Tartine’s Zucchini and Orange Marmalade Tea Cake … as healthy as it gets this end!

“Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.”
Jim Davis

Saw something stunning the other day – Zucchini & Orange Marmalade Tea Cake. The minute I saw it at Manggy’s No Special Effects, I could hear Ten in 10 yelling at the back of my head. Having made a Chocolate Zucchini Cake in the past, and the children not figuring that out was a gleeful experience. But I hardly ever make that one because of all the butter it takes to make the cake luscious and delectable.
So when I read that Manggy had made this cake probably 4 times in nearly two months, it was bookmarked in my head. They say that the brain can remeber just about 140  friends on social networking sites, and more than that is forgotten. I’m not really sure about that, because I remember more frineds than those on Twitter, and have even more recipes stashed away in my mind. I’m quite past filing them away on the PC because I just can’t ever seem to find them.
My new mental filing system is good so far. I had this Zucchini Tea Bread  in my Ten in 10 folder. What added to the joy was that I had a couple of jars of fab homemade bitter orange marmalade, some waiting to jump right into this tea bread. The daughter loves orange/marmalade anything, so I thought I could pull this off. Veggies in there and no butter. This is as healthy as cake can get this end with veggies within!
Scared of the kids detecting zucchini and running  a few miles had me hypnotically adding some dark chocolate chips. I like walnuts in tea breads, even thought the daughter doesn’t seem to care for them. Crossroads as always with nutty decisions… Truth be told, I just thought if she gets the chocolate chips in there that she so loves, then she shall need to learn to live with walnuts too. Oh the lessons in life I dream of teaching them through food…he he! Might I add, a lot of them backfire!!
The response was very good. Mr PAB loved the cake. The daughter asked for a second slice, and then a third, and she liked it enough to ask for 2 more the next day. That was be a good enough verdict! The son was a bit iffy about it, but ate it happily just the same. He thought it was a fruit cake!

Zucchini and Orange Marmalade Tea Cake
Recipe adapted minimally from Manggy @ No Special Effects
Adapted from Tartine
1 & 3/4 cup s + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 small ones)
1/2 cup orange marmalade
3/4 cup vanilla sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar

Spray, line, and spray again a 23cm x 12.5cm (9×5 inch) loaf pan and set aside (you can also just spray if you’re confident about your pan’s non-stickiness).
Preheat the oven to 175°C.

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Mix all the remaining ingredients (except the walnuts, if using) in a large bowl until combined (no giant lumps of marmalade at least).
Sift the dry ingredients into it and stir until just combined (don’t worry about it being smooth, just be gentle). Stir in the walnuts if using. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.

Sprinkle the top with the about 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar.
Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

• Rosa's Yummy Yums

What a moist looking cake! Those flavors are fantastic!

• Mags

GREAT recipe! I love sweet breads that incorporate veggies. Takes away a little bit of the guilt, I think.

• Susieqtpies

This looks so yummy! The pics are beautiful!!!!

• Spice

Bookmarked…..nice recipe & wonderful clicks….love zuchini, it's kind of staple in my fridge but for some reason never baked it into cakes/bread, I guess this is the recipe…

• Sari

I'm envious of your memory because I just don't remember recipes! 😉 What an intriguing recipe. I can't imagine how this could taste. I'm quite curious actually! Could you deliver a piece please? 😉

• Mallika

I Love this. Very little artificial sugar too… so… it might be the first cake my baby tastes on her first birthday in a month! Do you think I could make this, give my previous disasters?? Was it easy enough?

• Pari

dear Deeba,
    I had made chocolate Zucchini cake recently and had used a mix of oil and butter, gladly it was enjoyed by all of us and was amazingly moist. I am not a big fan of marmalade was wondering does the cake has a tinge of bitterness or the sweetness overpowers it?

• Barbara

Truly magnificent photos and a fabulous bread recipe! It looks like a little piece heaven…copying now.
    I'm with Jim Davis on the pumpkin pie!

• BonjourRomance

Bonjour Deeba,
    THis looks great, I love carrot cakes and this recipe looks like the best I've seen, the marmalade sounds so good.
    A bientôt

• Snooky doodle

this cake s flavour must be unique. :) yummy

• my spatula

wow – how divine!! your photos are over the top!

• Sarah, Maison Cupcake

Oh this looks really good. I have a couple of courgette cake recipes but not tried either of them. I did so a sweet potato and pecan loaf last summer that was pretty amazing, vegetables in cakes are great.

• Bellini Valli

The verdict is in Deeb and everyone seems to love this cake so it has to be a keeper!

• Sook

Oh my goodness. This is my kind of bread! Love it!

• Judy@nofearentertaining

Oh my! I have to make this. I still have some frozen organic zucchini and I just know I can get some good marmalade. Thanks for some great inspiration!!!

• farida

I love vegetables in breads! Children don't notice the trick:) Your cake looks so moist.

• Bethany (Dirty Kitchen Secrets)

Oh I've missed your post so much and this one is such a beauty to look at. I love red velvet cake and making it into a roulade with ricotta and strawberies… GENIUS!

• Barbara Bakes

I love marmalade and really should try this recipe. I only make zucchini bread in the summer when they're in the garden, but really they are so cheap at the market I should make it year round. Thanks for the post!

• MeetaK

lloks sensational deeba! loving the flavors in this. the big plus you have your veggies and fruit in one yummy dish!

• HoneyB

This looks awesome – I would be so happy to have this in my home this morning!

• Divina Pe

I also saw this at Manggy's blog. I want to try it as well. I happen to have some orange marmalade and zucchinis too. Gorgeous Deeba.

• Tangled Noodle

A healthy cake? Oh, I want some! I wish we'd grown zucchini last summer so that there'd be some in the freezer for me to use right now. And the combination of orange and chocolate can't be beat! Even if your kids couldn't detect the vegetable in their tea cake, I'd still put in the chocolate chips for love of them! 😎

• Natashya KitchenPuppies

Lovely! Looks so moist and flavourful – such a unique combination. I must get this book.. :)

• Kathleen

It is so good to see this wonderful bread. Still love your blog the best!! Can't wait to try this one. Thanks so much.

• Maunika

This sounds gorgeous Deeba. A part of my job as a chef is menu planning for kids too. Just having something like this is perfect for them to get that bit of veg in the diet. Almost reminds me of banana bread with a variant on the ingredients. Love it!

• Alanta Graphic Designer

I'm not a great cook. I would to experiment on making some of these zucchini stuff.

• Corine
  • Manggy

Thanks for the shout-out Deeba! You did a great job with the cake. Perhaps your kids have taught us a good lesson to not be so suspicious about food – you just never know what great things you might be missing out.

• Fimère

un très beau mélange de saveurs, il a l'air tellement moelleux et appétissant
    bonne soirée

• noble pig

Oh yes, I'll take a loaf!

• Gattina

it is very clever to use this veg in tea cake, but I even love you laying the fruit on top of the batter, 'delicious' this word is screaming from inside out!

• Deepa G Joshi

hey first time here, found you via foodbuzz..great space and great clicks..

what a lovely, flavorful cake..love the combo.

• Megan

This cake looks so delicious and moist-what a perfect recipe! I can't wait to give this a try and spread some of my homemade jam on top :)

• Mowie @ Mowielicious

Darling Deeba, this looks amazing. I'd heard of zucchini in cakes before, but never tried it – I can just imagine it adding perfect moisture to the cake. Lovely!

• creampuff

Any chance you can fly one of those out to me? Absolutely delicious!

• Anonymous

Hey Deeba, did you use 1-3/4 cups + 2 tbsp of flour as Manggy's site says or just 3/4 cups+2tbsp?

• Vidya

Thanks for correcting the recipe, Deeba. I baked it last night and fell in love with it even as it was baking! My apartment smelled great too :) Needless to say, the cake became a hit with everyone at work.

• Lisa

A beautiful recipe – thank you for the inspiration. I made muffins with this recipe yesterday.

• rashmi

made it today along with the choc zucchini cake ….. both r yum

This looks so delicious. I was curious if the orange slices on top are just plain?

flynthings´s last blog post ..A. Soup. A. Week. Tropical Red Lentil and Raw Green MangoMy Profile