INDIAN SUMMER CHICKEN CURRY…CURRY ON THE GO!!

“Playwrights are like men who have been dining for a month in an Indian restaurant. After eating curry night after night, they deny the existence of asparagus”
Peter Ustinov

The North Indian summer is always unbearably hot, & is meant to last a month or so. That is how we are programmed to survive here, because come July, we welcome the rains with open arms & hearts! This year has been different. It’s almost August & zilch; the rains didn’t come. We’ve seen the monsoons fail…The temperatures are still in the 40′s, & the days are HOT + HUMID = UGH!! An odd shower now & then makes life miserable. This year, we’ve seen cities across the globe also trying to cope with high temperatures. Vancouver is bad, & so is Seattle. Melbourne had a particularly bad summer with record breaking high temperatures.

Days like these call for light fare on the table, which is what I attempted to do today. I had chicken & I wanted to make curry. Hot weather calls for light curry. Light curry, full of summer flavour … mint, coriander, lime! Lots of mint because my mint patch is overflowing… A few readers mailed me asking me about my kitchen/workspace. Here are a couple of pictures. The kitchen is my playground & I just love it. It’s a largish kitchen, very minimally done on a very basic level…but I still love it. It is airy & lighted…& on most days I have free run of the place. This is when my recipes are born on the go. I thought of making a chicken curry this morning. Something light, something flavourful…& something that screamed summer. The heat can get to me!!

Stepped out in the morning to find mint reaching out to me. The beds are overflowing with mint. Pretty!! So I picked some & thought, hmmm, this must go into the curry. With no specific direction in mind, I marinated the chicken in basics – lime juice, garlic,salt & chili – to get it going. Lime, garlic & salt make a great first marinade for chicken, usually a first step for chicken tikka, tandoori chicken etc. An hour later, I decided to get more happening on the curry. Summer = light food = lots of yogurt! Yogurt is always a part of my curries, but summer means lots of yogurt. Fresh coriander & mint also sing summer to me, so I held an immersion blender & blended the yogurt with the two. I blended some tomatoes as well just in case I need them if the curry wasn’t ‘up to it’. As things went, the curry was more than ‘up to it’ & the tomatoes were resigned to the fridge. Will use them another day.
Turned out to be a finger-licking good, fresh & tangy curry. Light & breezy, the good thing being it required no spices at all, other than red chili flakes. Just very basic pantry ingredients and fresh herbs in here to give you this delicious curry! I made it with chicken on the bone, but I think you can make it just as well with boneless chicken.

The kids L♥VED it. The curry conversation went something like this…
Mama, the chicken’s yummy! It’s really very nice & tangy. “
“What recipe?” (I think this generation learns young! I don’t recall ever using the word recipe till I was 16)
“None…made it from my mind as I pottered around… “
“What’s the name? Which book?”
“I said no book. It’s my own.” (Very unbelieving…)
“What’s it’s called? “
(Um mm quick thinking) – “Indian Summer Chicken Curry”…(which is how it got it’s name!)
“It’s YUM!!”
(Phew…talk about getting interrogated!)

INDIAN SUMMER CHICKEN CURRY
Ingredients:
750gms chicken on the bone
5-6 cloves of garlic; minced
Juice of 1-2 limes (about 2-3 tbsps)
1/4 – 1/2 tcp red chili flakes
Salt to taste
1/2 cup chopped onions (about 1-2 small onions)
1 cup of yogurt
Generous handful of mint leaves
Handful of coriander leaves
1-2 Green chilies (deseed to decrease heat if you like)
  • Whisk the lime juice , garlic, red chili & salt together. Marinate the chicken in this for at least 30-45 minutes.
  • Blend the yogurt with the mint & coriander
  • Heat oil in a wok & fry the chopped onions till golden brown. Turn the chicken into it & stir fry on full heat till light golden. This seals the juices in.
  • Add the blended yogurt. Stir well, allow to cook on high heat, uncovered, until the sauce thickens. Stir minimally to ensure that the chicken doesn’t debone. Adjust seasoning if required, add 1-2 slit green chilies & simmer covered for another 5-7 minutes for flavours to mingle.
  • Serve with flat bread or rice. I served it with wholewheat risen flatbread. A simple recipe I’ve made. Knead 1 1/2 cups ot wholewheat flour with 15gms of fresh yeast (dissolved in water) + 1 tbsp oil + 1 tsp salt. Knead well to a smooth dough. Leave to rise in an oiled bowl for an hour until doubled in volume. (I intend to add some mined garlic next time)
  • Note: The curry tends to thicken as it sits. We like it thick. Add a little milk & simmer to thin it out if you like.

Comments

1. ♥♥♥Ria♥♥♥ says:

Yummm! I can really get the smell of the mint flavoured curry here!! And I am really glad that you put up the pic of your kitchen :)

2. That sounds so yummy and pretty simple to throw together. Have to make separate portions for my kids though – they haven't learnt to appreciate chilli yet :). (Ps – Love your quotes)

3. summer chicken curry? such a refreshing idea :)

4. Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

A fabulous meal! That curry and those naans look so delectable!

What cute children…

5. MeetaK says:

mint and chicken – this is an exquisite combination. i love the lightness! nice one dearest deeba!

6. Tangled Noodle says:

What a wonderful dish! You present it so beautifully and the recipe is indeed light yet sounds so flavorful. I'm going to try this immediately!

The photos of your kids are lovely and despite their interrogation of mom, it's great that they're interested in how their food came about. I remember at the age, the 'how' didn't matter, just 'what' and 'when'! 8-D

7. My mint is also overflowing, but I was not sure it could go into a curry…. now I'm excited :) Thanks for the recipe!

8. lisaiscooking says:

Delicious! I love the simplicity, and I think even I could attempt this curry. Your utensils are gorgeous too.

9. Sounds really refreshing! I am bookmarking this Deeba, will make this soon. My garden is minting a lot of green too.

10. 5 Star Foodie says:

The curry sounds excellent – I love the addition of the mint here, very summery!

11. chris says:

The curry looks fabulous, as you know I miss good Indian food as there are no Indian restuarants close by. I may have to make this dish next time I get my craving for curry.

The photos of your Children ar great.

Chris.

12. We have been really low in temps this year. Heck my poor garden is getting great tomatoes but no heat to turn them red.

I love this recipe and definitely am going to have to give it a shot just for its simplicity alone.

Beautifully done as always!

13. Gloria says:

I love chicken curry and this look awesome (as always LOL) your pictures so beauty and I love your kids!!! xoxoxoxo Gloria

14. Mint, yoghurt and chicken is brilliant…great idea for a chicken curry sans the loads of oil and masalas…

15. Poornima Nair says:

Mint and chicken go so well together and its wonderful to make a curry without the usual spices. Am definitely gonna try this this weekend. The curry looks yumm.

16. Kamran Siddiqi says:

"What's the name? Which book?"<- My all time favorite line. I get it too much in my house…

I love chicken curry and will be sure to make this for the fam. tomorrow for lunch.

Lovely post and photos!

17. Your children are darling, the recipe sounds fabulous, your kitchen is perfectly appointed, and, oh my goodness the handcrafted copper is amazing ~ it's a joy to glimpse your summer.

18. Cucinista says:

What a wonderful looking curry. I always look for things like this to lift dinner when it's hot out. Beautiful pictures as always.

19. Cucinista says:

20. Chez US says:

Beautiful children, lovely kitchen & fantastic dish. I love the copper dishes & utensils … very nice! Your photographs are very inviting! Can't wait to try your curry recipe!

21. Cakebrain says:

Gorgeous pictures! I feel like having curry now…yours looks terrific!

22. Miakoda says:

I love using mint in m curries too. Love the combination with yoghurt!

23. WizzyTheStick says:

You are a talented photographer. I have never had mint in curry before. Sounds like something I have to try. It's been a very dry rainy season here in the Caribbean as well.

24. Donna-FFW says:

Your curry sounds wonderful with that fresh mint!! Loved the pictures of your kitchen!

25. humaira says:

Hi,I have nominated u for the creativ blogger award…pls do visit my blog and accept it.

26. deeba your children are beautiful! can i say they have amazing hair too? :)
    it's rain rain rain in england and this would be the perfect meal to have, cuddled up in the lounge…yummy! x

27. Yum is so right! This is perfect and looks so delicious. What a fabulous blend of flavors – lime, yogurt, coriander, mint and you really don't need much else. I do need to try this one!

28. pigpigscorner says:

I can eat curry anytime of the year! This looks soooo good..and with mint, yummy!

29. PheMom says:

That looks like such a wonderful meal! YUM!

30. noble pig says:

Your presentation is beautiful…and the curry if tastes as delicious as it looks…wow, what a treat.

31. Gera @ SweetsFoods says:

I’ve just read an awesome post about curry of oysterfoodandculture and now this Indian chicken curry….looks super gorgeous for this weekend :)

All the best,

Gera

32. Doloncookbook says:

Hey Deeba first time here & loved your blog … Curry looks fabulous & delicious … will try sometime …

33. Sophie says:

MMMMMMMMMMM,…your summer chicken curry looks excellnet & so tastefull!!

MMMMMMMMM,…

34. A_and_N says:

I love the utensils! Can't say much about the chicken because I'm veggie, but those utensils! Deeba – tell me where you got them. I will get them next time I hit India :D

35. Elysse says:

This was sooooo good! I made it a few nights ago and am already dreaming up a veggie version of it. My husband and I couldn't stop talking about how good it was while we were eating it. Incredible flavours! Thank you so much for posting this!

36. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella says:

Thanks for the glimpse into your kitchen! And hehe at the conversation with the kids. They sound so cute!

37. Love Indian chicken curry, homemade is the best! 2 week ago I made Murgh Makhani for my guests (I didn't blog about it, it's just impossible to take photo while you are having guests) they were speechless. They love it so much.

38. Helene says:

That curry looks delish. Love your kitchen. Thanks for posting the pics. :)

39. Arabic Bites says:

This looks delicious Deeba! My family will love it! I’ll definitely be giving this a try ;)

zainab

40. radha says:

Dear Deeba, i already made it for 2 consecutive days, the taste of lemon is really strong and interesting! one time replacing fresh mint with dried,the other time only cilantro. A tast treat and i am bringing it aslunch box at office the day after, complemented with stir fried okra, plain pasta, black rice. thank yoU!

41. i wouldn't have thought of adding mint to a curry, but this sounds delicious!!

42. The Duo Dishes says:

This sounds really delicious. Love the mint.

43. Anonymous says:

Love Love LOVE your pots, cups, utensils, etc. Did you get those in a local store? I'm recently obssed with Indian gadgets, utensils, cups, bowls, mugs, etc. that are made of tin/ copper. To me, it's so much fun eating delicious Indian dishes out of those intricate, hand-made bowls, plates, spoons, etc.

I love curry and I definitely will have to try this recipe sometimes, SOON!

Thanks for posting and for sharing! I love your site!

44. Shelly says:

I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a long time now, and now that I’m growing my own cilantro, I have to know, when you say lime do you mean lemon? it looks like a lemon in one picture, and a lime in another, then another commenter said they used lemon. I’m sure it’ll turn out great either way, but I’d just like to be sure…

• Hi Shelly, Thanks for stopping by. I used lime as we usually get just limes in India. One lime would give about 2 tbsp of juice, so I’m sure you can use an equal amount of lemon juice too. A lot of the West just replaces lime juice with lemon juice. Hope you enjoy this…

45. I made this today with lemon juice and it was AMAZING!! The name suits it. It was truly refreshing. yum!