Eggs, as well as flour, are the structural ingredients in baking. Eggs provide leavening; add color, texture, flavor and richness to the batter. They are very important in helping to bind all the other ingredients together. Beaten eggs are a leavening agent as they incorporate air into the batter, which will expand in the oven and cause the cake to rise. Some cakes use beaten eggs as their only source of leavening. Eggs are also used as a thickener in custards and creams, and to glaze pastries and breads. Egg whites are used to make meringues.
CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY REFRIGERATOR CHEESECAKE (Eggless)
200gms brown sugar shortbread cookies; crushed (or gingersnaps/digestives etc)
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold milk & leave over a bowl of warm water till clear & melted.
- Melt the dark chocolate & loosen it with 100ml cream. Microwave for 20-25 seconds to blend well if need be. Leave to cool.
- Whisk the curd cheese & sugar in the processor till smooth. Add the melted dark chocolate ganache & whisk till well blended. Then add the gelatin mixture & blend again. Adjust sweetness if required.
- Melt the white chocolate with 2 tbsps cream, & stir until smooth.
- Hull & halve about 10 strawberries for the sides if you like, reserved 3-4 for topping, & hull, chop the rest.
- Line a 7″ spring from tin with baking parchment on the bottom & sides. Stand the halved strawberries all around, tip facing downwards & drizzle some white chocolate around the circumference to hold them in place. (You can omit this if you are short on time).
- Scatter the chopped strawberries on the bottom of the tin. Pour the chocolate mixture gently over this, careful that the standing strawberries don’t get shifted. I have just an 8″ spring from tin, so I used a ring in the centre to get a decent height to my cake.
- Set in the fridge for at least 4 hours, check to see that the top is slightly firm. Then mix the melted butter into the breadcrumbs, & tbsps by tbsp spread gently but quickly over the top to form a uniform crust. You need to this a little quick as the butter will begin to set in contact with the chilled cheesecake. Allow to set a further 4 hours or overnight.
- Invert onto a dessert plate, garnish the top & serve chilled slices!