CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA…An Indian Chicken Curry Recipe (as mild as you like)
Chicken – 1 small/cut into pieces ( or boneless if you prefer) 600-750gms
Thick yogurt- 3
Oil – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – of 1 lemon
Garlic – 1 tsp
Ginger -1 tsp
Roasted Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1tsp
Red Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp (or paprika for colour)
Salt to taste
For Curry :
Onions -2 medium
Garlic- 6 pods
Ginger – 1″ piece
Tomato puree – 200ml (we get 200ml tetrapaks here)
Green chillies – 1-2 / finely chopped
Haldi – 1/4 tsp
Dhania – 2 tsp (coriander powder)
Zeera pdr – 1-2 tsp(roasted cumin powder)
Salt to taste
Juice of 1/2 lime ( 1 tsp)
Butter – 2 tbs
Cream – 2 tbs or more if heart allows/desires!!
Capsicum – 1 small , julienned, very optional!
Fresh Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash and dry chicken pieces. Make tiny slits with a sharp knife to allow the marinade to seep in.
- Mix the marinade ingredients, and put the chicken pieces into it. Mix in well, and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Grill till done and browned…approx 8-10 minutes on either side, turning once. Be sure to place tray underneath to catch the drippings!!
Meanwhile…for the curry/gravy:
- Grind onions, garlic and ginger. Put 2 tbs of oil in pan and fry this ground onion masala for 7-10 mins.
- Now add tomato puree, green chillies, lime juice and dry spices. Fry for 3-5 mins.
- Simmer and put in butter and cream and simmer, covered for approx 15 mins till oil rises to surface.
- Now gently slide in chicken pieces and simmer for further 10-15 mins till chicken heated right through with gravy. Adj seasonings etc.
- If the curry is too thick, add the drippings from the grill tray.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and cream swirls if desired!
Note: Can use cottage cheese cubes (paneer) instead of chicken for veggie version