“Ice cream is the original soul food.”
Lexie Saige
With summer here, can ice-cream & popsicles be far behind? Finally mangoes have reached their peak in availability & taste. There can be nothing better than enjoying their superb flavour…it’s amazing how flooded the market is, but just until July, because this is the time when the fruit begins to ripen. It’s also the saving grace for the high temperatures we suffer here during this time…43-44C wouldn’t have been possible without this delectable fruit!Bought more than a few kilos of mangoes than I needed too a while ago … because the batch looked so good. With peaches keeping them good company, they were quite obviously headed for the freezer … time for ice-cream, what else? I wanted to make a mango kulfi, but the peaches were naughty, & tripped me along the way … & I landed up with this! I love the combination of peaches & mangoes. Might increase the peaches next time to get a deeper, more-pronounced peach flavour for my little peach monster! You can skip the peaches altogether & make just a mango version too. I think roasting the peaches before might twist the flavour differently! I used a combination of low fat cream & hung yogurt in the recipe here to cut the calories. The ice-cream was delicious & refreshing … & melting fast, might I add!
5 mangoes – (about 1.5kg), peeled & roughly chopped
7-8 peaches ; blanched,peeled & roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar (adjust according to sweetness of mangoes)
200ml low fat cream (25% fat)
1/2 cup hung yogurt (hung from a height for about 2 hours)
Juice of 2 limes
1tsp almond essence
Pinch of salt
  • Place the mangoes & peaches in a deep bowl & blend with the immersion blender.
  • Add the remaining ingredients & blend well again till thoroughly mixed. Adjust sugar if required.
  • Turn into a freezer container, & whisk every hour to distribute the crystals, at least 4-5 times. (or use the instructions on your ice-cream maker; I don’t have one so I use elbow grease!!)
  • Leave to set for 6-8 hours, or preferably overnight.
  • You can also make a few ice-lollies if you like. The kids loved them!

This delicious ice-cream is off to Ben @ What’s Cooking for his latest homemade challenge –Homemade #5 Ice-cream

• Parita

What a delicious combination!! feel like grabbing one lolly right from the screen :) i made pizza from scratch using your pizza base recipe and they have turned out grt, thanks, have blogged abt it on my blog!!

• Prathibha

That looks so yumm..But the sad part is I have finished off my plums today..I think I need to rush again tomm to get those and do these goodies…

• Happy cook

I love the combination. Would have never thought aobut this combo.
    I have indeed mangoes here which hubby bought from UK, we have been eating them just like that.
    Till now I have not made any dessert from them.
    My frezzer is so full, otherwise i would have made this and enjoyed the heavenly taste :-)

• Kalai

Absolutely amazing!! I don't have an ice cream maker either, but this looks easy enough to make. Thanks, Deeba! :)

• Angela @ A Spoonful of Sugar

What gorgeous photos, Deeba! I'm not a kid any more, but I am totally drawn to those ice lollies. What a fantastic shape; perfect for pretending you're an astronaut :)

I am so jealous of your almost gooey ripe mangos. I've never seen such juicy mangos in the UK.

• Poornima Nair

The icecream look divine…what a wonderful combination.

• Soma

It is so time for ice creams & pops now. I have been freezing juice & fruits everyday for the kids. What a lovely way to combine mango & peach.. yum.

• Snooky doodle

I think the mango peach combination is awesome. I need one right now :)

• Bellini Valli

What a lovely combination of flavours Deeba. Loving the pops too, wouldn't they be welcome on a day like today:D

• Helene

I want those bowls, they are so cute. Great combination for a special treat.

• meeso

Such pretty bowls of ice-cream :)

• pigpigscorner

ahh so refreshing! Love the cone-shaped ones. So fun!

• Arwen from Hoglet K

I'm so jealous of your summer eating mangoes! Your hung yoghurt icecreams are still on my to do list. Somehow the yoghurt always gets eaten too fast and I don't get around to hanging it.

• Jennifer

Now I need mangoes!! (love) Great recipe, im loving the lighter side of it for sure. Your pictures are beautiful :)

• Nags

sinful! that's all i have to say! and absolutely gorgeous pics!

• Miakoda

Gorgeous! Especially the ice lollies :)

• 5 Star Foodie

Great ice-cream recipe and healthy too!

• Kerstin

What a lovely ice cream! I love mango smoothies, but I don't think I've ever had mango ice cream – that will have to change! Love the peaches in it too.

• noble pig

I love your dishes! And that ice cream sounds absolutely delicious. Perfect for the warm weather.

• Aparna

I'm also going to say what everyone else here has. Just lovely. Those silver (I think?) dishes are very nice.
    So this is what you were making when I was doing the mousse! :)

• Swapna

Lovely combination & gorgeous pics Deeba!!! Just tried your Apricot and cherry crumble last week and it was a great hit! and now you are tempting me with another dessert….Thank you so much for all the delicious recipes:)

• Mary

Great recipe for the icecream , im might copy i have my daughter who cant eat eggs !

• didolivescooks

wonderful presentation.. congrats!
    I invite you to participate in global ganesha food festival
    The sooner you post the more exposure for your recipes,
    See u there!

• Maya

Great combination! I like the fact that it does not contain any eggs ( many vegetarians in the family)

• Muneeba

Gorgeous pics .. and a wonderful, fragrant combo of flavors .. just right for summer!

• Gloria

Dear Deeba this is a wonderful and yummy recipe, I really love mango Ice cream one of my favorites and this mexi of flavours loo absolutely delicious, georgeous pictures as well!!! xoxoxoxoxo Gloria

• Laurie Vengoechea

I love peach and mango together. And an ice cream is perfect. Love your silver ice cream bowls!

• Manggy

Great idea. Going eggless preserves the tinge of tartness you find in mangoes and peaches– which is a classic combination here, by the way. Beautiful pops too! :)

• MyKitchenInHalfCups

Oh this is the glorious coolness of summer because otherwise the heat would surely melt us.
    Perfectly wonderful photos! Really refreshing. Always my husband (such a little boy at heart) loves the lollies!!

• Room design studio

just found your blog and I absolutly love it!!! I love how you presented the ice cream here! nice pretty plates!

• Christina Kim

Deeba, thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog! I am so happy to meet new bloggers. I will be sure to follow your blog on my reader. And those mango cones looks DEEELICIOUS!

• unconfidentialcook

I love mango-anything. Those lollies looks so good and healthy–my daughter and her friends would just love them (and so would I)!

• aquadaze

I think i'd love this combination – sounds yum! BTW, when I make peach ice cream, I blanch the peaches and cook them with a little sugar before adding it to the ice cream base…I think it makes the peaches taste a bit more peachy.

• virginie

this is the season of peaches and I love it!
    your icecream look so delicious !!!

• Jamie

Wow, really gorgeous! And so simple! How great is that?

• Michele

I love the idea of mango ice cream! Looks delicious!

• Sophie

What an excellent & egg free ice cream recipe: i like my ice creams like this: more healthy & so delicious!

• Dharm

My Wife would absolutely love this! She is the Queen of Mangoes and I can see her salivating at this – my princess too! Looks just great!

• Nicisme

Love the lolly shapes!

• Rosa's Yummy Yums

Your ice cream looks really delicious! I love mangoes, so I'm sure that I'd be popular at home!

• Mansi

wow, that ice cream looks so inviting deeba! and maybe I'll keep the serving bowls too:) hehehe, they are exquisite!!

btw, I'm hosting SHF-Fruit and Nut this month, so hope you get some time to make something and send it in! or just send in one of your pre-made goodies as you have tonnes on your blog!:)

• creampuff

This is so funny because I just had some peach mango ice cream! It's interesting because I don't really like mangos raw but enjoy them in ice cream. It's a beautiful recipe!

• Marshall

We have just added your latest post "MANGO-PEACH LOW FAT ICE-CREAM" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.

Warm Regards Team

• Carms

hi I love mangoes

• jillian

This sounds delicious and looks absolutely beautiful!