STRAWBERRY CURD CHEESE TARTLETS
Inspired by Helen @ Tartlette
Makes six 3-inch tartlets.
100gms butter, at room temperature
¼ cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 to 2 tablespoons of cream, optional
50gms dark chocolate at room temperature
- Whip the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, scraping the bottom and side of the bowl in between each addition.
- Add the flour and salt and beat until the dough just starts to come together. If the dough seems too crumbly, add some cream, one tablespoon at a time.
- Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it a little to a small disk and wrap it well in plastic wrap. Refrigerate one hour before using.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Flour your work area well and start rolling the dough from the center out, lifting it from the work area every 2-3 times you roll over it. Do not be afraid to flour the work area well as you feel the dough getting warmer and softer.
- Cut out six 4 inch rounds and fit them inside six 3 inch tartlet molds pastry dough inside them, patting the dough in with your fingertips if needed.
- Place a small piece of parchment paper or foil inside the tart shells, fill with beans or pie weights and blind bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Grate chocolate over the warm bases when they come out of the oven. Let cool to room temperature.
- Chop up the strawberries, reserving a couple for garnishing. Put them in a saucepan with 1/3 cup sugar & 1/8 cup water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes till fragrant & syrupy.
- Cool, blend with an immersion blender, strain & chill (Can be done a day in advance. It will get thicker as it chills).
- Whip the curd cheese well till smooth.
- Add the cream, sugar & 3/4 of the strawberry syrup with cream & whip till smooth. Taste for sweetness, increase if needed. Swirl the remaining syrup through the mixture gently.
- Pipe into tart shells, & garnish with grated chocolate, pistachio nuts & strawberries.
- Chill until ready to serve.
I am one of the 50 bloggers & chefs whose recipes have been included in the free STRAWBERRY mobile app for iPhone and iPod touch.
Watsonville, CA (January 13, 2009) – The California Strawberry Commission today announced the availability of the free “STRAWBERRIES” mobile app for iPhone and iPod Touch users featuring more than 50 mouth-watering strawberry recipes from some of the most popular food bloggers and chefs from around the web. Individually selected for that “wow” factor, these recipes will inspire families, foodies, cooks, the health conscious and strawberry lovers everywhere to get even more creative with strawberries.iPhone and iPod touch users can now access different strawberry recipes complete with vivid food photography and step-by-step directions to create that special dish for those around you. The free app neatly categorizes recipes under Snacks & Appetizers, Breakfast, Cocktails, Main Courses, Salads and Sweets. Recipes range from traditional favorites, such as shortcakes and pies to more exotic dishes like strawberry dumplings, salsa and ceviche.Individual recipes can be shared with friends, family and online networks by simply posting the recipe to Facebook or Twitter with the click of a button. Recipes can also be emailed to anyone for viewing or printing.AvailabilityThe Strawberries app for the iPhone and iPod touch is available immediately as a free download at the Apple iTunes Store. Click here to download: http://bit.ly/8LANJo