Almonds – 100gms
Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup
Almond essence – 1 tsp
Water – 1/4 cup approximately
Golden Syrup – 1 tbsp
- Bring a pan of water to a boil. Drop the almonds in; boil for 1-2 minutes. Drain.
- Peel the skins off the almonds. They should easily slip off.
- Spread the skinned almonds onto a baking tray and allow to dry under a medium-hot grill (180 degrees C) for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool, and then grind in a coffee grinder into almond meal. Do the grinding in short spells, & stir each time to avoid it becoming pasty.
- Turn the meal into a bowl; stir in the sugar, followed with the almond extract.
- Add the syrup, mix in well. Now add cold water, 1 tbsp at a time, to get a play dough like consistency. Knead till smooth.
- Keep covered in cling wrap until you use it. Break off bit by bit, kneading colours into the dough to colour it, and shape as required.
- I rolled out the dough for the flowers & leaves, using mini cookie-cutters to cut out shapes. Flowers for the flowers & heart shapes for the leaves.
- The kids made the bugs etc just like using play dough…& had a great time. Do remember that this dough is quite sticky at times, and tends to dry a little if kept open for too long.
- Note : Try & use it only bit by bit. It’s really delicious too, so do remember to have a bite!!!
“The art of dining well is no slight art, the pleasure no slight pleasure.”
Michel Eyquem de Montaigne, French essayist