5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
6 egg yolks
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Let egg whites stand at room temperature in a very large bowl for 30 minutes. Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
Melt chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat; cool. Stir egg yolks and vanilla into the cooled chocolate mixture. Set mixture aside.
Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating about 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
Fold about 1 cup of the egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold chocolate mixture into remaining egg white mixture. Sift about one-third of the flour over the egg mixture; gently fold in. (If the bowl is too full, transfer mixture to a larger bowl.) Repeat twice, sifting and folding in one-third of the flour at a time.
Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degree C oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Completely cool cake in the pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan. Brush crumbs from edges of cake. (Top crust will be slightly flaky.) Remove bottom of pan from cake.
Whipping cream – 400ml
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Icing Sugar – 3-4 tbs (according to taste)
- Cool, and then slice horizontally into 2 layers .
- Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla essence till it holds peaks
Adjust the sweetness as required.
- Reserve 2-3 tsps for each colour you intend to use in small bowls.
- With the rest, sandwich the cake using 1/3.
- Frost the cake with the remaining whipped cream.
- HERE IS YOUR CANVAS….
Using zipbags with the corners snipped off, paint on whatever you desire with as many different colours.
- THIS GIVES PURE THERAPEUTIC PLEASURE…and tastes great too.
- I finished it off with a sprinkling of pink chocolate shavings, which I made with melting white chocolate, and colouring it pink with food colour.
- Chill well before serving!