The February 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen and Deeba of Passionate About Baking. They chose Tiramisu as the challenge for the month. Their challenge recipe is based on recipes from The Washington Post, Cordon Bleu at Home and Baking Obsession.
A. Tiramisu (includes zabaglione & vanilla pastry cream)
B. Mascarpone Cheese
C. Ladyfinger/ Savoiardi Biscuits
(You can find them at the bottom of my post)
Mascarpone Cheese– Vera’s Recipe (Baking Obsession) for Homemade Mascarpone Cheese.
Savoiardi/ Ladyfinger Biscuits– Recipe from Cordon Bleu At Home
Tiramisu- Carminantonio’s Tiramisu from The Washington Post, July 11 2007
We chose Baltimore pastry chef Carminantonio Iannaccone’s version of tiramisu for a couple of reasons…
- Firstly, his recipe is different from most other tiramisu recipes as he makes a zabaglione, an egg custard which is flavoured with Marsala wine (you may use coffee instead). Even more important is that his zabaglione is cooked so there is no risk from using raw eggs.
- He also makes a vanilla flavoured pastry cream which we haven’t seen in other tiramisu recipes.
The good thing also is that we’ve discovered that making ladyfingers / savoiardi are simpler than anything in the world, and so forgiving. They get all covered by the luscious cream, so it doesn’t really matter that they aren’t ‘all good looking‘. Some of the DBs found them pretty yummy too, and had a second go at doing the challenge and/or savoiardi. That in itself was so heartening to hear.
Latest posts by Deeba @ PAB (see all)
- Baking | Sweet Potato Pound Cake with salted butter caramel sauce #autumn #wholefood #comfortfood - 2015/10/04
- No Bake Dessert | Dark Chocolate Cream with Coffee Panna Cotta #dessertinglasses #glutenfree - 2015/09/22
- Chef Talk |20th anniversary celebrations at TK’S Oriental Grill, Hyatt Regency, Delhi – a ‘behind the scenes’ with Chef Rohilla - 2015/09/19