. Madhavi says:

Deeba – your cake looks too good to eat! I would probably use anything to store it and just look at it in awe.

28. tasteofbeirut says:

Marvelous cake Deeba! I can't think of a better way to welcome spring.

29. Ha! I've used that quote in several birthday cards! I love it.

The cake sounds light, delicious and the deco is stunning!

30. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

This cake is beautiful! Very spring-like and surely delicious!

Your shots are stunning, as always!

31. Natashya KitchenPuppies says:

Beautiful! I do like the red and the pink together.

32. Srimathi says:

Deeba, Its one thing to post recipes but you take it a step further and bring more feeling into it. It makes me feel like spring and fruity and the cake looks very light. I am always happy to visit your blog.

33. Poonam says:

Its a beautiful cake! Can't stop looking at the pictures over and over again..

34. meeso says:

Beautiful spring cake!

35. Arwen from Hoglet K says:

I love your dragonfly photo! Quark and strawberries sounds like a lovely combination, and I like the chocolate lace.

36. Madhuli says:

What a beautiful cake..in fact i like the pink frosting..gives the cake a very casual,unique look; not a typical cake look!you are now my starwberry queen;anything stawberry i want to make i can find it here!love the clicks!

37. Hanaâ says:

Absolutely beautiful, Deeba. The strawberries have such a beautiful bright red color. I've made strawberry bavarian cream cakes before and love how light they are (not in calories though, ha ha).

38. Oh my! Darling I had better win the Euromillions soon so I can fly over and take the Deeba cake decorating class! I want to learn from the best! Stunning! Gorgeous! Jaw dropping! Now I can't wait until strawberry season here!

39. Ju (The Little Teochew) says:

Delicious, light and fruity … AND BEAUTIFUL!

40. cacahuete says:

This is a very lovely cake. Perfect, I almost can feel his taste.

41. This is my kind of cake! Strawberries, my favorite, and fresh cheeses, also favorites. The pink is lovely too!

42. Barbara says:

I love that quote, Deeba! Any excuse at all and I'll eat cake!
    Especially this one. You did such a great job with it and I am dying to bite into that slice in the last photo!
    Very spring-like!

43. noble pig says:

I'm sppeechless, it is absolutely stunning.

44. Nicisme says:

Inspiring! I must try the chocolate decoration, it's wonderful!

45. Katrina says:

Your photos are always amazing and I can only imagine how delicious that tastes as well!

46. Amanda says:

i have decided that I want you to come live here in America. I will double up my boys in one bedroom and you can have the other. BAHAHA

LOVE IT!

47. wow!! what a beautiful cake….

48. Hi Deeba, need help from u!!! I see that you have been using 25% low fat cream in most of your desserts and they seem to work so fantastic. Could u help me understand how you manage to whip it? 25% low fat cream is the only one available in India. I have a tough time whipping it and even if I do, it comes back to dropping stage in no time :( I have tried using gelatine too, it doesn't help either. Could u pls help us on that? If possible, is there any post on your blog on that? Your inputs would be valuable.

49. Oh, another of your beautiful creations Deeba. I love your styling and photography. Just gorgeous. I'm a huge fan of quark. We use it a lot in Czech Republic.

50. Megan says:

What a beautiful cake!!! I'm glad you posted it. Love the dragonfly picture. Hope your having a great weekend!

51. Megan says:

52. Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food says:

What a treat for the eyes and, I'm quite certain, the taste buds also. Gorgeous!

53. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

Wow! An absolutely stunning cake. The care and attention that you take with all your recipes is simply amazing. Also, love the quote at the top of the post.

54. Heather Davis says:

What a beautiful creation. I love the way you include pictures of the ladybird and dragonfly alongside the cake. It does look truly mouthwatering yum!

55. Michelle says:

Gorgeous cake and so prefectly decorated for Spring!

56. Divina Pe says:

I'm speechless. You should present this to the embassy every time you apply for a visa. They would be speechless too. They're absolutely beautiful and of course delicious.

57. Your cakes are so artful, little masterpieces in themselves. i love it!

58. Cristie says:

What a beautiful cake. Quark? I really hadn't heard of it and now I know what it is. Thank you for the education. You are gifted.

59. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Pink is actually my favorite color, so I'm LOVING this cake!! I really need to get on board with these cheeses! You're always making such wonderful looking things out of it. Need to go get myself a thermometer!

60. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

61. Mowie @ Mowielicious says:

Darling Deeba – you are the QUEEN of pretty cakes – so inspiring!

Trackbacks

1. Strawberry Cake says:

[...] Strawberry Cake with Quark & Mascarpone – Passionate About Baking The mascarpone and cream in the frosting tied up everything to add a certain luxury to this delightful cake If you wish to learn how to make the lace border, you can see how I did it on this Strawberry Bavarian Cream Cake [...]